Morecambe and Wise

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Katharine

Morecambe and Wise

Post by Katharine »

I've just been watching the Morecambe and Wise Christmas Special (1981 I think) and Eric calls Ernie 'Enid Blyton', as he's just finished writing a play.

I hope he wasn't suggesting that 'the plays what Ernie wrote' were of a similar standard to Enid Blyton's :lol:
Society Member
dsr

Re: Morecambe and Wise

Post by dsr »

I think probably he was referring to Ernie's quantity of output. There's another scene somewhere in M&W where he mentions the 13 plays that Ernie wrote one day. And then goes on to ask what he did in the afternoon.
DSR
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Being in the North on holiday at the moment, we went over to Morecombe on Sunday afternoon, from Blackpool, and saw the statue on the sea front of Eric Morecombe. The song, Bring Me Sunshine, is written on all the steps leading up to the statue. A nice tribute to a great person I thought.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I think the comment was related to the amount of work Ernie had produced, it was just lovely to hear her mentioned. Especially as it was the 1980s and certainly in the school I was at, her work was considered not the sort of books we should be reading.

'Bring Me Sunshine' is probably my favourite song of all time. I don't know why, maybe it brings back happy memories of my childhood watching the shows with the family. Whatever the reason, it always brings a smile to my face no matter how often I hear it.
Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

My favourite line ever in Morecambe and Wise was Eric talking about Ernie's new play: "This is his latest masterpiece. He wrote it coming down in the lift." :lol:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

lizarfau wrote:My favourite line ever in Morecambe and Wise was Eric talking about Ernie's new play: "This is his latest masterpiece. He wrote it coming down in the lift." :lol:
I don't think even Enid Blyton managed to write something that quickly :lol:

I don't remember that particular line. I think my favourite line, although not about Ernie writing was when a police car goes racing past the window with it's siren on. Eric says something along the lines "he won't sell much ice cream doing that speed". :lol: :lol:

I also used to love Eric throwing an invisible ball up in the air and catching it in a paper bag.
Society Member