Different editions of the videos of the 1978 series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
fozzy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

Different editions of the videos of the 1978 series

Post by fozzy »

I've been trying to collect all the episodes from this series (even though I've downloaded most from YouTube as well) and there seem to be a variety of different videos produced, and they have different combinations of the episodes which makes getting a complete set without getting duplicates quite hard!

There's some from ilc in 1999 (with coloured stripes on the case and actual photos). So far I've only found 4 of those which cover 3 episodes each:
Kirrin Island 1+2, Billycock Hill
Mystery Moor, Smugglers top 1+2
Secret Trail, Camp 1+2
Hike, Adventuring again, Caravan
These ones show the 2 parters are 2 distinct episodes - i.e. as originally broadcast.

Then there's a run from Portman Productions called the Famous Five Collection (white cases with illustrations on the front) of which I currently have:
Vol 1: Trouble 1+2, Demons Rocks 1+2
Vol 3: Mystery moor, Fall into Adventure 1+2
These seem to be produced in 1992 by Pickwick Video. Here the 2 parters are combined into one long episode.

And yet another run just called Famous Five again with photos on the front of which I have:
Run away together, Wonderful time, Fix
Together again 1+2
These seem to date from 1983 and again the 2 parter is combined.

Does anyone have a definitive list of all the videos that have been produced? Did any of these runs actually cover all 26 episodes? Right now I have 23 (missing Finniston Farm and Go down to the Sea 1+2) but have Mystery Moor twice. I know Go down to the Sea is available as I've seen it on Ebay at times - but I've never seen Finniston Farm on video (although it must exist since someone has uploaded it to YouTube!)

Thanks! (Of course as soon as I complete the set they will then release the whole lot on DVD I'm sure!)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Different editions of the videos of the 1978 series

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I wish they would release these on DVD. I have only half of the series, in various cases, which I bought back in the 80's for my daughter who used to watch then time and time again. So I'm not fully updated with the various publications.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

fozzy wrote:I've never seen Finniston Farm on video (although it must exist since someone has uploaded it to YouTube!)
I've got Finniston Farm on video. It has a photo cover with a yellow background. On the front it says, "Longman Video" and on the back it says, "Portman Productions Ltd. 1988." It contains four stories - Finniston Farm, Secret Trail, Billycock Hill and Hike Together.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

I've got the same four episodes on one tape as Anita has, but mine is a Pickwick video copyright 1992. Woolworths were selling them cheap at about that time - the price label says £8.99, but I'm sure it cost less than that. The price label says Pickwick as well, so perhaps it was Woolworths' own brand; but then again, it does say "available from all good video outlets".

Incidentally, this tape is Volume 6. The contents of each are shown inside the label, as follows:

Vol. 1 - Into Trouble, Demons Rocks - over 90 minutes
Vol. 2 - Down to the Sea, Together Again - over 80 minutes
Vol. 3 - Mystery Moor, Into Adventure - over 70 minutes
Vol. 4 - Smugglers Top, Caravan - over 70 minutes
Vol. 5 - Run Away Together, Wonderful Time, Into a Fix - over 75 minutes
Vol. 6 - Secret Trail, Billycock Hill, Finniston Farm, Hike - over 100 minutes.

It doesn't say how many episodes, just the running time.

I could scan the covers and email them to you if it would be helpful.
DSR
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The set that DSR is talking about on Pickwick was not particularly a Woolworth's brand as I bought mine in Smith's. Unfortunately the six only had 15 of the episodes on them, missing were Five on Kirrin Island, Five Go Adventuring Again and Five Go Off to Camp. I have got these three on other videos, so I can confirm that all 18 stories were released on video at some stage.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

fozzy wrote: (Of course as soon as I complete the set they will then release the whole lot on DVD I'm sure!)
Just about all episodes of the 1970s series can be obtained on VHS via Ebay UK, although postage to your part of the world would be expensive. There has been talk of an official DVD release of the Famous Five series, but there are many unresolved issues with copyright. We shall all have to wait just a little while longer.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Okay as I recall (and I may be wrong) this is the UK VHS history:

Series I was released by Longman (origianlly in '83). Longman were absorbed by Pickwick, who issued Series II in 85. In '88, Pickwick rereleased both series (same covers but the Longman logo on Series I replaced by Pickwick's).

Then in the 90s, possibly just before the remake came out I imagine, Pickwick (or another brand within the Pickwick group) reissed a number of them (maybe all) in bizarre 70s retro-looking (ie cheap and crappy) covers (all lava lamp bubbles and psychedelic swirls).

I'm not sure when/if they *ever* had the two-parters released *as* two-parters (ie not glued together) but if they did, it must've been the 88 reissues or the ghastly retro ones, cos I stil have my copies of the 83/85 releases and on those, the two-parters are glued together.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Hi Gary,

Yes, they did release them unglued - On the ghastly retro edition.

I happened across them a good few years ago in a pound land type shop for £1 a vid, so stocked up on a few saving my 83 editions - good enough for having on in the background when I try and sleep during the day from night shifts...
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've been searching the 'net for a DVD set of the 1978 series and have seen many comments from people wishing that it was available in that format. There is even a long drawn out description on a German web site where a search was made to find which company owned the rights.

Is anyone able to comment then, on the offer for sale of the complete 1978 series on DVD on http://www.raretv.co.uk" target="_blank or http://www.raretelevision.com" target="_blank. This seems contrary to everything I've read from a variety of sources criticising whoever is responsible for not releasing it on DVD.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone about this.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Is does seem to be available. I wonder if its a pirate copy :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I was amused to see at the bottom of the page, this:

Customers who bought Enid Blyton - Famous Five (1978) DVD also bought: Meet Ricky Gervais. :shock:
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Rob wrote:Is anyone able to comment then, on the offer for sale of the complete 1978 series on DVD on http://www.raretv.co.uk" target="_blank or http://www.raretelevision.com" target="_blank. This seems contrary to everything I've read from a variety of sources criticising whoever is responsible for not releasing it on DVD.
Any 1978 Famous Five series for sale on DVD is a bootleg and is almost certainly copied from commercially released VHS tapes. We are not going to see an official DVD release anytime soon, as it cannot be established who actually owns the video rights.

I am very surprised to see the raretv.co.uk and raretelevision.com websites back online. All I will say is that the DVDs for sale are of TV series that have never been released in this format. It is also worthwhile to notice that nowhere on the websites can one find an official business address. Would you really be willing to submit your credit card details to such an enterprise?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I bought the raretv discs. My old videos were largely unwatchable and the few that I bought from ebay were not much better. I also have limited storage space and the idea of having the series on DVD was attractive. They are pirate releases, the four discs contain all the episodes but are indeed just a straight transfer from old VHS copies so there is no improvement in sound or vision quality. However they do play just fine and come in two CD sized wallets. Just dont expect any of the usual DVD type quality or extras. An official release in remastered crystal clear quality with some extras is long overdue for this series, sadly as petermax has said it still does'nt look likely to happen anytime soon.

I cant remember how much I paid for them but it was quite reasonable. I can only say that they delivered promptly, the discs play as they are supposed to and I have never had any problems associated with the purchase.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I actually own a four disc Famous Five DVD set myself, purchased off an Ebay seller. I might consider raretv if they took Paypal. As Lucky Star mentions, VHS tapes do not last forever, and once the oxide falls off, then that's it. Bootlegs certainly have their place, but only as a last resort.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks to those Members who responded to my post a few days ago about raretv.co.uk. From what I've seen, a new release on DVD seems as far away as ever, so I might just take the risk and proceed to order something that at least is available now, albeit in a less than desirable form.