Happy Birthday 1978 Famous Five Series Discussion

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Happy Birthday 1978 Famous Five Series Discussion

Post by Lucky Star »

Well well. Is it really 30 years since I and half the nations children gathered eagerly around their TV sets to watch episode one of the brand new Famous Five series? We had read all the books numerous times and waited breathlessly to see if the TV company had done these timeless stories justice.

And then it began. To the strains of one of the catchiest theme tunes ever written for a TV series we watched agog as George skidded down a dirt trail on a bike, Julian swung across a stream on a rope, Anne cantered laughing across a field on horseback and poor old Dick fell flat on his back into a lake.

It was a time when the faces of the four actors and dog were to be found smiling out at us from book covers, magazine articles, lunch boxes and goodness knows what other memorabilia. One could send away for cards bearing facsimile autographs, buy posters of the Five and read interviews with the stars. That catchy song would soon be released on a record to buy and listen to over and over.

Little did we suspect on that sunny afternoon that, 30 years later, in a world unimaginable to our young minds we would still be familiar with that opening sequence, that there would be unheard of things called "websites" dedicated to the series or that typing "Famous Five '78 TV series" into something called Google would throw up an astounding 1,820,000 results of varying relevance. Nor did we dream that people would be making pilgrimages to the locations where filming had taken place and posting photoes and remembrances on that strange phenomenon called "The Internet".

Nevertheless here we are in 2008 and, given the reluctance or inability or both of the powers that be to give us a proper DVD release of the series to mark the occassion, it is left to us, the fans, to celebrate the milestone in our own inimitable way.... with a jolly good Blytonian discussion.

So, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our beloved 1978 Famous Five Tv series and without further ado lets proceed to the main event. Log on to youtube, switch on your video/DVD player and lets watch.....Five Go To Smugglers Top.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Happy Birthday 1978 Famous Five Series Discussion

Post by Moonraker »

Here are my thoughts on the 78 series Five go to Smuggler's Top.

We skip the fascinating account of the storm at Kirrin. I found going straight to the Lenoir's at Smuggler's Top to be most disconcerting. I loved the account of the night of the storm – the creaking of the mighty ash and the splintering of the roof as it fell.

Anyway, back to Castaway. Len Nwah or Lyn Nwah, as he seemed to be known as, was at the table with his family. I was amazed to see that he had dark hair! Everyone knows he had fair hair – for as Sooty says, “It is said that a fair-haired Lenoir is no good!” Lenoir wasn't anywhere near as bad-tempered as he should have been. Where were the temper tantrums where the tip of his nose turned white? I felt that Mrs Lenoir was also poorly cast. She was supposed to be a shy, mousey type. Sooty and Marybelle seemed well cast, though it annoyed me that Lenoir called him Sooty instead of Pierre.

Castaway itself was a huge disappointment. I have always pictured it as a mysterious hilly mount, surrounded by marsh and covered in mist – much like St Michael's Mount in Cornwall at low tide. Here we had Burley in the New Forest, complete with gift shop in the background! Smuggler's Top itself was another disappointment; it looked more like a National Trust house than a creepy mediaeval mansion. Was it Exbury House?

Another annoyance is finding out that Block isn't deaf near the beginning. He meets Barling and has a conversation with him. I know most of us guessed that Block wasn't deaf – but we weren't certain until he was unmasked right at the end of the book. Why do television adaptations always have to give the game away?

I found the incidental music to be most annoying. It seemed more suited to a Laurel and Hardy comedy than a mystery story. Every scene seemed to end with a drum roll or a stupid few notes of music. Unnecessary and irritating.

I liked the kidnapping scene in Quentin's bedroom. However, most of the suspense and danger seemed missing in the catacombs scene. Much of this was due to Barling being played as a buffoon. He lacked the chilling sinister danger that the character should have oozed. Yes, he was mad, but also dangerous.

To me, this was a poor adaptation of a great book – in my mind the best of the Five's adventures. Much of this is due to the updating of the period. It needs to be set in the 40s, not the late 70s. This goes for the whole series. I hate updated stories, I don't see the need to do this. They were written in the 40s, 50s, and 60s; and this should be respected. Many of the great scenes from the book were cut. I have already mentioned the Storm at Kirrin. I missed Block signalling and being tied up on the landing, Lenoir coming into the children's room at lunchtime and hearing Timmy bark, Timmy getting caught in the marsh and being rescued by the lorry's planks.

