Blatant plug time. Apologies but...

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Blatant plug time. Apologies but...

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote:I intend to buy this one but think I will wait until it is actually published, then do a price comparison.
Me too, John. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Gary has been absent from these forums for quite a while now. Zoe ( George@Kirrin) also hasn't commented for a while (unless I am mistaken, although she does check in regularly - as a moderator, I guess she has to!) I hope our friend isn't in hiding! :wink:
Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

It is good to learn that Gary''s book is about to be published. As a person who has published a book related to Enid Blyton, I can understand the difficulties of publishing a book related to her since her books are very so emotive in that it could be difficult to put pen to paper and come out with something after being emotionally-drained by the issues and plots in her books. Nonetheless, more books need be written on and about Enid Blyton since she remains one of those famous writers that has not beeen written about in comparison to many writers of her stature.
Stephen I.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

It's not exactly a book about Enid Blyton, but rather a book about the making of a TV series, albeit one based on one of her most iconic and best-known series of books. Still, I fancy that there will be rather more talk of actors, filming locations and so on than about Enid herself.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Smuggler's Top
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island / The Famous Five

Post by Smuggler's Top »

Just received the following in an email from Hirst Publishing
“Hi everyone

I’m really, really sorry but real life seems to have got in the way of fun stuff, like writing books about The Famous Five. *But* I’m still on the case, the book will happen (done quite a bit actually) but there’s going to be a bit of a delay. Well, I say “a bit” I mean “quite a lot” because I honestly know it’s not going to come out before next summer, in 2011.

It’s surprisingly hard to write about yourself - anyone who has ever met me will find that hard to believe cos I can usually talk about myself happily for, well days on end – but writing it all down, that’s really freakishly difficult. And actually quite uncomfortable cos by the time you’ve written “I” for the twenty-eighth time, you start to doubt anyone’s going to tolerate your ego beyond page six! But it will happen, that’s a promise. Just later than I and Hirst Books originally hoped (and thank you Tim Hirst for being so patient with me).

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Gary Russell

18th November 2010
Bit of a shame, but at least there is news on the book... :(
Whatever awaits behind closed doors,
Strange noises in the cellar or the sound of creaky floors,
We never let a mystery pass us by,
Just leave a clue and leave the rest to the Famous Five.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure

Post by RDMorrell »

I just got that e-mail too. :(

Bad news. :( I suppose that's better than no news, though. But not out until the next northern summer now? As AC/DC might sing, hell's bells! :evil: It's an awfully long wait for something I've already sunk money into! But as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait (and in this case, wait and wait and wait) ...

BTW, Hirst is offering a 10% discount on any other books on their Web site. Which is nice. Shame Gary's book is the only one on there that I've had any interest in though. Oh well, been a while since I last looked at it, so perhaps I'll check it out again. :|
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Pity about the delay but these things happen I suppose. I'll still buy it when it finally does appear. 8)
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: 24 hour character

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Yes, it is a shame, but considering Gary is a well loved and respected friend of the society, i'm not overly bothered. It'll be worth waiting for. (I hope:-) ) :(
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Re: 24 hour character

Post by Moonraker »

Wayne Pyer wrote:Yes, it is a shame, but considering Gary is a well loved and respected friend of the society, i'm not overly bothered. It'll be worth waiting for. (I hope:-) ) :(
I'd be pretty livid if it was any other book that I'd paid for before it was even written! As you say, Wayne, it is Gary, and we know he's not a con artist. I think the best bet is to forget all about the book, and if/when we receive it, it will be a bonus. I just hope I am not too old to be able to read it! :D
Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

As someone who has always found it very difficult to keep up to schedules with written assignments of any kind - I still hate filling in forms - you have my sympathy Gary. :)
I totally agree with Nigel, that it won't be helpful to bite our fingernails waiting for the book. Let's just put it out of our mind for a while.
Just think of the wonderful day when we will come home one day to find the book in the letterbox. :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I'am not too disappointed, because I know that Gary will come up with the goods as soon as he can. It will be worth waiting for. I'd rather wait for a well thought out book, which contains all the memories that the Author can recall, rather than a rushed effort that is sketchy and is missing half the juicy bits !! :D
Also, We must remember that Gary is a very busy chap and it's never a 9 to 5 schedule in his line of work. We'll cut him some slack, this time ! :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe Gary will find the time to post on this thread, regarding his book. Doubtless he is a busy chap, but he does look in regularly.

I wonder what will come first - Gary's book or a UK Famous Five DVD set?! :D
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I wonder what will come first - Gary's book or a UK Famous Five DVD set?! :D
I think I've got more chance of knowing the winning Lottery numbers than to guess when the DVD set will be out !
:D :D
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Hi,

I've pre-ordered Gary's book too and really looking forward to getting it, whenever it arrives.
As previously mentioned I'd rather wait and get a polished article than a rushed version that's thrown together to meet a deadline. I'll savour it all the more when it arrives :-),

Ed
foodlover

Post by foodlover »

I just pre-ordered the book as well (using a different email address to the one I'm registered with here though). I reckon the book's something worth supporting. It'll be an interesting read when it comes out.