Which Famous Five TV Series?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

Which f5 series?

70's series
68%
90's series
32%

Total votes: 57

Moonraker

Re: Which Famous Five TV Series?

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I'll buy if off you Nigel, if you're going to part with it? 8)
Sold to the lady in red! :D
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I'll buy if off you Nigel, if you're going to part with it? 8)
Sold to the lady in red! :D
:lol: I wasn't wearing Red!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Anne's Father
Favourite book/series: Famous Five - Five Run Away Together
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Anne's Father »

This is a most interesting question because on sheer production value and and atmosphere the 90s series is by far superior. However, I had never heard of the Famous Five before 1978 and the show became the most awesome program to a curly haired nine year old boy. I was amazed to learn books had been written to go with the show. (a 9 year old perspective) I loved the books even though the writer had got it wrong because Timmy was a Border Collie not a mongrel a rather silly mistake i thought since the author could see photos of Timmy on the cover!! lol. I digress... Being also hoplessly in love with Anne (Jennifer Thanish - who i'd love to know what she looks like now) my life revolved around the Famous Five show. Sadly I grew older and Anne never did so my childhood plans to marry her never came to pass.

Of course I became addicted to Blyton books and went on to read Secret Seven, Mystery, Adventurous Four, Malory Towers...

So the 70's show has that special place in my heart and that theme song still gives me a buzz!! We are the Famous Five... I still have the single they released in the attic back in my folks place in UK. (now live in USA where very few folk have heard of The FF...). However I have the complete Jan Francis readings to entertain as i go about my life :)

David
and that comes with new laid eggs and lashings of ginger beer

"You may look like a boy and behave like a boy, but you’re a girl all the same. And like it or not, girls have got to be taken care of" - Julian - Five on a Hike Together
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

UncleQuentin wrote:This is a most interesting question because on sheer production value and and atmosphere the 90s series is by far superior. However, I had never heard of the Famous Five before 1978 and the show became the most awesome program to a curly haired nine year old boy. I was amazed to learn books had been written to go with the show. (a 9 year old perspective) I loved the books even though the writer had got it wrong because Timmy was a Border Collie not a mongrel a rather silly mistake i thought since the author could see photos of Timmy on the cover!! lol. I digress... Being also hoplessly in love with Anne (Jennifer Thanish - who i'd love to know what she looks like now) my life revolved around the Famous Five show. Sadly I grew older and Anne never did so my childhood plans to marry her never came to pass.

Of course I became addicted to Blyton books and went on to read Secret Seven, Mystery, Adventurous Four, Malory Towers...

So the 70's show has that special place in my heart and that theme song still gives me a buzz!! We are the Famous Five... I still have the single they released in the attic back in my folks place in UK. (now live in USA where very few folk have heard of The FF...). However I have the complete Jan Francis readings to entertain as i go about my life :)

David
Hi David,

I believe there is some footage on youtube of Jennifer at a famous five reunion just a couple of years back.

Nick
Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I believe there is some footage on youtube of Jennifer at a famous five reunion just a couple of years back.
You are perfectly right :D :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8NWAGPehg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in case the link doesn't work: enter Famous Five revisited in the search box.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The link works fine Dick. Thanks, I'd seen it before but didn't know where to find it again. Its a pity that Jennifer seems to have very little interest in the series now. She hasn't watched it since it was first broadcast and her children know nothing about it. I wonder if the new DVD edition will encourage her to look back at it a bit more.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I may be wrong at that, but I remember Marcus Harris aka Julian Kirrin saying something on the Eb Day about not having watched the series too often, too. So it might be that some actors don't want to see their younger self smiling back at them from the screem. Btw, it has been a while since I last flicked through the photo album with pics from my childhood days... . :)

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS: Glad the link worked.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I've got the 1990s series on DVD (minus Smugglers Top) and have been impressed. George is an
excellent portrayal and Ann and Dick are both sympathetically done. The Julian character is
much more pompous than the books. I am awaiting the DVDs of the 1970's series so am unable
to judge them but having seen Marcus and Gary at the last E.B. Day I am really looking forward
to seeing them. Judging by the many favourable comments on the earlier series I am in for a treat!
Society Member
Anne's Father

Post by Anne's Father »

Francis wrote:I've got the 1990s series on DVD (minus Smugglers Top) and have been impressed. George is an
excellent portrayal and Ann and Dick are both sympathetically done. The Julian character is
much more pompous than the books. I am awaiting the DVDs of the 1970's series so am unable
to judge them but having seen Marcus and Gary at the last E.B. Day I am really looking forward
to seeing them. Judging by the many favourable comments on the earlier series I am in for a treat!
Why was Smuggler's Top missing? That one is in my my top 21 favourite Famous Five stories?

David
Formally UncleQuentin

"You may look like a boy and behave like a boy, but you’re a girl all the same. And like it or not, girls have got to be taken care of" - Julian - Five on a Hike Together
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anne's father - formerly Uncle Quentin? Hmm, have you bee a naughty boy? :wink:
Society Member
Anne's Father

Post by Anne's Father »

Moonraker wrote:Anne's father - formerly Uncle Quentin? Hmm, have you bee a naughty boy? :wink:
legal adoption!! ;) I sent Julian and Dick to the workhouse!

Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Anne's Father wrote:
Francis wrote:I've got the 1990s series on DVD (minus Smugglers Top) and have been impressed. George is an
Why was Smuggler's Top missing? That one is in my my top 21 favourite Famous Five stories?

David
Formally UncleQuentin
I don't know! It is very frustrating especially, as you say, it was one of the best of the F.F. stories. At least the 1970's series on DVD should have their version of the book.

Francis
Society Member
Anne's Father

Post by Anne's Father »

Francis wrote:
Anne's Father wrote:

David
Formally UncleQuentin
I don't know! It is very frustrating especially, as you say, it was one of the best of the F.F. stories. At least the 1970's series on DVD should have their version of the book.
That is just plain wrong... It is one of the best stories and it is a 2 parter I recall.

Tilda
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Malory Towers, Adventure

Post by Tilda »

I find it very difficult to answer, as both of these adaptations were so different.

The theme tune to the 1978 version is catchy and exciting, and it immediately gets you in the mood for Famous Five- especially alongside the brilliant film clips (at the start when the film pauses with their names). This version created a modernised Famous Five- for the 70s- and still kept the characters, plots etc, and welcoming mood.

The 1990s version was truer to the books, with better production and drama. The theme tune was still exciting, and more like readers might have imagined, but less personal perhaps. As others have said, I found Anne quite irritating, and George exactly as I imagined, but the 1970s George added some extra personality too.

Both adaptations did their jobs really well, but their jobs were slightly different, I think.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tilda wrote: but the 1970s George added some extra personality too.
Nah! No-one, but no-one could ever top Jemima Rooper as George! :D
Society Member