Finally, who on earth decided that Timmy should eat sandwiches off the plate? He would never have done this in a million years.

I'll give it 4 out of 10.

I will watch the 90s version later today, my comments will appear later.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Nice intro, Lucky Star. :wink: Here's my report.

Having been up and about since 4 am, I was feeling too bored to do anything but look in the fridge for food. Found a few bars of chocolate, poured myself some 7Up, and thus, suitably loaded, started watching Five Go To Smuggler's Top. Let's look at the 70s version first.

I found the casting very good. Julian looked very responsible, and he had a "firm jaw", I thought. He seemed the right age and was splendid. Dick was just as I imagined him - dark haired, cheeky looking ( :wink: ) and he looked like he was always up to mischief. Anne was pretty and dainty and all that I imagined her to be, only I didn't really expect her to be in jeans. George was, well, bit of a let-down. She looked very like a girl to me, not a girl pretending to be a boy. Perhaps because her lips were reddish, but her acting was very good. I liked that bossy attitude of hers. Block here looked more convincingly deaf than in the 90s version, and although he wasn't as spooky as the 90s one, he was decidedly more "real". It annoyed me, though, that the game was given away at the very beginning. I found Sooty to be a good actor, but I was expecting a darker person. Mary-Belle was a bit like Anne.

Uncle Quentin I found perfect. No flaws with him! Mr Lenoir, on the other hand, wasn't really as fierce as he should have been. Mrs Lenoir was disappointing too; she should have been a timid, kindly looking young woman, while here she looked a stern, very "proper" lady indeed. Mr Barling didn't look to me as if he "belonged to the old times", as Anne says. I remember watching this in Nigel's house last year, and falling asleep halfway through! We had watched the 90s version of Five Go Down To The Sea first, and after that it was a bit boring.

The marshes were definitely more "smuggler-like" than in the 90s one, at least to me. There was the perfect atmosphere of spook and gave me the creeps. The fog was set wonderfully, I felt. I could almost feel the cold wet fingers on my back as I watched it. Smuggler's Top itself wasn't all that haunting, but the area was good. I enjoyed the bit where the children all jump on Block and pummel him through the curtain! I was sad that that scene was not included in the 90s version. I'd give this version of Five Go To Smuggler's Top a 5/10.

Moving on the 90s version, well, let's just say that it is immediately much more interesting because the quality of the picture is better, but that can't be helped. Here I couldn't help feeling annoyed by a few points - calling Sooty, Pete, for one thing, and the entire removal of Mary-Belle. Not that she added anything to the story, but still! I was also hoping to see the Block-behind-the-curtain scene. The storm scene was also great.

I found Julian too old and Dick too young. George, Anne, and "Pete" looked the right age. It was a very amusing to see Pete talk so formally with the Kirrins - he doesn't seem very formal to me! Uncle Quentin was.. well, too much of a scientist. A bit like Albert Einstein with his hair, and Albert Einstein being locked down in underground tunnels seems very unlikely and quite hilarious, in fact! That's what it seemed like with Uncle Quentin. Both Mrs Kirrin and Mrs Lenoir were good, but Block gave me the creeps. He didn't look deaf to me, but he was much scarier than the 70s Block. Dick described him perfectly - "a mummy without the bandages". Mr Barling reminded me of Simon Graham from The Last Samurai. They looked similarly and they behaved similarly too, only that Simon wasn't a criminal. :wink:

Mr Lenoir was the star of the show. He looked just like a criminal from Tintin - I can't remember the name, though. Those glasses, and that moustache made him look incredibly fierce and strict. Even better than Jemima Rooper. :P :wink:

The atmosphere of Smuggler's Top wasn't all that spooky, as the marshes in the beginning of the first episode. I was disappointed that the scene were the Kirrins and "pete" are lost in the foggy marshes, was changed to the marshes in daylight. That was the biggest disappointment of all, something that the 70s version did splendidly. At least, the annoying background music and sudden squeaks were not there. An 8.5/10 from me.

Boy, that was a long post. :roll: :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The 90s Version

Rather a nice touch to this version was the flashback to olden times, showing smugglers from the past. This linked in perfectly to Barling's smuggling operation of today.

