Famous Five 70ies series in German free TV again

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Famous Five 70ies series in German free TV again

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi,

the German station SuperRTL will broadcast the 70ies show again, after more than ten years. It'll start
August 9th 12.00.

Regards,
Wolfgang
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Re: Famous Five 70ies series in German free TV again

Post by Moonraker »

What a pity I am in the UK and can't access SuperRTL! :wink:
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Hi Wolfgang.

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know how to get this channel in the UK.

Wayne
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Wolfgang wrote:Hi, the German station SuperRTL will broadcast the 70ies show again, after more than ten years. It'll start August 9th 12.00.
This is excellent news for Famous Five 70's series fans residing in Germany. Be sure to set your VCR/DVDR, opportunities like this do not happen very often.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great news for German fans of the series. How long will this go on for? Will it be one episode per week? I only ask because I will be in Germany in mid September and it would be great to tune in on my hotel TV set.

I wonder whether or not, if the ratings are good, this might help move the cause of a DVD release forward. What do oithers think?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Awesome....Thanks Wolfgang. I think it's worthwhile to buy a DVD-recorder...spryly.

@Lucky Star...I think your German is good enough to enjoy....am I right in thinking?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yep PP its just about good enough. I always enjoy the series anyway though. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

peppermint peppy wrote:Awesome....Thanks Wolfgang. I think it's worthwhile to buy a DVD-recorder...spryly.
Buy that DVD recorder PP, I know you want to. :twisted: Here is a golden opportunity to obtain the entire series directly from the master tapes. This will suffice very nicely pending of course an official DVD release.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Petermax wrote: Buy that DVD recorder PP, I know you want to. :twisted: Here is a golden opportunity to obtain the entire series directly from the master tapes. This will suffice very nicely pending of course an official DVD release.
Hi Petermax,

I doubt that they're directly from the mastertape, if I'm not completely wrong SRTL broadcast some of them in cut versions, at least some episodes are relatively short, Fünf Freunde auf dem Leuchtturm (Demon's rock) is about 37 Minutes long in the version I have. What I can't tell if they sped up this episode like they did with the Tintin episodes, SRTL showed them in 20 minutes and Kika three years ago in about 22. But when you run them simultaneously the SRTL versions hurry away. Another reason may be the VCR, of course.

As it seems SRTL will show them Sundays, and I consider it quite probable that they will show about 45 minutes a session, naturally with commercials. So there's a good chance you'll be able to catch them during your stay, Lucky Star.

Those who can train their satellite dishes for Astra should be able to watch it - S(uper)RTL like many other German stations is not encrypted.

Regards,
Wolfgang
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lucky German fans. If we all wish hard maybe the series could be shown once more over hear!! :P

I'm sure Nigel would be glued to the TV set :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Wolfgang wrote:
Petermax wrote: Buy that DVD recorder PP, I know you want to. :twisted: Here is a golden opportunity to obtain the entire series directly from the master tapes. This will suffice very nicely pending of course an official DVD release.
Hi Petermax,

I doubt that they're directly from the mastertape, if I'm not completely wrong SRTL broadcast some of them in cut versions, at least some episodes are relatively short, Fünf Freunde auf dem Leuchtturm (Demon's rock) is about 37 Minutes long in the version I have. What I can't tell if they sped up this episode like they did with the Tintin episodes, SRTL showed them in 20 minutes and Kika three years ago in about 22. But when you run them simultaneously the SRTL versions hurry away. Another reason may be the VCR, of course.

As it seems SRTL will show them Sundays, and I consider it quite probable that they will show about 45 minutes a session, naturally with commercials. So there's a good chance you'll be able to catch them during your stay, Lucky Star.
Those who can train their satellite dishes for Astra should be able to watch it - S(uper)RTL like many other German stations is not encrypted.

Regards,
Wolfgang
Ooops.... sounds like LS intends to jump over the channel.
But Munich Beer Festival is not until between 19. Sept. and 4.Oct. this year . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Hello everybody,

as a German, I am very happy indeed that SRTL could finally be persuaded to broadcast the old series once more. Well, honestly, I like the English version better. They cost me a small fortune on ebay or Amazon, however. So, to hve all of them for free, it's cool.
As a word of comfort to all the fans who do not have access to German TV, or rather do not think they have, what about googleing for the satelite setup? SRTL is a non-encrypted private channel. Its full name is Super RTL. It might be possible to tune your receiver/lnb unit to another satelite. In Germany, we get it via ASTRA.
By the way, it might give the people responsible a clue that there is a market out there for a DVD collection. I know, they are doing their best, and it can neither be in their nor in our interest to start a long and costly lawsuit, which would happen if anybody with a rightful claim would be overlooked.
But if the quotes of people watching are high enough, we can show that the fan community is still big enough to be worth some effort.
Unfortunately, I will be in Ireland for at least one week in August and one in September, so I won't be able to watch them all.
@Wolfgang: If they are still using the tapes they used for the last rerun in 1996, they are definitly not fresh from the mastertape. We'll be lucky if they are digitally remastered. But whatever the quality will be, the Famous Five are back!
Cheers

Dick
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
MysteryOfTheGreatAuk
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Jack (Adventure)

Post by MysteryOfTheGreatAuk »

I was just watching the (German) 70s episode on youtube and I was surprised I saw a monkey jumping all over their kitchen! A monkey! I dont remember any of the 21 books having a monkey. What is this? Please reply.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tinker Hayling, who appears in books 19 (Demon's Rocks) and 21 (Together Again), has a monkey named Mischief.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

There are now some more broadcasting details - SuperRTL will show three episodes Saturdays 14.30-16.00 and repeat them the following Sunday 12.00-13.30. They'll start with "Five on Kirrin Island (1+2) And Five go adventuring again the first week, followed by Five go to Smuggler's top (1+2) and Five Go Off in a Caravan the following week. In the third week they seem to show the first three episodes again - quite confusing.

Cheerio,
Wolfgang