The New Famous Five

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: The New Famous Five

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Good point Nigel. I totally agree. As you say, we've had Famous Five, Noddy, film versions of the Adventure series, with Phillip, Dinah and co.

I'd love to see a series with Fatty and co. from the books as Enid wrote them.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes an FFO episode would be wonderful if it was done completely faithfully to the books. Sadly the chances of the TV company being able to resist meddling are small. :cry:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

And the Chorian would want it changed as well. More money in profit and less money spent on it! :?

Shame that Money makes the world go round isn't it?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As I've said elsewhere, change is not a modern plague. The 1950s CFF Five on a Treasure Island was hideously altered - one of the worst changes was Aunt Fanny becoming Aunt Margaret. :roll:
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Having the BBC do the adaptions, does make a lot of sense. My only concern though, is the BBC still owned by the Government (like with the ABC in Australia), or is the BBC a private company now?

If still owned by the Government, the BBC won't be concerned with shareholders, so the money earned by such productions, can be channeled back into programs.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have always thought that the company that does 'Heartbeat' would make a very good adaptation of the Five Find outer books. I even thought 'Ventris' would make a good Mr Goon. I see no reason why the Find outers couldnt be aimed at a family audience, rather than at child viewers. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

There is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread, but sadly I think it is a bit of a pipe dream! I would love to see a six-part serialisation of an Enid Blyton book, but I would probably choose a stand-alone novel, such as The Boy Next Door. There is something slightly unsatisfactory about a book being condensed into half an hour and I'm afraid this is what would happen with something like the Find-Outers.

The reality is that these series don't go down particularly well. The second series of the 90s Famous Five got dropped by the ITV Network half way through as it had such poor viewing figures. I have in the archives all the TV Times that had the 70s series in it, and it would appear that the same thing happened to the second series there. Four stories were shown (three two-parters) and they then went back and repeated two stories (Caravan and Camp) from the first series. I need to liaise with Gary Russell on this, but it would appear that four stories never got shown at all.

Going back to where this thread came in, I have now added the first eight stories from the new series to the Continuation novels in the Book Listing. Have a look as I am sure it will provide something further to moan about! :lol:
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Shame, but it's good to dream isn't it? :D
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Going back to where this thread came in, I have now added the first eight stories from the new series to the Continuation novels in the Book Listing. Have a look as I am sure it will provide something further to moan about! :lol:
Hmm - the titles are a world away from Five Have a Wonderful Time etc! :roll:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

I don't know if it's true, but I thought I read somewhere in the forums that the next series of the 70's FF was cancelled because Chorion (or whoever owned the rights at the time) wouldn't agree to ITV/Southern writing completely new stories in addition to covering the remaining books?

There is possibly more scope for the FFO books to be given sufficient screen time. For example the jokes on Goon, Fatty putting on disguises, pondering over the clues and the children dividing up the tasks to be completed in order to solve the mystery. I did mention this to Leah, the Chorion rep, at the recent EB day.

I believe I read somewhere Tony saying that TV companies aren't interested at the moment in period settings - which would take away a lot of the charm and appeal of the FFO books. :(
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tony Summerfield wrote:There is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread, but sadly I think it is a bit of a pipe dream!
Tony is probably right, but hey guys, why not make our own short play. We could take an extract from one of the Find Outers books. If its good enough, maybe Tony could let us perform the production on the next Enid Blyton Day. :D I'm all for acting like a kid!! Baggsy being Bets though!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:There is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread, but sadly I think it is a bit of a pipe dream!
Tony is probably right, but hey guys, why not make our own short play. We could take an extract from one of the Find Outers books. If its good enough, maybe Tony could let us perform the production on the next Enid Blyton Day. :D I'm all for acting like a kid!! Baggsy being Bets though!!

8)
Can I write it? :D Please? :D

Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:If its good enough, maybe Tony could let us perform the production on the next Enid Blyton Day.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Does that mean "No" Tony? :lol:

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think it means, "Oh goodness; what in heaven's name have I started now!" Image
Society Member