Anyway, this version starts where it should - namely the night of the storm. The wind was howling and the mighty ash fell. This was quite faithful to the book, apart from Fanny turning into a Frances.

I enjoyed the row between George and Quentin over Timmy. They both lost their tempers and really looked so alike.

We were also treated to a scene with good old Alf, the fisher-boy! That was a nice touch.

On to Castaway then. After picking up Tim along the way, we had the customary stop at the side of the marshes, then Smuggler's Top itself. This location was far superior to the 70s one. Castaway was a much more sinister village. Smuggler's Top itself was also far more in keeping. I loved the stone archways inside. It really grated to hear Sooty called Pete. Is it really so politically incorrect to refer to Pierre as Sooty? Surely soot is black, there can't be any racist undertone here for goodness sake. Unlike the 70s adaptation, there was no Len Nwah in this story. The name was pronounced correctly, le noir. One big disappointment to me was the exclusion of Marybelle. No mention was made of her, so in this film, she didn't exist. Mr Lenoir was much better cast as well, although annoyingly he still had dark hair! He was far fiercer and menacing this time around. I still wasn't happy with Mrs Lenoir - she was again not mousey enough - far too dominant a personality. Block was a great improvement. He had the menacing and dangerous tone to his personality. The plot wasn't spoiled by revealing that he could hear, either. Where was the white linen coat though?

I thought the secret passages and tunnels were far more realistic than the earlier series portrayed, although I thought that twisting the thing that looked like a chamber pot to access the secret passage was a tad ridiculous. Why was it in the hallway and not in Lenoir's study?

The scenes with Block returning from the tower and later hiding behind the curtains were included and acted out really well. I loved the imprint of Timmy's teeth on Block's leg! The mealtime visit by Lenoir was also included, but was slightly altered in style. I also loved the Austin (12?) taxi that brought Quentin to the house.

Both series handled the kidnapping of Quentin and Sooty (Pete) well, although the scenes in the catacombs were better produced. Both series seemed to hurry over this though. It all seemed very rushed at the end, with a ridiculous scene of Barling legging it over the dunes, only to fall in the marsh with Timmy. Far too camp to be taken seriously.

Jemima Rooper was an excellent George, she also resembled Quentin too, which was good. Paul Child and Laura Petela played Dick and Anne well, but Marco Williamson rather overplayed his role of Julian, it came over more in keeping with a Comic Strip portrayal.

The children of the 70s version were also well cast. Both series seemed to get this right.

The musical background was far superior to the Southern TV adaptation. There were none of the irritating musical interludes at the end of scenes.

All in all, I rated the 90s version far above the 70s one. It came over much more of a serious children's drama to me. Of course, being set in period gave it a massive boost. There seemed to be a larger budget, too; this really seemed to let the Southern version down - it appeared to me to be almost filmed as a home movie.

The 90s version wins hands down, in my opinion, and I give it 9 out of 10.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Firstly, super intro LS. What a lovely lead in to the discussion.
I've seen the 78 version of this many times, as my daughter viewed all the 78 series constantly in the 80's, and so you could say this is the series that I'm used to, and accept Julian, Dick, Anne and George,as they appeared. I can understand many of the forumites bonding with this series, as many grew up watching the Famous Five coming to life, so to speak, and one does tend to bond with something that was part of your childhood.
The cast of the five is superb. Timmy is not quite like the books, but I got used to seeing him cast as this collie anyway. The only downside to this episode and many of them, is that they don't follow the books as such. I won't go into the story too much as its been covered quite well from Moonraker and Ming, and I fully understand Moonrakers view point of this episode. I enjoyed watching it though I as I enjoy watching all the other episodes. Dick's facial expressions are superb, especially when he looks towards Mr Lenoir when Timmy enters the room at the end. Lovely.
I also watched the 90's episode, as this series is new to me, never ever having watched any of them before. At first I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it, but found it quite exciting. This series obviously have stuck to the original books, and I loved the fact that they were of that era also. It was good to see Block hiding behind the curtain and Timmy biting his leg. They even put in what Sooty says to his father regarding this, about his teeth feeling strange. A bit of a disappointment that they didn't call Pierre Sooty, and no Marybelle, was really odd. But a good episode anyway. I especially liked Mr Barling at the end saving Timmy from the marshes, saying he had no grievance with the dog. Nice man afterall!!
So in my opinion I have to say that the 90's episode scored quite high, 8 out of 10 and the 78 series, which I do have a great fondness for, 7 out of 10.
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Well, I started watching it today, got as far as Timmy pulling the wrapper from the bin and woke up to see Tiger Dan in the caravan shafts...

