DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Famous Five Serials

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
George@Kirrin

DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Famous Five Serials

Post by George@Kirrin »

I hope you all saw the fliers at the EB day for those who attended.

I collected on and am proud to say I've placed my order by phone and am the first person to order the set; Five on a Treasure Island and Five have a Mystery to Solve

Whether that makes me passionate or obsessed I've yet to determine, but please, everyone, show your support for the BFI who've set about releasing the films, and Norman Wright who's played a big part in it, get your copy ordered and let's make it a success!!!

Only a few months till launch in Sept!
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Adventure Serials

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I meant to pick up and flyer and forget :oops:

Can we order the DVD's through the Society, or do we have to have a flyer? Help! How can I get the DVD's now?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I meant to pick up and flyer and forget :oops:

Can we order the DVD's through the Society, or do we have to have a flyer? Help! How can I get the DVD's now?

8)
I have a spare flyer, Julie. I'll post it to you. :D

I sent off my order for both DVDs yesterday. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Pretty please, can anyone get a flyer for me too. I was unable to attend the day and desperately want to buy these also. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's kind of you Eddie. Zoe is also posting me a flyer over, so if two arrive at Owl's Dene, I'll keep one back for someone else who is in dire need of a flyer. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:That's kind of you Eddie. Zoe is also posting me a flyer over, so if two arrive at Owl's Dene, I'll keep one back for someone else who is in dire need of a flyer. :)

8)
Couldn't they be photo-copied?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've probably missed something somewhere, but could someone please explain this to me. Or is it something only something available to those who attended on Saturday? Apologies if there is a link or something which has already mentioned it. I have looked this time - honest :)
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

The British Film Institute are issuing two Famous Five films on DVD on 13th September, Katharine: Five on a Treasure Island from 1957 and Five Have a Mystery to Solve from 1964. These can be obtained directly from the BFI at a special price if you pre-order them. It's probably best to phone them for further details. Their telephone number is 0207 957 4767 - quote EBF1 and ask for Trevona Thomson.

The flyer tells us that both DVDs come with lavish, detailed, fully illustrated booklets containing newly commissioned articles by renowned Enid Blyton expert Norman Wright.

Regarding the flyers:
Moonraker wrote:Couldn't they be photo-copied?
Yes, I'm sure photo-copied flyers would be accepted for orders, Nigel.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Eddie - Mine's in the post to Julie, perhaps you an send one to Wayne.

It's all just so exciting :D
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I shall photocopy my order form tomorrow and send off. This is a great opportunity to own these two films and Norman Wright and the BFI are to be congratulated for the work and struggle they must have put in to make the release possible.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

George@Kirrin wrote:Eddie - Mine's in the post to Julie, perhaps you can send one to Wayne.

It's all just so exciting :D
I've already posted my spare flyer to Julie, Zoe but if Wayne telephones the BFI at the number I've given in my earlier post, I'm sure they'll be able to either send him an order form/flyer or take his order on the phone.

I'm really looking forward to getting my DVDs in September. I agree it's all so exciting! Great stuff! :D

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

[quote="Eddie Muir"]The British Film Institute are issuing two Famous Five films on DVD on 13th September, Katharine: Five on a Treasure Island from 1957 and Five Have a Mystery to Solve from 1964. These can be obtained directly from the BFI at a special price if you pre-order them. It's probably best to phone them for further details. Their telephone number is 0207 957 4767 - quote EBF1 and ask for Trevona Thomson.

The flyer tells us that both DVDs come with lavish, detailed, fully illustrated booklets containing newly commissioned articles by renowned Enid Blyton expert Norman Wright.

Thank you for that. I've just had a quick look on their web site and couldn't find any info, so I'll try to contact them tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen the films, but imagine they will be a 'must have' for any collector.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You have rather jumped the gun on this, it is a pity nobody bothered to check with me first! I have well over a hundred flyers and I was going to post something on the website about it, but I am waiting for an email that I am getting from the BFI tomorrow. These aren't being released until September, so it might be best to wait another day or two! :roll:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Tony, I'll wait and read what you have to say before I do anything else. As I wasn't there on Saturday I was afraid I might miss out on a great opportunity as I hadn't got one of the flyers mentioned. I'll know who to ask another time. :oops:
Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I'd like a copy of both films, too. But I think I'll wait for some time till I order them. The offer is valid till September after all. A year to remember, albeit an expensive one, for all fans of Blyton works in moving pictures.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"