DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Famous Five Serials

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Re: DVD Release of the '57 and '64 Famous Five Serials

Post by Timmy254 »

The German DVD of "Five on a Treasure Island" will be released on 15th April, 2011.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Good news for our German colleagues. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Karli
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE 1978/79 TV series

Post by Karli »

Timmy254 wrote:The German DVD of "Five on a Treasure Island" will be released on 15th April, 2011.
...including English audio track too. Here is the DVD cover

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/cas/v-de-1957dvd.jpg
Tilda
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Malory Towers, Adventure

Post by Tilda »

Hooray! Received and watched Five On A Treasure Island yesterday. Marvellous, especially the underwater scenes.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well, after nearly 2 years I finally got around to watching the first episode of Five Have Mystery to Solve. Can't say I'm impressed. George looked so much like a girl, if her chest wasn't enough to give it away then her plucked eyebrows were! As for Dick, why on earth did they cast some one who looked about 3 years younger than Anne and who speaks with a Cockney accent?

The script was dreadful, I know they had a lot of information to fit into only 15 minutes, but they turn up at someone's for tea, are then promptly told the lady is off - no tea served from what I saw. Later Anne says they decided to stay because of the view - but that's the first mention or sight of it, talk about disjointed.

One final quibble, why is Wilfrid from a local orphanage? It's been a long time since I read the book, but I'm sure he was Mrs. Layman's grandson.

All I can say, is I hope the rest of the DVD improves, or sadly that will be one Christmas present that will be left to collect dust on my shelf.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I was surprised to note that the whole 1957 Five On A Treasure Island film can be watched in its entirety on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytTQStpxems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm afraid I'm with you on the Myster to Solve, DVD Katharine. I wasn't really all that impressed, and George was definately too girly, and Dick much to young. Obviously the people who did the casting hadn't read the books properly!

I do enjoy watching Treasure Isand though. Probably because it's got more nostalgic value about it, it's in Corfe of course, which I love, and it's a bit more like the story!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I liked Treaure Island better. It didn't stick strictly to the book, and the acting and dialogue was a little unrealistic in places, but over all I felt it had a better feel of being in keeping with The Famous Five. Julie I also agree about the appeal of it being set in Corfe Castle.

I know I've yet to watch the rest of Mystery to Solve but so far I do feel it's a little bit too modern compared to Treasure Island, well the clothes are.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

I loved the Mystery to Solve film. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that a bunch of us met up to see it at the BFI in London but I enjoyed it immensely. Yes George was a bit too old to pass as a boy but it must be reasonably difficult to find young girls who look like boys and are also actresses.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just watched the second episode, and I'm wondering whether the film should really have been called 'The Adventures of Wilfrid', as the FF have hardly been on screen!

From what I've seen so far, I think the film is only very loosly based on the book, maybe that's because the book wouldn't transfer to film very easily. If that's the case, I can't help wondering whether it wouldn't have been better to either choose another book, or even not bother.

Still can't accept Dick's accent, it just doesn't make sense, why would one sibling speak so differently?

However, my 7 year old is loving it so far, and is begging to watch the next instalment, so maybe that's the whole point, it's aimed at children, and children would appear to enjoy it.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Katharine wrote:However, my 7 year old is loving it so far, and is begging to watch the next instalment, so maybe that's the whole point, it's aimed at children, and children would appear to enjoy it.
Criticism from anyone over the age of 12 doesn't matter. :lol:

The film contains most of the book's elements although it pads out the story by introducing a sub-plot about the two gamekeepers. Stick with it; it gets very exciting once they actually reach Whispering Island.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I'll definitely stick with it. I think perhaps I'll make sure I only watch it in the company of an under 12. After all, what would I know, I'm only an adult? :wink:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I gave up on Mystery to Solve. A dreadfully dreadful film!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I take it you didn't like it then! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just finished watching Five Have A Mystery To Solve. If taken as just an adventure story for children, then I have to say it's quite a good film, I'm sure if I'd been watching it on a Saturday morning when I was under 12 then I'd have throroughly enjoyed it. My daughter certainly seemed to like it, trying to predict how the chidren would escape.

I can forgive the addition of the sub plot with the rabbits, as the original story probably wouldn't have been thriling enough. The drama of the ball stuck in Timmy's throat might have been difficult to re-enact, and the cosy chat with Lucas the gamekeeper wouldn't keep the children on the edge of their seats in a cinema. I can even forgive casting a teenage girl as George. Although she looked like a girl, her character in the film was similar to that in the books. Unfortunately though for me, the whole thing was spoilt every time Dick opened his mouth. The way he spoke and stood was totally out of character. At one point he wanted to know if there was any 'grub' as he was hungry. I'm sure he would have made an excellent circus/gypsy boy in a different story, but he was totally miscast as one of the 5.

I've drawn the conclusion that whoever was in charge of casting hadn't ever read the books and just had a brief overview that they needed 4 chidren, one of whom was always hungry, no idea of his age or relationship to the others. Either that, or he was a relation to one of the directors or such like and they just stuck him in as a favour.

My apologies to the actor concerned if he's reading this, I'm not criticising his acting ability, just that he was all wrong for this part (in my opinion).
Society Member