From what I did see though, I'll comment on the bits that I really enjoyed that I don't think have been touched on - then tomorrow or Saturday I'll watch it all again and do a proper report.

For me, the essence of Smugglers Top was the passages, the secret tunnels that go for miles - I really think they did this well and loved the entrance in Lenoir's study - I always wanted a fireplace like that! The window seats and the trap door I found great and true to the books.

I found Block quite spooky - I loved the turning of the door handle after the five had left the study... Very underhand and sneaky behaviour. Learning of his non deafness early didn't spoil it for me as I grew up on these films before the books, though I can see how it might for some.

The only other point I'd make reading others' posts, I found Lenoir to be cast well - his temper looked to be well reined in - as if to say if he didn't know Quentin they'd have been getting the slipper or something, but he's in an awkward position.

I woke briefly for the tower scene, which is one of my fave bits from the audio dramatisation, but will watch it better before commenting further...

Alas it's time for me to leave for work, so I'll bid you goodnight and wish the series a very happy birthday...

Courtesy of Karli
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

At the time that the Famous Five was first broadcast, I was 12 years old and looking forward to the Summer holidays, having somehow survived my first full academic year at secondary school. The series came at an opportune time, it somehow lifted my spirits in a way that Grange Hill did not. Now, there are many on this Forum who consider the 1990's series to be the more accurate of the two. This is indeed true as regards period detail, but even the HTV series had needless departures from the original books, and I would be the first one to say that many of the 70's series scripts sometimes bore as much relation to the book as the Claude Voilier novels.

However, there were running times to be adhered to and budgets to be maintained, compromises had to be made. Thirty years is a very long time ago and I have forgotten much, or I think I have until a catalyst comes along just once in a while. The enduring appeal of the 1970's series of the Famous Five is that the producers had put together a very likeable cast in the shape of Gary, Marcus, Jennifer and Michele.

Like Julie2owlsdene I will not go into great detail over Smuggler's Top, Ming and Moonraker have already been there and done a better thesis on the subject than I ever could! I prefer to mention just a few scenes that come to mind. The book of course, deals at great length with the storm and the much neglected tree falling onto Kirrin Cottage. This is dealt with in just a few words by Sooty at the breakfast table followed by a quick cut to one of the trusty fleet of Fords ferrying the Five to their temporary abode.

Michele Gallagher's fondness for Toddy the Dog is much in evidence during these scenes and for his part Toddy seemed to possess a wonderful temperament. The things that the poor collie had to endure such as the makeshift hoist during the trapdoor scene. In the book, Enid Blyton had Timmy safely contained inside a laundry basket attached to a rope. Much worse was to come for this poor animal in Mr Lenoirs drawing room. Just how many sandwiches did Toddy have to consume, bearing in mind that most scenes are done in several takes? :wink: Then there are one or two moments where it looks as as if the cast are attempting to suppress their mirth, I gather that giggles were a big problem during the filming.

The presence of Ronald Fraser as Mr Barling was a very big bonus, just the right degree of eccentricity was portrayed. Fraser was of the course the sort of actor who was never out of work, popping up all over the place during a very long film and TV career. Likewise, Ron Pember as Block was very memorable. Various inconsistencies abound throughout the episode such as Sooty's family addressing him as Sooty! Surely a prep school nickname would only be used by his schoolfriends and close associates? Perhaps it was a means to avoid confusing a younger audience.

Overall, Five Go To Smuggler's Top does capture the spirit of the original book and it does at least benefit from a longer running time. One shudders to think how it could be compressed into the usual 22 minutes. An enjoyable episode but certainly not my favourite, that accolade is reserved for Five Go Off In A Caravan.

The HTV verison of Five Go To Smuggler's Top does follow the book far more closely but still strays away at times. Pierre is now Pete and his nickname Sooty is nowhere to be heard, a mirror to the situation in the 70's version where he is Sooty to all and sundry! At least the plot device of the falling tree almost destroying Kirrin Cottage is shown in full. Castaway Hill is very much as described, the difference between the Southern TV and HTV budgets is clear to see. No expense had been spared for period clothing, vehicles and locations.

