Famous Five '78 series - New photos of the locations

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Yan

Famous Five '78 series - New photos of the locations

Post by Yan »

On the German fanpage (ff5.lgfb.de) you can find great new photos of the FF '78 series' locations. The German fan André Weber visited some of the places some weeks ago. And he took the pictures in the same perspective as the locations were filmed in 77/78 !

Unfortunately, I can´t give you a direct link. Enter the German version of the fanpage, scroll down to the headline "Medien" (green background), search the right word list below and click on "Die Drehorte 78". Then a new page opens. Scroll down and click on "Die Drehorte der 1978er Serie Spezial von André Weber, 2007".

I hope you'll enjoy the pictures. :D
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: Famous Five '78 series - New photos of the locations

Post by RDMorrell »

Wow, those are some awesome pictures! :D Thanks for mentioning them. A lot of the sites don't seem to have changed very much at all, although minor changes are visible in some cases. It was also good to see that most of the places seemed to have improved rather than decayed with age (although of course some of them were made to look different for the TV series). Even the ruin looked in better shape now than then! Many thanks again.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

I read it and I watched it .WOW
Thanks for prodding us.It's very exciting to compare the pics from olden times with the newer ones of this year.And I was so delighted in those travel reports as well.
Anybody here who has got a time machine?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Excellent photos! Thanks, Yan. I'm glad Curton's little cottage has been preserved so well. That's one of my favourite locations from the series.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Far out! Well done, those 'old' and 'new' pictures side by side!
If somebody can translate the text into a GPS route, It may turn out into a nice weekend-trip! :D

Here is the link (and click on the locations listed at the top):

http://home.arcor.de/lgfb/ffreunde/de_a ... r_2007.htm
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for that Wouter. I must be the only person who couldn't make head nor tail of Yan's post! Great pictures!
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Thanks Yan, those present day photos of the Famous Five locations are very good indeed. With typical German thoroughness André Weber has taken a lot of time and trouble on his photographic expeditions and subsequent highly detailed write ups.

I too am grateful to Wouter for providing the link to the new photos. Following those instructions took me on a long and winding journey through the Fünf Freunde Fanpages before eventually reaching my destination!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I can speak a little German so I was able to follow Yan's directions easily enough. And what a result, Andre weber has really taken a lot of trouble with his presentation and it is fantastic. I am really considering doing a little tour down there next year myself, his route instructions will be invaluable. Thanks for bringing these pics to our attention Yan.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Yan

Post by Yan »

Oops! I didn´t know there is a direct link. Sorry for causing confusion to some of you.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Wow, really enjoyed looking at those!

Many thanks and I may try and take my own this summer...
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lovely photo's, I was in Burley in September and recognised it instantly.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Lovely photo's, I was in Burley in September and recognised it instantly.

8)
Burley is a charming - albeit touristy - village. It is not, however, in any way, shape or form, Castaway!

I didn't mean to criticise you, Yan, by the way. Reading my post it looks as if you weren't making sense! Obviously you were, as I seemed to be the only person who couldn't even get the web address to work! Image
Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Marcus and I had a look at these last night. How utterly brilliant. And despite being aged and insane, we remembered 99% of them clearly!!
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your compliments! I am really happy that you all like my pictures and I feel really honoured that Marcus and Gary had a look at it as well. It took a lot of time to do these photos, but I really enjoyed it. It was a fantastic experience visiting the locations in the New Forest and it brought back some childhood memories – especially Kirrin Cottage. Thanks again for finding out the address in my thread “Where is Kirrin Cottage?” some months ago. Otherwise it would never have found it. Do not hesitate to contact me, if you want to visit the locations yourselves. I will gladly give you some more information via Email as my two routes on the Fanpage are in German.

Take care,
André
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

That was a great set of photographs Andre, thank you for your hard work. I'm surprised though that you gained such close access to Marchwood Station as I was led to believe that it was now a private residence. Presumably the platform is still owned by Network Rail and only the station building was sold. It appears to have changed very little since 1978, even the old platelayers huts are still there.