TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by Eddie Muir »

What a brilliant set of photos, Luke. I was in Burley recently and particularly enjoyed seeing the ones of this area. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fantastic photos, Luke! :D It's brilliant to see the "then" and "now" pictures side by side. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Daisy wrote:What a brilliant set of pics - and great detective work Luke. It must have taken ages to track down the exact spots in some cases - those country lanes for instance. You must have a very good memory of the series to be able to pinpoint so many locations.
I took with me papers of pics from the episodes. Thanks to Google Streetview and a fan who told me the Castle Hill spot from the "on a hike together" episode as well as the locations that had already been known, I knew where to go. But it was still a mystery in some cases since what to expect on Castle Hill or in Exbury Gardens. To find Roydon Manor was not easy as well. Looked like an easy walk on a map, but in reality it was deep in the forest and I had to ask local people to find that wooden bridge.
Great pics, Luke! :)
I always wanted to see those wild ponies in the New Forest (Burley).
Are they tame and let you touch them?
Thanks. The ponies are wild although they are owned by someone. It is recommended not to touch or feed them. I saw ponies sleeping (while standing) on the street near Burley and all the cars had to pass around.
Fantastic photos, Luke! :D It's brilliant to see the "then" and "now" pictures side by side. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

I think every fan should see them and know where the locations are. As you can see lots of these places still look like almost 40 years ago. :wink:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Absolutely brilliant, Luke. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. It is making a visit to Exbury Gardens next May look all the more appealing! :D
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you so much for all your hard work Luke.I found looking through all the photos most enjoyable.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Brilliant photos, Luke. Thanks for all your hard work in tracking down those locations.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Wow what a great trip down memory lane. Fabulous photos. I really would like to go to Exbury Gardens, and hopefully the other location you have photographed Luke. Thanks for putting them up. Really enjoyed them. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Thank you for sharing those, a real treat :D
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Fantastic photos, Luke, & well presented too! Well done. They brought back many happy memories for me of the times I spent wandering around these locations. When you go to dancing ledge in Dorset, try to pop into Swanage if you have time. From the pier, you can sometimes get a pleasure boat trip around the coastline to view the ledge itself. As the boat heads out of Swanage bay towards Durlston head, you'll see Durlston castle perched on the cliffs. This is "Red Towers" residence in the "Five fall into adventure" & is clearly seen in the said episode. :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Amazing photos. I have zero recollection of Roydon for some reason, so that was especially interesting.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

number 6 wrote:Fantastic photos, Luke, & well presented too! Well done. They brought back many happy memories for me of the times I spent wandering around these locations. When you go to dancing ledge in Dorset, try to pop into Swanage if you have time. From the pier, you can sometimes get a pleasure boat trip around the coastline to view the ledge itself. As the boat heads out of Swanage bay towards Durlston head, you'll see Durlston castle perched on the cliffs. This is "Red Towers" residence in the "Five fall into adventure" & is clearly seen in the said episode. :D
Thanks for the tip. That will be then for next year. And I guess it will take a couple of hours to get there (from Brockenhurst).
I think about doing a cycling trip as well passing Sowley Pond and St Leonards.
But one thing I really will be doing is getting more of that tasty Burley Fudge!! :P
Amazing photos. I have zero recollection of Roydon for some reason, so that was especially interesting.
I can imagine that, It's been some time. As for Roydon Manor, I found it with the help of Google. I think I googled for images of Hampshire cottages and houses and, with some luck, stumbled upon it. And that wodden bridge is still there. Amazing...
I remembered you when I took the picture of Exbury House when you were up there on the roof in "Five go down to sea"...

Thanks for all that great feedback! :)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fascinating photos, Luke! It's a brilliant idea to post the original shots with modern day ones - very, very interesting! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

An amazing collection of photos Luke. I am beyond jealous. :lol: It must have taken a fair amount of detective work to find all of those places. Thanks for sharing them with us.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I've got a number of photos on the German fan site, which are credited to "A Wood"! I don't know where they've got that name from but, as this isn't me, I can only assume my name was lost in translation! I'll try & dig my photos out, (wherever they are) & share them with you all. :D
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I went to Exbury Gardens today, and it really is a fabulous place. The gardens are lovely and you get a map of the gardens as there are so much to see, it even has a little railway running around part of the gardens.

The internet link isn't very strong where I am at the moment, so once home I'll upload a few of the photos onto this thread. For anyone who is thinking of going, it really is well worth the money. :)

And it was nice to see Exbury House - home of Owl's Dene in the TV series. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member