TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Hmmm...German fans, you say? Do you suppose it could've been those from the German F5 fan site, perhaps? :D

The boat trip is short, but lovely. The Castle is fab, with great views from the battlements, as well. Well worth a visit. However, I didn't get an hot choc like yours, though. I had to make do with tea! :cry:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Odd Spot at Burley, where Block & Mr Barton are seen talking in 'Go to Smugglers Top'. It's name was Odd Spot for Gifts in the episode. However, Years later, I was told that a Lorry crashed into the front of the shop, demolishing the original Windows/frames, leaving some of the wooden panelling above! If you look carefully when you visit, you can still make out where the old lettering was on the panelling! The two small whitish blocks situated either end of the Windows, are the original bases for the two pumps (Petrol ?) that once stood there! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Oct 2019, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Another view of Odd Spot in Burley. Bases for the pumps can clearly be seen below the Windows. Unfortunately, you can't make out the original 'Odd Spot for Gifts' lettering on the wooden panelling! :? As you can see, the date on the photo reveals it was taken quite a few years ago. However, nothing about the Odd Spot has changed, which is nice. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 18 Oct 2019, 07:47, edited 2 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The tree line at Lepe car park. This is briefly seen through the wind screen of the car as Rogers is driving the Five from Kirrin train station to Kirrin Cottage in 'Run away together'. The Children singing 'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside' in the car should come with a public health warning!!!! The Wood is not the caravan scene where George is kep't prisoner by Jo's Dad in 'Fall into adventure. This was filmed at Exbury Gardens. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 18 Oct 2019, 07:49, edited 2 times in total.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Great pics, number 6! I see that the weather was fine as well.
I remember walking that road from Exbury down to Lepe last summer, but I can tell you 2,5 miles are longer than you think.... :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great pictures, everyone! It's lovely that so many of the buildings etc. are still recognisable.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Luke! Yes, the weather was nice & sunny when these photos were taken. It always seems to be blue skies & warm/hot sunshine whenever I go to the New Forest. I can't recall having a bad day during my location visits. I must just be extremely lucky! :D (I've probably just jinxed myself now! :roll: )
The winding lanes do make the distances seem a little longer than they actually are, especially when it's an hot day, so l can relate to what you said. :D

Thanks, Anita! You must visit some of these locations in the near future. Being a fellow 1978 F5 series fan, I think you'd certainly enjoy seeing them & relating them to the series! :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Helenbee, this is another view of Gatewood House. The Tower, I think, was set up against/near the dark wooden building on the left in the photo. The main part of the house featured in the previous photo, is just behind the building in the centre, where the trees are seen. However, I think Gary will probably be able to pin-point the Towers exact position better. :D

The black building pretty much is the tower - clever photography and a glass shot added the height to give it a tower look. It's also the building that Exec Producer James Gatwood and his wife would stay in when James was actually directing an episode. Those two blue garage doors weren't there when we lived there, I think it was just either an open space or a car port. But not an actual bricks n mortar garage.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Gary! I enjoy learning pieces of information like that.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:The black building pretty much is the tower - clever photography and a glass shot added the height to give it a tower look. It's also the building that Exec Producer James Gatwood and his wife would stay in when James was actually directing an episode. Those two blue garage doors weren't there when we lived there, I think it was just either an open space or a car port. But not an actual bricks n mortar garage.
Thanks Gary! Another great snippet of info. I didn't know the Tower was a bit of trick photography. Quite good really. Should've guessed, because of the expense of building such a construction. I actually thought it was a one-sided wooden frame with some cheap panelling attached, with a bits & bobs added...then painted!
I also didn't know James Gatwood once stayed in the wooden building, either!
I'm not sure, but I think you have already told me about the garage doors before. I wonder if I ever sent you the pic via e-mail & you informed me then?
I like to hear these little bits of info. They add a bit of interest to the locations. This is why it would be great to see you at Exbury, Gary. Thanks again! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 04 Feb 2017, 21:53, edited 3 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The roof of Exbury House doubled as the Wreckers Tower in 'Go down to the sea'. The gang are seen edging their way along the parapet in the episode. I think Gary once revealed he had a fear of heights & had to grit his teeth & pretend to help Jennifer along the roof edge, whilst trying not to look down! Brave lad! :D

Still shots from the episode. What about Health and Safety, eh?! :shock:
Last edited by number 6 on 18 Oct 2019, 15:27, edited 4 times in total.
Bam

Post by Bam »

I've missed a lot since I last posted! :) Luke, thanks for a great updated inventory of locations, I look forward to going through it with the episodes, and seeing if there's anything more I can help to add to it.

In 'Camp', was the circus site in 'Caravan' not the campsite too? Or maybe it's just where Anne and Mr. Luffy had the volcano scene, and the site was at Exbury?

number 6, great photos. Was it you that said you had photos of the inside of Gatewood? Weren't some scenes from the series shot in the inside of Gatewood?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's great knowing of all these locations, and the trick photography, regarding the 'tower' supplied to us by Gary.

I wonder if the prouducers of this series realized back then, that this series would be just as popular 30+ years later. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Bam

Post by Bam »

Yes, that info about the tower was interesting. Thanks to Gary for that. I look forward to seeing that on screen, and also seeing if I can spot any other (apart from the train tunnel and island) scenes that might feature photos or painting on glass.

That, about the producers, would be interesting to know too. That they used such a variety of adult actors of the day, and put it on film rather than video tape, might have shown a bit of optimism for longevity maybe?
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hiya Bam! I'm assuming that the 'Camp & Circus' campsites are the same. It was, I think, a bit further up the plateau on Blackwell Common than the Circus camp. It would make sense to use the common, as a few other Go off to Camp scenes were filmed nearby, i.e Anne running down a grassy field to a stream to get a bucket of water (This is the stream that runs under Gatewood Bridge, several yards away!) & when the Five & Mr Luffy are in the car en-route to the camp on the 'Moor'. During the filming of this scene, the camera must've been sited on the common, because it pans from left to right, showing the car travelling from the 'curve' in the road, past the Circus/Camp site entrance (on the right) & heading along the road (Passing the Caravan site on the left in Go off in a Caravan) & over Gatewood Bridge, then disappearing along the Lepe/Exbury road... Oddly, in the wrong direction of the camp on the moor! :lol:

Yes, I've got interior photos of Gatewood House...somewhere! They've gone walkabouts, but I'm hoping I can find them ASAP! I know Exbury House was used extensively for interior shots, but I can't remember Gary ever mentioning that filming took place inside Gatewood House, but I may be wrong...which won't be the first time! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 04 Feb 2017, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.