Famous Five Cinema serial

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Famous Five Cinema serial

Post by Rob Houghton »

Earlier this year I mentioned a video of the 1957 version of Five on a Treasure Island, which I obtained from Norman wright. I mentioned it in connection with Raci's query about the Famous Five Stage Play, but I said I wasn't sure if there were any left.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Topsy-Turvy

Comments on the this TV series if you've seen it?

Post by Topsy-Turvy »

Hi Rob,
I'm sure this was brought up somewhere in the forum but as I've only joined recently I wouldn't know where to look. Has anyone on this forum seen this TV serial and what do they think of it?

On other film adaptions (Famous Five TV series aside has been well discussed elsewhere):
I was a bit put off by The Island of Adventure though I haven't watched it yet as they kids look well old! Jack and Philip look WRONG! Maybe that's why I keep putting it off...
The Castle of Adventure wasn't too bad despite the drastically altered plot (here and there) - at least Jack looked the Jack I envisaged, cockatoo Kiki and all!
TT
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

yeah what is it with those kids on the island of adventure they look about 30 sreiously in need of some botox! teenagers dont have wrinkles!
one person who I like is norman Bowler who played Bill Smugs he looks the part!
I have the large annual sized book of this not the video can you still get it?
Has anyone seen the castle of adventure as well that was released on video as far as I know they both were again I have the tv cover novel of this those actors look much better!
If anyone knows how to locate these videos please let me know!!
Moonraker

Re: Comments on the this TV series if you've seen it?

Post by Moonraker »

Topsy-Turvy wrote:Hi Rob,
Has anyone on this forum seen this TV serial and what do they think of it?
I have the complete serial on video. It was not a tv serial, but a film serial, shown at the cinema in 20 minute installments, one episode per week.
Although it was released in 1957, there are (to my amazement - remember Enid was still writing at this time)many changes to the novel. Kirrin Cottage was renamed Kirrin House and Aunt Fanny became Aunt Margaret. There were numerous other changes too. The children weren't too bad, but Timmy was not like the Eileen Soper illustration!
In spite of these major annoyances, it is certainly worth the money; after all, it is a piece of cinema history.
Wouldn't it be wonderful, if just once, a director could leave the script alone and portray the characters and locations as Enid intended. Imagine a Sherlock Holmes film, where the detective lived in Butcher Street and had a side-kick called Wilson. The Hound of the Buttervilles?
Last edited by Moonraker on 08 Aug 2005, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hi

It certainly is worth buying. Yes, some things are altered slightly, but then this was apparently with Enid's permission. She had some say in the children chosen for the cast too. That's why I like it, because it has the stamp of Enid on it. She was alive when it was filmed, and it is filmed in Corfe castle, Corfe village and around the Dorset coast.

I must say I found the modernisation of 'Castle of Adventure' far more annoying. Its really nothing like the book.

Rob
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

why dont they release it on video!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It was released on video in 1993. My version is a video, but I don't know if there are still any avaliable. Norman wright used to be in charge of them.
Moonraker

Re: hi

Post by Moonraker »

Kirrin wrote:why dont they release it on video!
Do you mean "Castle of Adventure" or the 1957 film, "Five on a Treasure Island"?
Last edited by Moonraker on 08 Aug 2005, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Kirrin

video

Post by Kirrin »

Hi,
I mean the castle of adventure done in the eighties
I think thats the only one they did do!
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Comments on the this TV series if you've seen it?

Post by Mac99 »

Topsy-Turvy wrote:Hi Rob,
I'm sure this was brought up somewhere in the forum but as I've only joined recently I wouldn't know where to look. Has anyone on this forum seen this TV serial and what do they think of it?
hi topsy, the post you are talking about was one of mine. i found some guy was selling dvds of this serial on the net but tony mentioned that it was dodgy because no dvd was ever released and as has been said in this post, it was only ever released on vhs and a limited number of 500.

funny thing is whilst it was originally serialised at the pictures in 1957 and released on vhs in the eighties, i could almost swaer that i have seen it on tv (btw not old enough to have seen it at the pictures).

hope that helps.

mac
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony said a similar thing to me, and asked if the link could be edited off my message.

This is why it suddenly disappeared! The DVD's are dodgy. Only buy this serial if it has been produced on VHS!

Rob
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

I would like to get my hands on a copy. So if anyone finds a source please put a note on the Forum. Someone could make a killing if they were to release it. :)
Topsy-Turvy

Post by Topsy-Turvy »

I guess the DVDs must be DVD-Rs...I've only been desperate once to buy a series I liked on DVD-Rs (it wasn't available on any video except in German) and will never do it again - on principle grounds...

Steve, no kidding about the profit margin on this serial...I saw it going for about £50+ on eBay one time (for ONE TAPE) and I thought that was sheer madness and gave up.

Looks like I won't be seeing it.... :(
TT
Blytonboy

1957 Five on a Treasure Island

Post by Blytonboy »

Can anyone tell me if one of the actresses appearing in the film was called Marilyn Thomas? Hopefully that name should appear in the credits
Thanks in anticipation