Blatant plug time. Apologies but...

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
George@Kirrin

Re: Blatant plug time. Apologies but...

Post by George@Kirrin »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pre order made!!!!

I'm now reduced to counting down the days till it's released... Gary - now you've an even BIGGER reason to attend Blyton Day this year - get it plugged there!

*wishes the year away*
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I just have a feeling having read your post, Zoe, that you might have missed my post elsewhere:-
The afternoon goes over to the boys and girls from the 70s Famous Five TV series. Gary, Marcus and Julie, 'Dick, Julian and Jo' together with scriptwriter Gail Renard, want to do a DVD-style commentary on Five Fall into Adventure - it should be very entertaining!
As you can see Gary is already coming to the EB Day!
221b
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog, Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs & Jack Trent

Post by 221b »

This sounds great Gary!

I see I've been beaten to Personal Anecdotage-Gate by several others. :wink: :twisted:

Gary, you'll be absolutely fine promoting your book to many hungry readers :D , just as long as you avoid posting in every thread imaginable [and some unimaginable :wink: ] the words "Interestingly enough, I have written a chapter on this topic in my book, 'The 1970s Classic Famous Five Television Series - A Personal Anecdotage' which is priced at ££.££ and available blah bah blah ad nauseam"...

[Repeat to fade]

You could do the above, but then I'd have to kill you, I'm afraid, as I've reached saturation point with 'Personal Anecdotage'.

*returns to padded cell*

As you were.
Helen

‘Well, sir, he’s a whole lot of red-headed boys, sir.’
"This 'Ere 'Ouse Is Habsolutely Hempty"
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's actually worrying me how thick skinned one particular 'plugger' is..... I'd be mortified after just one of the scathing comments we forumites have made on the subject.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
221b
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog, Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs & Jack Trent

Post by 221b »

"It's interesting you should mention Thick Skin, Fiona - I devote a whole chapter to Thick Skin in my book "Thick Skin, A Perso......""[/i]

*gets dragged away, kicking and screaming, by Registered Mental Nurses*
Helen

‘Well, sir, he’s a whole lot of red-headed boys, sir.’
"This 'Ere 'Ouse Is Habsolutely Hempty"
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

221b wrote:"It's interesting you should mention Thick Skin, Fiona - I devote a whole chapter to Thick Skin in my book "Thick Skin, A Perso......""[/i]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Off topic I know, Sorry Gary. :) But we now have another famous saying to add to those of Churchill - "We'll fight on the beaches," - Queen Victoria - "We're not amused"- we now have - "In my book" ...

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

But we now have another famous saying to add to those of Churchill - "We'll fight on the beaches," - Queen Victoria - "We're not amused"- we now have - "In my book" ...
Aren't you arwarding a certain person too much honour by putting his (in)famous quote in a line with Mr Churchill and Queen Victoria? :roll:
Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Dick Kirrin wrote: Aren't you arwarding a certain person too much honour by putting his (in)famous quote in a line with Mr Churchill and Queen Victoria? :roll:
Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Good Point Dick. Wrong phrase, but you know what I mean :wink: :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Brilliant - the book we've been waiting nearly 30 years for. I can't wait......!!!!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

221b wrote:"It's interesting you should mention Thick Skin, Fiona - I devote a whole chapter to Thick Skin in my book "Thick Skin, A Perso......""[/i]

You dont by any chance mean Registered Mental Health Nurses and not that the nurses themselves are mental??? Though I'm sure you'd drive them to insanity :P
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

The book looks great, Gary! I'll see what I can do to get a copy. :D

I just looked up the meaning of anecdotage: the state of being advanced in age and strongly inclined to tell reminiscent anecdotes.. And then I looked for anecdote: A short account of an interesting or humorous incident

Somehow I now get the feeling the title doesn't fit in the least!

Society Member
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Gary Russell wrote:http://www.hirstbooks.com/garyrussell.htm

This might hopefully interest some of you :D
Great news, Gary! This book is a "must have" for me! It seems it is still in work, isn't it? If you need any new photos of the FF-locations feel free to contact me. I presume you have seen me photos (in comparison with screenshots from TV) on the German fanpage.

Cheers,
Poxy
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I just have a feeling having read your post, Zoe, that you might have missed my post elsewhere:-
The afternoon goes over to the boys and girls from the 70s Famous Five TV series. Gary, Marcus and Julie, 'Dick, Julian and Jo' together with scriptwriter Gail Renard, want to do a DVD-style commentary on Five Fall into Adventure - it should be very entertaining!
As you can see Gary is already coming to the EB Day!

You're right Tony, I'd not read the post about Blyton Day 2010, I'd avoided it like the plague until I can get my leave authorised as I didn't want to get my hopes up, just to have them dashed!!
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Seven months down the line, and I am a little bemused. I clicked on Gary's link and got the Error 404 Page Not Found display! On checking the Hirst Publication website and doing a search for the title and author, there is now no mention of either the book or Gary Russell! When I paid Hirst Publication, via PayPal, on the 1st February, I thought the book was due to be released in the Autumn, and I was pre-ordering it.

Maybe Gary could let all of us know who have pre-ordered it, what is happening, and when the book will be published. There are a lot of £14.99s sitting around somewhere - I am curious to know where!
Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

It's still there :wink: :

http://www.hirstpublishing.com/Spies,_S ... 57195.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."