70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Leslie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by Leslie »

Petermax wrote:
Leslie wrote: hope they have been able to clean it up a bit quality-wise. I'm still watching Youtube..!
Fear not, you will be amazed at what can be done with decades old broadcast tapes. I have DVD's of various TV shows from the 1960's and the quality is pin sharp, it could have been shot yesterday. Iam quite sure that the DVD release of the 1970's Famous Five series will be subject to some tidying up where needed.
That's true. I do like watching The Professionals DVDs I've got. It would be good to be able to see what is going on during those night shots in the FF!
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Many thanks, Gary.

I wonder if we will see a UK release?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Zar Quon wrote:
Leslie wrote: Which although it sounds expensive is only 8 quid a disc, so it's not too bad,
Hmm, think I'll pass on this one. :shock:
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Moonraker wrote:
Zar Quon wrote: Which although it sounds expensive is only 8 quid a disc, so it's not too bad
Hmm, think I'll pass on this one. :shock:
It's not a bad average going rate for amount of eps/disc of archive telly. Especially on a newly listed item. Granted it's not *brilliant*, & I too would be greatly pleased were it cheaper but.........

ETA for a bit of comparison

Follyfoot - 6 discer - £34, RRP 50 quid

Just William - 4 discer - 17 quid, RRP £29.99
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Yes, the footage will be digitally remastered.
First, all episodes run through the HD scanner with a default setting (colour, brightness, contrast, colour saturation).
Scenes that are too dark or scenes with a green or blue cast (night scenes, scenes in tunnels etc.) have to be adjusted afterwards.
There are additional procedures for the subsequent digital image processing such as
- Archangel and DVNR (removes dirt, noise, scratches or drop-outs digitally, adjusts flickering and stabilises the image steadiness)
- Da Vinci (colour, brightness, improvement of contrast)

Here you can see how remastered night shots look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3RdlMkiy5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Timmy 254. It sounds as though this DVD set will be well worth getting. :D The Amazon.de listing mentions a booklet. Is the booklet only in German, or in English too?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Timmy254 wrote:Yes, the footage will be digitally remastered.
First, all episodes run through the HD scanner with a default setting (colour, brightness, contrast, colour saturation).
Scenes that are too dark or scenes with a green or blue cast (night scenes, scenes in tunnels etc.) have to be adjusted afterwards.
There are additional procedures for the subsequent digital image processing such as
- Archangel and DVNR (removes dirt, noise, scratches or drop-outs digitally, adjusts flickering and stabilises the image steadiness)
- Da Vinci (colour, brightness, improvement of contrast)

Here you can see how remastered night shots look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3RdlMkiy5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woah! You sound like you know what you're talking about! That would make it worthwhile! Must check your Youtube link... Wow! So that's what happened in that episode! That cleaned up well! Great!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That youtube clip really looks great. I take it thats from the new set? If its all like that then yes its really worth getting. We do need a few more details such as whether or not the booklet will be in English too or only German. That pricetag is going to put a lot of people off though.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Michelle Rowatt

Post by Michelle Rowatt »

Wikipedia still refuses to accept that Michele Gallagher is dead. Its depressing how boneheaded they can be.

Gary Russell should mention Michele's death in the next interview he gives - at least that would shut up Wikipedia.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Anyone from the UK ordered it yet?

I'm tempted but may wait to see if there is a UK release.
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Nick wrote:Anyone from the UK ordered it yet?
I've pre-ordered, but I might yet cancel.
Nick wrote:I'm tempted but may wait to see if there is a UK release.
http://www.renownpicturesltd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are possibly the people to badger, given that they've recently(ish) relesed a swathe of Southern tv.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, I *think* I've just pre-ordered a copy.

It will be interesting to see what turns up, my german isn't as good as it used to be!
Society Member
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I think I'm going to wait to see if it comes out in the UK! My German is not brilliant! (And fairly basic!) I have watched a couple of the German episodes on Youtube though and I've got a question: did the actors who played Uncle Quentin and Rogers do their own voice-overs? It sounds very like them (either that or it's my imagination!) To someone who is British, it is strange listening to German voices speak for the characters!
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Nick wrote:Well, I *think* I've just pre-ordered a copy.
The buttons are in much the same places as UK Amazon, plus you ought to be getting a confirmation mail....
Nick wrote:It will be interesting to see what turns up, my german isn't as good as it used to be!
Mines a bit rubbish.... :mrgreen:
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Leslie wrote:I think I'm going to wait to see if it comes out in the UK!
Drop Reknown a mail. The worst that'll happn is the'll say no. & uf you want to encourage them to release therest of Freewhelers & Rogues Rock whilst you're at it :wink:
Leslie wrote:My German is not brilliant! (And fairly basic!)
It's supposed to be having dual-audio I think (hope)
Leslie wrote:I have watched a couple of the German episodes on Youtube though and I've got a question: did the actors who played Uncle Quentin and Rogers do their own voice-overs? It sounds very like them (either that or it's my imagination!) To someone who is British, it is strange listening to German voices speak for the characters!
I think I recall reading that they did yes. Around here, or on wikiwakiwoopedia.