Much has been made of Marco Williamson's portrayal of Julian as very over acted. This may be true of the first series, Marco semed to lack stature for the role of a character who was somewhat old for his age. This was however remedied by the second series, a year is a very long time where child actors are concerned and from henceforth Julian was very much as portrayed by Blyton/Soper. I cannot really fault any of the cast of the 1990's series, as with the Southern TV version the producers assembled a cast who worked very well together.

Two episodes of the same story but very different indeed from one another despite having similar running times. On balance, I favour the Southern TV version as probably anyone else who was a child during the 1970's. I must say that I never imagined 30 years ago that I would be discussing this via a world wide web of interlinked home computers, what will the next 30 years bring?
Last edited by Petermax on 04 Jul 2008, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Excellent comments everyone. Many thanks for joining in so well. I'm just going to post a few brief comments now as I'm unfortunately very busy in work till saturday :roll: .

Both storylines deviated from the original book to some extent. Others have already mentioned the Sooty/Pete thing, that was annoying especially in the 90's series, they could at least have called him Pierre!

Castwise I thought that Marcus and Gary made a much better Julian and Dick. Jennifer Thanisch was also just slightly better as Anne though she had a run for her money. Both Michele Gallagher and Jemima Roper played George excellently, nothing to choose between them I thought. Timmy was definitely better served by Toddy in 1978. The 90's series Timmy was pathetic, would'nt have frightened a child. :?

I found Block and Barling better played in the 90's series, far more sinister than 78. Lenoir and Uncle Quentin however fared better in 78. The later Quentin was too much a mad professor type and Lenoir really reminded me of Herr Flick from 'allo 'allo. I kept expecting him to break out in that fake german accent at any moment.

The bigger budget for the 90's programme showed in the better choice of location for Castaway and Smugglers Top itself. The misty, dangerous atmosphere was better portrayed in the earlier series though, the sun was shining at one point in the 90's show when they were supposed to have been stumbling through a pea souper according to Blyton.

The biggest difference between the two was the period setting of the 90's series versus the 70's setting of the first series. In that respect the 90's show probably scores higher for realism but overall I still prefer the 1978 series for the cast, the theme song and all its memories. If I could choose to have worked on one of the shows its definitely the 78 series I'd have chosen.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I remember that this series broadcast in New Zealand in the early 1980s, and I have fond memories of watching it on weekday afternoons after school (it wasn't on every day, but it was on once or twice a week). My mum often watched it with me. I loved the theme song, and would say it's my favourite TV theme of all time (up there with Mission Impossible, MacGyver and Knight Rider for catchiness). At school, a friend of mine and I would pretend we were the "Famous Two" and sing a variant of the song that went, "We are the Famous Two" etc.! Even at the tender age of 10, I had a bit of a crush on Jennifer Thanisch! :wink: On the whole though, I just loved all the adventures and the music (the incidental music as well as the main theme).

It was this series that introduced me to Enid Blyton properly. Until the Famous Five TV series came on NZ television, the only EB book I had was ABC with Noddy. But the TV series inspired me to seek out Famous Five books at the school library, after which I just had to have some of my own! :mrgreen:

To get a little more on the topic of this thread: I wonder if the omission of the name Sooty in the 90s series was because of possible copyright issues relating to Sooty Bear? This is completely out of left field and speculation only on my part. Political correctness (misguided, in my view) is the more likely motivation for calling him Pete. Sooty was around in the 1970s (in fact, I think he's a lot older than that), and the use of the name Sooty on the '70s version of The Famous Five didn't seem to cause any problems. But I just thought I'd throw that idea in the mix in the wildly improbable instance that it actually was a factor.

Finally - brilliant picture, George@Kirrin, and well worthy of this great series! It's also been very enjoyable reading everyone else's thoughts.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Belly

Post by Belly »

Interesting to read this!

I didn't know that the series theme tune was available as a record and didn't see much in the way of Five memorabilia at the time, much to my bitter disappointment! Not as if you could google then, sadly.

Anyone else also found they weren't able to watch all the episodes and once missed that was it! I was so annoyed that they seemed to clash with a piano lesson but my mother refused to cancel! Ah the days before the video recorder....

