DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Famous Five Serials

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Adventure Serials

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Lucky Star wrote:Ok My copy of Five on a Treasure Island has now arrived. It looks just as impressive as the other one so I think I know what I will be doing on my next days off. :D
Me too. Arrived a little earlier. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Just got mine from Play.com. Glad to have a month off, so plenty of time to watch them! :D
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Month off? Lazy git. :wink: Enjoy your time, I know you guys earn it with that job you do. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:Month off? Lazy git. :wink: Enjoy your time, I know you guys earn it with that job you do. :D
I guess I'm officially unemployed. I've had my P45 through the post, and my final salary! Still, it's only for a month, then back part-time. I think I can handle that!

Back on topic, I have just watched the first 15 minutes of Five Have a Mystery to Solve, and I don't think I can watch any more - it's dreadful! I have never seen such hammy acting and such a bunch of miscast actors. George being mistaken for a boy? With that chest and hairstyle? I don't think so. Dick looks more suited to be Sniffer from Mystery Moor than a middle class posh kid!

I am just glad that I didn't waste £30 on train fares + expenses in going to London to watch this terrible film.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Not seen you that riled up in ages. Retirement doesn't settle well with you, it seems! :P Sure you aren't exaggerating the poor quality of the film?

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:I have just watched the first 15 minutes of Five Have a Mystery to Solve, and I don't think I can watch any more - it's dreadful! I have never seen such hammy acting and such a bunch of miscast actors. George being mistaken for a boy? With that chest and hairstyle? I don't think so. Dick looks more suited to be Sniffer from Mystery Moor than a middle class posh kid!

I am just glad that I didn't waste £30 on train fares + expenses in going to London to watch this terrible film.
:lol: If you're already feeling like that after the first fifteen minutes I dread to think how you'll react to some of the later scenes if you get round to watching them, especially the part with the badger! :wink:

Those of us who saw Five Have a Mystery to Solve at the BFI enjoyed it immensely despite all its faults - in some places we were laughing for all the wrong reasons but it's a very lively and entertaining period piece nevertheless and I'm delighted that I now own both CFF Famous Five films on DVD.

About the DVDs themselves, the Eileen Soper covers are attractive enough but I'd have preferred it if each cover had featured a still from the film.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Those of us who saw Five Have a Mystery to Solve at the BFI enjoyed it immensely despite all its faults - in some places we were laughing for all the wrong reasons ...
I cannot find any humour in a travesty of Enid's work! What a waste of money! :evil:
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Moonraker wrote:
I cannot find any humour in a travesty of Enid's work! :evil:
At the showing of Five on a Treasure Island at the cinema in Wareham a couple of weeks ago, Rosie and I amused ourselves thoroughly by boo-ing the baddies, and giving a very loud cheer everytime the Gay Viking got a name check :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I think we all agreed last year that some of the actors were not ideal for their parts, George in particular. But I am sticking to my feeling that Five Have a Mystery to Solve was a very good and exciting film. In fact I still feel that its a rare instance of the film being more exciting than the book, which was one of the less exciting entries in the FF series. Certainly not a waste of money IMO. But each to their own, and not everyone will agree with me. A divergance of opinions makes for healthy argument. :D

I do think you should watch the whole thing Nigel, parts of it are very good. And if you dont like it you can always just sit and watch the water rise. :wink: (Watch the whole film and you'll understand that one :lol: )
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote: I still feel that its a rare instance of the film being more exciting than the book...
So do I, and that's something I hardly ever say!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: I do think you should watch the whole thing Nigel, parts of it are very good. And if you dont like it you can always just sit and watch the water rise. :wink: (Watch the whole film and you'll understand that one :lol: )
I was certainly seeing my blood pressure rise, John!
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Moonraker wrote:I have just watched the first 15 minutes of Five Have a Mystery to Solve, and I don't think I can watch any more - it's dreadful! I have never seen such hammy acting and such a bunch of miscast actors.
Oh dear! :( But look on the bright side, some films are so awful that they are actually very good indeed and achieve cult status by being so. Plan 9 From Outer Space for example.

I must agree on the subject of miscasting though, as the actress playing George had no stage presence at all. However, I am still very pleased with my BFI DVD's as they represent Children's Film Foundation film serials from two very different eras.

If Five Have a Mystery To Solve made your blood pressure rise Moonraker, then wait until you watch Five on a Treasure Island! :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Petermax wrote: If Five Have a Mystery To Solve made your blood pressure rise Moonraker, then wait until you watch Five on a Treasure Island! :lol:
Don't worry, Petermax, Norman kindly made me a copy a few years back, and I ploughed my way through it then. Aunt Margaret, my [censored]! :evil:

As Enid was still writing FF novels when these films were released, I wonder what she thought of them?
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've just realised that The Gay Viking is refered to as a SHE

:shock:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've not managed to watch both my DVD's as yet. I do have a copy of Island, so I'll probably start off with Mystery to Solve!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member