70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Maybe Dick Kirrin could trawl through the papers from the time of the German release and find the 'article'.
So he could, but it will take time, sorry. We have final exams on that need being marked first. Maybe someone from the team involved in making the German DVD set could help us out sooner? :? Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to do it, the time is not exactly handy for it, that's all. :oops:

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks, Adrian. I too have decided to wait for a while and see what happens.
Me too, a few more months won't hurt.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

It would be interesting indeed to know in which newspaper that article appeared. Moviemax forwarded all articles on the DVD release to us and I can’t recall reading anything about the decision (whose?) to press for a UK release.
A UK release has definitely not been confirmed yet.

First a DVD label needs to be interested in releasing the series on DVD in the UK. As you all know, the German release cost a lot of money. Even if the DVD label in the UK would buy the remastered high definition footage from moviemax to save money and time, they’d still have to spend a fair amount of money on the whole project.
The contract negotiations between moviemax and the rightholders in the UK lasted more than four months.
A DVD label in the UK has to negotiate a contract first as well.

Furthermore there’s no guarantee that the UK release will be like the German release (i.e. Collector’s Edition). No guarantee for a booklet and no guarantee for a Bonus DVD. The licencing negotiations for pictures, video clips, etc. for the Bonus DVD were an arduous task because they were time-consuming and/or the licence fees were extremely high. And the negotiations can’t go on forever as the DVD has to hit the shelves on the announced date.
Another DVD label also means another budget and another concept.

I wish I had better news.
The Fanpage Team will do everything to get the ball rolling and we'll keep you posted.
But, even if I don’t like to say this, it might take another year or more before a DVD will be released in the UK.

Until there’s a confirmation from a DVD label or from us it’s better to take information about a possible release with a grain of salt.
Last edited by Timmy254 on 11 Dec 2010, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Thanks for clearing the mystery up regarding the UK release, Timmy 254. A thorough and easy explanation for all to understand. I must admit, It had become a bit of a confused mess until your post. Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long for the DVD release, but if we do, then so be it. I'll just keep watching the video's until that happy day comes. :D
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Hi,

Just thought that I'd share my impression of the German release of the Famous Five TV series.

I received it a few weeks ago and have watched most of the episodes and all of the bonus material.
It is very clear that it has been a 'labour of love' for all who were involved in producing this excellent package.

It's clear that a lot of time and effort has been put into making sure that everything that was available was put into the package. I especially thought that the slide show with the tribute to Michelle Gallagher, Sue Best and Michael Hinz was very touching.

I only wish that my German was better so that I could better enjoy the interview with Michael Hinz and read the booklet. Well done to all involved and I hope that the English version will maintain the same high standard. It would be a crime for a production company, motivated by making a quick buck on the back of the success of the German release, to release a stripped down version. Customers who revel in the nostalgia of their youth deserve better than that, please!!!,

Ed
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

@number 6, you're welcome! :D

@Ed, thanks, I'm pleased to hear that you like the DVDs. Rowan's translation of the German booklet will be available here soon :wink: .
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
john h
Favourite book/series: The Magic Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Moonface

Post by john h »

I remember seeing this series in the late seventies and loved it. I seem to remember though when it was originally shown there was a strike on ITV part way through the series and some of the episodes were postponed for a while. Would love to see it on dvd. :D
SKINNY

Post by SKINNY »

Clopper wrote:I am a bit confused. Amazon are selling the 70's on VHS tapes right now. I may get some and burn them to disc.

I would have thought that if they can sell the video then they should be selling the DVD as well.

I have great memories of the series cos my neice was just into the Five and shared the enthusiasm. She used to get the FF Annuals published at the time and I got to read them.
you can get the famous five 1970's on dvd in original english and german dubbing from amazon.de
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Hi! I just wanted to wish you all a Merry Xmas and a wonderful 2011! Thanks for all your support for the German DVD, which I'm going to watch over Xmas, so don't tell me how it ends!

And also many thanks for your kind words about my new book about John Lennon, GIVE ME A CHANCE. Much appreciated! I hope I'll be able to see you all at an Enid Blyton Day again soon, and ta for making our 2010 so memorable. Have a good one!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

GailRenard wrote:Hi! I just wanted to wish you all a Merry Xmas and a wonderful 2011! Thanks for all your support for the German DVD, which I'm going to watch over Xmas, so don't tell me how it ends!
Merry Christmas too Gail. It is indeed very heartening to see an official DVD release of the 1970's Famous Five series. As well as existing fans, there is of course a potential new audience. Let us hope that a UK release will take place sometime during 2011. :D

With regard to Give Me a Chance, I could not put this book down! I have since ordered two more copies as gifts for friends. :D
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Thank you so much, Petermax! You've made my Boxing Day. I hope your friends like my book too!
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Hi everyone, I've been reading the boards for some time but this is my first post - and it's about the German blu-ray release...

Has anyone in the UK got it yet? I notice on Amazon that the one reviewer on there says that on UK blu-ray/dvd players if you have the English audio then the German subtitles are on screen and unremovable. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm very tempted to buy given that a UK release might be decades away/never but would like to know if that's right or not.

Best,
P
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Paul!
PaulGreaves wrote:I notice on Amazon that the one reviewer on there says that on UK blu-ray/dvd players if you have the English audio then the German subtitles are on screen and unremovable. Can anyone else confirm this?
Yes, I'm afraid the DVD was designed that way (unless anyone knows how to get round it). It's for that reason alone that I haven't bought a copy.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

PaulGreaves wrote:I'm very tempted to buy given that a UK release might be decades away/never but would like to know if that's right or not.
I thought I'd wait until I have more information but now I think I should let you know that the DVD will be released in the UK in about three months :) .
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Really? I haven't seen this listed anywhere, usually Amazon would have it by now. Who's releasing it etc..? :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree