70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I do own the German version and the quality is quite good. For me as a German-speaking person, it is not too problematic to have the German dubbing or - if I set the language to "English" - to have to live with German subtitles.
When the German DVD set was released they didn't own the rights of the English soundtrack completely and therefore had to go that way.
An English release by the company that remastered the old tapes for the German version is underway as far as I know. The last date for a release I've heard about is April as you wrote.
So unless you want to learn or improve your German, I see no need to buy the German version in a rush when you could wait just 6 or 8 weeks more for the English. Unless the birthday is coming soon. In that case, a nice gift voucher could be another option...

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Sairbear74

Post by Sairbear74 »

Thank you very much. I had read previous posts about the German version an know he wouldnt like it, as i also think it would spoil it in some way. Do you have any idea of who may be selling the new English version and cost, is it possible to pre order?
It is his Birthday in a weeks time but can give him a print out of pre order form which will be great so he would have something to look forward to.
I have just ordered my 7 year old son the complete set of Famous Five books to not only encourage his reading and hopfully get him watching the DVD with his uncle, i have great memories of watching the TV programe and reading the books.
Thank you again
Sarah
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Well, according to the information we last received, the UK DVD release is due out in only a few weeks time. I must admit that I don't think it really is coming out in April, as it hasn't yet appeared on any online retail websites - and I would have expected to hear more positive noises from the people on here who we know are involved...

Assuming anyone actually knows anything new, is there any update?

Many thanks
P
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Your a tease Paul, everytime I see an update on this I think there is some news :o
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have a feeling of déjà vu coming on.....
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Moonraker wrote:I have a feeling of déjà vu coming on.....
What, again?
DSR
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Well, that's a start... :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

And some of 'em appear to be '90s series eps too...
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Hi everyone! The Famous Five 1978 series will be out in the UK in a boxed DVD set soon. We don't have the exact date yet but I'll let you know as soon as we do.

I'm also pleased to say there should be some exciting extras which we're doing for the UK version. Marris Harris, Gary Russell, Jennifer Thanisch, Richard Sparks and I are looking forward to getting together again for the extras. I'm sure we'll have fun and hopefully you all will too!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Wonderful news Gail, how glad I am to have waited for the UK release, I was so very close to purchasing the German version. I am particulary looking forward to the "Extras" on the boxed set. Any chance of Julie Davis (Jo the Gypsy) making an appearance? At the 2010 Enid Blyton Day, Julie gave a fascinating account of her time as a guest actress on the set of Five Fall Into Adventure. A filmed interview would certainly make very good viewing as a DVD Extra.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That is good news. Especially with the 'exciting extras'. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Many thanks for the news Gail. Very exciting. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Gary tweeted this morning:

"Making a flying visit to London to record stuff for Famous Five DVDs. Both @MarcusHarris and I have manky eyes at the mo, so we'll look c**p"

Positive news... :)

My Linktree
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

PaulGreaves wrote:Gary tweeted this morning:

"Making a flying visit to London to record stuff for Famous Five DVDs. Both @MarcusHarris and I have manky eyes at the mo, so we'll look c**p"

Positive news... :)
Gail Renaud posted something similar this morning. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.