Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC 4 - 'Enid'

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Re: Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC4

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Tony and I were lucky enough to be invited for a set visit yesterday and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the hard work and attention to detail that goes into each and every scene as it is rehearsed and then filmed from several different angles. Helena Bonham Carter, petite and svelte, looked wonderful in the 1940s costumes and she captured perfectly Enid Blyton's energy and vivacity. And Denis Lawson was so much like I'd always imagined Kenneth to be that it was almost uncanny.
Hey, Anita wasn't it fantastic

I went for the day last Tuesday and was astounded by the mansion apart from anything else. I didn't even know there was a National Park estate that close to London - no wonder filming can be done with so much secrecy! I agree with you, Helena Bonham-Carter looked perfect as Enid. She walked round the corner as we were relaxing with a coffee just after we arrived on the terrace - Looked exactly like some of the well-known Blyton photos.
I particularly liked the recreation of the drawing room and study. Imogen visited last week and was very moved by the ambience of the interiors - just right evidently.

It was also great to see all the books in the context of the sets - just hope they got all the right period books in the right shots in the end :!: :!:
Can't wait to see the finished production

cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You probably know, Timmy, that the whole 300 acre site where the production offices are was owned by the MOD until three years ago, when the army moved out. I gather that the Mansion was actually the officer's mess, but it is now in constant use for various period films - I agree a magnificent house.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I also got one or two signatures on my copy of the script, Julie. Helena Bonham Carter also did her version of the Enid Blyton signature for me!
That has got to be the icing on the cake, Tony. I'd almost feel that Enid had written it herself, to see Helena Bonham Carter, dressed as Enid. What a day that must have been :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Timmy-the-dog wrote:Hey, Anita wasn't it fantastic
Yes, it really was an experience. A day to remember. The mansion is beautiful - a mellow brick and stone building with big windows, tall chimneys and large rooms with wood panelling and decorative plasterwork, slightly shabbily grand. As we walked in we were greeted by the sweet scent of old wood. Very atmospheric.
Timmy-the-dog wrote:It was also great to see all the books in the context of the sets - just hope they got all the right period books in the right shots in the end :!: :!:
I haven't seen the whole script but I know that liberties have been taken with the timing of some events etc, for dramatic effect. It's a drama, not a documentary, so that's only to be expected, but it'll be interesting to see how well we think the tweaks and changes work when we view the finished product.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Sounds great!

Have you got some photos for the journal?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

We were unable to take photos of the cast or sets, I'm afraid, as they have their own stills photographer.

It was interesting to learn a little about the technical side of things. I didn't notice until Tony pointed it out to me that, in some scenes, coloured markers are used on the ground to indicate exactly where actors are to stand. I suppose that ensures that backgrounds etc. look the same when the scene is filmed several times over from different angles.

I was also impressed by the lamps that were used to create the impression of bright sunlight when in reality the weather was dull. Some of the garden scenes we saw at the beginning of the day were actually filmed in the rain.

Claire from Carnival explained the roles of members of the crew. I had seen the word "gaffer" in the credits at the end of many a film - now I know that s/he is responsible for the lighting.

Anita

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

How wonderful Tony and Anita! Sounds like you had a fantastic day.

I remember seeing Helena, as a young woman, in A Room With A View, she was brilliant in that and very beautiful.

Where is the mansion?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Belly wrote:I remember seeing Helena, as a young woman, in A Room With A View, she was brilliant in that and very beautiful.
Yes, Helena has an exquisite and very distinctive face. I love the Merchant Ivory E. M. Forster films. Howard's End is another good one.
Belly wrote:Where is the mansion?
The mansion is in Surrey. Apparently, it was used as a children's home for a while in the 1930s.

Anita

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks, Anita :D .

Also much is made of Enid's distinctive 'high, clear' voice, Helena has a very distinctive voice also. One of the things I recall about Room With A View is Lucy Honeychurch's voice.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Golly, what an opportunity! Something that not many people will ever get! You're both such lucky people. :D

It sounds like a really exciting day and one that will be remembered for a long time. Tony, can you provide scans of Helena Bonham Carter's version of Enid's signature? Should be very fascinating.

One request before I'm too late in stating it - someone please record the whole thing and put it up on YouTube or somewhere for those who don't have access to BBC4!!

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Sounds great, Tony and Anita! I don't have BBC4, so I will second Ming's request that when the program is finished someone please record it. Previously I hadn't even heard of BBC4!! :roll:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Let's hope there might be an official DVD release.

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It should be available on BBC iPlayer, but i'm not sure if you can access that from abroad, as it is funded by licence payers' money.
Society Member
black labrador
Favourite book/series: Advenure and Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Lucy-Ann, Elizabeth Allen

Post by black labrador »

This sounds great. Does anyone know when this will be broadcast?
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Thirding that request of Ming's! Non-UK people don't have access to BBC iPlayer, which I think is appalling given British people don't actually have to have a TV licence to use iPlayer. I know this for a fact, as I know people over there who don't have a TV and watch their favourite programs on iPlayer, and checked out the licence issue. So there's no reason why the BBC shouldn't open this up to the rest of us.

I'm an expat, Mr Brown, and I can still vote. :lol: