Famous Five 70ies series in German free TV again

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Petermax

Re: Famous Five 70ies series in German free TV again

Post by Petermax »

Are viewing figures available for this re-broadcasting of the Famous Five series I wonder? It must be remembered that the Five will probably have a whole new audience in the former G.D.R (East Germany), unless the series was broadcast there back in the 1970's. Did any exchange of televsion programmes between the East and West Germany ever take place? I suspect though, that the Famous Five would have been considered to be far too subversive during the Cold War era!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I dont think that any exchange of programmes took place during the cold war Petermax. However most East Germans could and did receive the West German TV stations and a great many did tune in to them as they were considered better than the DDR ones. Therefore a goodly number of DDR citizens must have seen the series. Viewing figures would be excellent though. If nothing else they would illustrate most graphically whether or not there is still an interest in the show, something which is vital for securing a DVD release.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

It would seem that the only exchange of television programmes during the Cold War era were those dreadful dreary cartoons from Czechoslovakia. :roll: However, I can just picture intrepid Famous Five fans in the old East Germany furtively watching TV but at the same time half expecting a sinister knock on the door. :wink:

The re-broadcasting of the series can only strengthen the case for its eventual DVD release.
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Petermax wrote:
peppermint peppy wrote:Awesome....Thanks Wolfgang. I think it's worthwhile to buy a DVD-recorder...spryly.
Buy that DVD recorder PP, I know you want to. :twisted: Here is a golden opportunity to obtain the entire series directly from the master tapes. This will suffice very nicely pending of course an official DVD release.
I'm not very technologically minded, but it seems to me that if someone records the whole series on a dvd recorder, they could maybe take the audio from the old video releases of the 80s, and dub the episodes that have been taped, with the English audio. The sound from the old videos, is pretty good, but the picture is the main problem. To have copies of all the eps from the master tapes, with English audio seems to be a good thing, as there won't be a dvd release for some time (or so I've heard.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

jchk4 wrote:
I'm not very technologically minded, but it seems to me that if someone records the whole series on a dvd recorder, they could maybe take the audio from the old video releases of the 80s, and dub the episodes that have been taped, with the English audio. The sound from the old videos, is pretty good, but the picture is the main problem. To have copies of all the eps from the master tapes, with English audio seems to be a good thing, as there won't be a dvd release for some time (or so I've heard.
In principle you're right, but there are several problems: If you use cassettes, there's a very good chance that the tape won't run smoothly, so the dubbing you will gain this way won't be in sync with other records. Additionally SuperRTL doesn't show the credits so purists are quite likely to be unhappy, especially with the two logos SuperRTL keeps showing.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Hoooooray!!!!I've got 5 DVDs of all broadcasted series of FF78/79 in German language. I'm sooooo happy.
Next TV event is safe. Friends are invited and the beer is cooled very well.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

peppermint peppy wrote:Hoooooray!!!!I've got 5 DVDs of all broadcasted series of FF78/79 in German language. I'm sooooo happy.
Next TV event is safe. Friends are invited and the beer is cooled very well.
I hope you'll enjoy it. Unfortunately SuperRTL didn't gave in to the request of the Famous Five page runners and shortened some of the episodes, "Fünf Freunde auf dem Leuchtturm" is all together only about 38 minutes long, like 10 years ago. Maybe I'll find the time to compare the episodes with the English ones to see what was shortened (as if I hadn't enough on my plate already...)
peppermint peppy

Hi Wolfgang,
I have given the movies a new 3D DVD menu-surface by Nero9.
FF is a real treat. I missed them so much.
How on earth could I live without them? * mulls over

How do you think about a weekend with tents, campfire,grilled sausages and meat,salads not to forget beer and a great FF-movie show with a projector? Nice idea? Isn't it?
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Very blytonesque indeed apart of the projector, and naturally you mean ginger beer ;-)
peppermint peppy

Ok ginger beer.But it's too sweet for me. Enforcedly I will prefer then water. :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

peppermint peppy wrote:Enforcedly I will prefer then water. :lol:
Taken of course from a clear, cool spring which just happens to be bubbling up nearby!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

@ pepermint peppy: Smashing idea, really! I'm not trying to be funny, but how on earth are going to generate the power for the projector? In a truely Blytonesque way, the weekend must take place in a deserted area with no houses or other buildings in view... .
Would a portable generator be an answer, I wonder? If it can be done, I'd love to be in on it.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

peppermint peppy wrote:I have given the movies a new 3D DVD menu-surface by Nero9.
Delighted that you now have the full Famous Five series in your own language P.P. Don't forget to make a few backup copies.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

I'd love to have them on DVD! I've "only" got them on video. But actually it's more important that I can watch them over and over again now :wink:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."