Wasn't it shown on a Tuesday?
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I don't think I can add anything else to what has already been said, I agree with almost everything of the above and see differences between opinions!

The only thing I think I may be able to bring to the thread would be that I watched the 90's series first as a Young child and have only just round to watching the 70's episodes, but i felt that watching them at an older age allowed me to stand back from my views that the 90's one was the "best".The 70's one is the definitve for many on the forums, but as a 90's baby, that one was obviously the definitive for me.

As to smugglers top, 70's, it did spoil it for me that we found out that Block was able to hear so early on, and that Sooty was called Sooty by one and all. Castaway was again a disappointment, but I thought it was a nice touch that Anne and Marybelle knew each other from school as well, but then in the 70's don't they all go to the same school anyway? They all seem to wear the same uniforms!

I thought it was very good, and seemed to stick to the story well. The only thing I think I might have a problem about the whole 70's series is that Uncle Quentin has an German accent! I'm sorry, but I can hear the lilt. Not that I'm critising him in the slightest, because he was a very good Uncle Quentin, it's just the German lilt.

As to the 90's version, as I have pointed out, it is my definitive version. Like Moonraker and many others I like the fact that it is "period". It was one of the ones I got on video at the time, and Block scared me so much! I was really terrifed of him.

As to Sooty becoming Pete- looking back on that, it annoys me, but then so did the 70's one of them all calling Sooty, Sooty. The lack of Marybelle was a little puzzling, maybe they were afraid of casting a Marybelle and her outshading Laura Petela's gentle acting.

I find the whole Julian attitude to his host in this one, very out of character, and quite frankly it is not one of Marco's best episodes nor Julian's best book. But I'm sorry to say, I much preferred Marco's Julian, in this episode to Marcus's.

Just a quick word on Dick and I'll stop rambling! Promise :wink:

In my mind, Dick, both times was played almost to perfection, as were both George's. But after a long and compilcated discussion with myself, I have reached the conclusion that I much prefer Gary Russell's protrayal as Dick than Paul Child's. Paul was rather tame, and slightly over acted, but I felt that Gary was just right!

There, I'm done! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
murphy
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Dick/George/Philip

Post by murphy »

Not much to add to what has already been said.

Although I was born 2 years after the series first aired I still grew up with that image of the five having inherited my collection of five books from my older brother all with the tv covers and discovering the series on video in the mid eighties.

I cant say that everyone calling Sooty, Sooty really bothered me but hearing him called Pete in the 90's annoyed me.

I thought the casting in both was on the whole very good with the exception of Mrs Lenoir in the 90's and I really cant take that Timmy seriously. :)

I'd have to agree with Pippa-Stef that Gary Russells portrayal of Dick was best (nothing to do with my childhood crush on him :oops: :oops: )

I liked the setting for the 90's version and that it followed the book quite well but my heart still lies with the 70's. :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Interesting comments, everyone. I am fortunate in that I didn't grow up with either series (unlike The Doctor - William Hartnell for me!), so I can judge purely on artistic merit and keeping to the book - this is why the 90s series wins hands down for me.

As for the four cousins, I didn't think that Marcus was 'adult' enough - to me, he was just a nice kid. We know that adults looked up to him, and felt a sense of awe. In this respect maybe Marco was the better Julian. Gary, however, is a real Dick, (Sorry, Gary, I couldn't resist that). Jemima was also a more realistic George, in my opinion. I know I'm treading on thin ice here, but Jemima seemed more boyish somehow, and truer to the book's George. Both Anne's were really well cast, maybe Jenny just has the edge. Ming told me that Laura seemd too young, and I must agree with her. I still have a crush on Jenny, by the way! Oh to see her at a future Society Day.

In both series, I felt the dogs to be pathetic.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I’ve never seen the 70s series. When I get broadband I will have to have a look on you tube.

The 90s series was on TV here and I watched most of them. The ones that were in 2 parts were the best – the rest were too abridged. Some years since I saw them, but I remember Smuggler’s Top being one of the best, and the characters were well cast. The name change to Pete was the only real flaw, but by part 2 I was getting used to it.
Ming wrote:Mr Lenoir was the star of the show.
Of course. :)
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Happy Birthday -Famous Five 78-
Hurray...pop the bottles and enjoy watching your series.
Congratulation Marcus,Gary and Jenny & Michele plus Toddy.
You were great.You are great!Cheers!!!