Which Famous Five TV Series?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

Which f5 series?

70's series
68%
90's series
32%

Total votes: 57

Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Which famous five tv series?

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:I've got the 70s series, but I'd love to own the 90s one too! I'm heading over to Amazon now!
A Woman after my own heart :wink: !

*hurrys back on to topic*

As I think I've mentioned before, the 90's version of the Famous Five is the definitive version for me, just because I grew up with it. (And had a crush on Marco! My Mum still teases me about it!!! :lol: )

But I think it's also something to do with the costumes used. However, after last summer where I started watching the 70's version for comparision, I do admitt that they keep to the story better (with a few exceptions) but also make for wonderful viewing! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I loved the outfits from the 90s series too, especially the shoes!
My sister and I loved the time their outfits change completely between walking behind a large rock and coming back into view. Not sure which episode that is though but I'm sure it was on Kirrin Island.

It's a pity Smugglers Top isn't included on the DVD, thats my all-time favourite EB book (and possibly even my all time favourite book ever).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Pippa-Stef wrote:In on of the other threads about the TV series, it is mentioned that Marco Williamson, who played Julian in the 90's, did actually break his leg, so they had to write that in for three episodes!
oh, i didnt know that! :shock: it must have been pretty awful for him, he did that bit where he fell out the window(?) so well,

all the same, my vote go's to the 70's :)

Leila.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

I voted for the 70s series :)
When I saw the series for the first time I was 8 years old and I only new the German Famous Five audio cassettes by then so I couldn't really compare the TV series with the books. And I still don't do it because I loved the stories back then the way they were and I loved the actors (especially Gary...I had a crush on him, but shh... :oops: ) who did a great job (but did I envy George/Michele for having that dog! :roll: ... :lol: ) and I don't want to loose the good feeling I had about it when I was a child. The kids who played the Famous Five in the German audio plays also did the dubbing for the 70s series. And hearing the same voices again on TV made me feel comfortable (but thank God they didn't use the same dog! :roll: ). Of course it would have been nice if some of the episodes would have been closer to the books but for me the stories were exciting anyway. Four kids + a dog (!!) + an adventure = perfect combination, no matter what :D .
Marcus, Gary, Jennifer, Michele and Toddy were my Famous Five and oh, did I hate the 90s series when it came out! :lol: I was 13 at that time (= not a good time for changes) :mrgreen:
Gosh, I was so stupid! :roll: Now I like the 90s series though I haven't seen all the episodes yet 8)
But the 70s series will always be my favourite! :D
Last edited by Timmy254 on 13 Feb 2010, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Kiki's new mam wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:In on of the other threads about the TV series, it is mentioned that Marco Williamson, who played Julian in the 90's, did actually break his leg, so they had to write that in for three episodes!
oh, i didnt know that! :shock: it must have been pretty awful for him, he did that bit where he fell out the window(?) so well,
I don't know if he actually did it falling out of the tree Leila, I've never been able to find out. I expect that it probably was.
Also, interesting fact, throughout the rest of the second series in the 90's version, if you really pay attention you can see him limping along while the others stride ahead! :lol:
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: Which Famous Five TV Series?

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Poor Marco. Let's hope the producer's insurance paid up if he'd really broken his leg while filming. And more important, that he fully recovered.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Leslie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Leslie »

I voted for the series from the 70s!
I've seen the one from the 90s and it is very good but... My loyalty lies to growing up in the 70s with "Dick' being my fav! What I really wanted was to be George though! (Being a bit of a tomboy..!) I can't remember if I read the books then saw the series or what but I was totally hooked as a kid - begged my mother for the books and she bought the lot for me! I read them over and over again and though I had other books, they were my favourite. Mind you, I seen to recall the covers having the 70s actors on the front so I was perhaps persuaded by the television series!
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Mind you, I seen to recall the covers having the 70s actors on the front so I was perhaps persuaded by the television series!
There are paperback editions around with stills from the series for covers, so your memory is working OK. :) My only complaint about them is that they are a bit hard to come by where I live, but maybe something can be done about that on a certain day that's coming fast.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

@Timmy: Couldn't have written that better. I couldn't stand the 96s version at first, too. OK, I didn't have a crush on one of the actors (well, maybe on Jennifer Thanisch a bit :oops: ). Toddy was a wonderful Timmy, way better than that animated hearthrug they used later, a nice dog really but not a Timmy. I spent more than one email discussing the two-legged cast of both of the series and without saying that the 96s cast isn't nice the 78s one is superior.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:There are paperback editions around with stills from the series for covers, so your memory is working OK. :) My only complaint about them is that they are a bit hard to come by where I live, but maybe something can be done about that on a certain day that's coming fast.
A few copies of those paperbacks are available on Ebay. :)
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks, Timmy. I haven't looked for some days now, maybe they just slipped my attention. :shock:
Good dog to sniff them out. :D
I'd offer you a biscuit if I could, but they do not fit into my USB slots, sorry. :wink:

Last time I had a look, the person selling them wouldn't post to anywhere outside the UK... :(

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Dick Kirrin wrote: I'd offer you a biscuit if I could, but they do not fit into my USB slots, sorry. :wink:
A fine excuse, Mr Kirrin!
Well, there is still the Enid Blyton Day. I'm looking forward to getting my biscuit from you when we meet there! :P
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have a copy of Five Go To Smuggler's Top featuring the cast of the 90s series on the back, and the wonderful Jemima Rooper on the front cover. It will be in my small box of books which I will bring to Twyford in the hopes of raising a few pennies! :D
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:I have a copy of Five Go To Smuggler's Top featuring the cast of the 90s series on the back, and the wonderful Jemima Rooper on the front cover. It will be in my small box of books which I will bring to Twyford in the hopes of raising a few pennies! :D

Yes, well that was to be expected of you Nigel! :lol:

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I have a copy of Five Go To Smuggler's Top featuring the cast of the 90s series on the back, and the wonderful Jemima Rooper on the front cover. It will be in my small box of books which I will bring to Twyford in the hopes of raising a few pennies! :D

Well, after you re-whetting my appetite, Pippa-S, I'm not sure if I can part with it now!

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:

Well, after you re-whetting my appetite, Pippa-S, I'm not sure if I can part with it now!

:lol: I'll buy if off you Nigel, if you're going to part with it? 8)