"Chorion" is walling up!!!

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

Would you like to buy a DVD-collection of the great FF 78/79 series?

YES
89%
NO
8%
DUNNO
3%

Total votes: 37

peppermint peppy

Post subject: Re: "Chorion" is walling up!!!

Post by peppermint peppy »

That's great.It works.....
Many thanks for your sympathy and support.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

I'll try and drop them a line too.

By the way, for me the link worked as long as I didn't leave it too long to enter the site - otherwise an advert came up again.
peppermint peppy

Stay tuned.This site is frequented hefty.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've dropped them a line. Congrats all round to the staying power of the investigators!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Have they considered a petition? These can be set up online, there are some sites which do it though I dont know them offhand. The link to the petition could be circulated to websites and forums which deal with Enid Blyton and rare TV. The advantages of this would be that we could show exactly how much interest there is and how many people would be prepared to buy a DVD. This would be of value as these companies are often only interested in how much money they can make. Also to send one powerful petition might be a better approach than dozens of e-mails which will surely only irritate the recipient after a while. Just a thought.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Something tells me that Chorion do not want anything to eclipse the 2008 release of the Famous Five animated series. I predict that this will not be a success as much will be changed, even the childrens names.

Assuming that the video rights were granted, I wonder what exactly survives from the 1970s series? Is it broadcast master tapes or the actual film that the series was shot on? Before the mid 1980s most TV series with numerous outdoor locations were shot and edited on film as opposed to video tape. Would the outakes have been retained as well? Let's hope that this situation can be resolved.
peppermint peppy

Thanks for the incitations boys.For sure the webmasters have been considered one or two possibilities to come to success.
Apart from this they will risk a look in here....on and off! :wink:

Petermax I agree with you regarding the FF-cartoons.
I would never watch a FF-cartoon let alone to recommend or buy those!
This would be pure backstabbing and waste of time.Sorry!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

petermax wrote:Something tells me that Chorion do not want anything to eclipse the 2008 release of the Famous Five animated series. I predict that this will not be a success as much will be changed, even the childrens names.
I agree. however, regarding the children's names, it must be remembered that the children are the offspring of the original four, so would have different names anyway.
Society Member
GeorgeOz

Post by GeorgeOz »

Hi there,

I recently bought the complete DVD series on Ebay for $50 from someone in the UK. Looked like a bootleg job but played brilliantly and I am now watching the last disc. It contained all 26 episodes. Reading all of this, I now feel blessed!

All I can say is keep your eyes on Ebay!

G 8)
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

GeorgeOz wrote:Hi there,

I recently bought the complete DVD series on Ebay for $50 from someone in the UK. Looked like a bootleg job but played brilliantly and I am now watching the last disc. It contained all 26 episodes.
G 8)
I also have the Ebay bootleg of the 70s series and very nice it is too but it is after all a VHS to DVD dub, picture and sound are not at their best. However, I would much prefer an official DVD release with a nice sharp picture and all imperfections digitally removed! Not to mention a remastered soundtrack as well as a bonus disc full of outtakes interviews, deleted scenes etc. Alas, at the moment this is only a dream.
GeorgeOz

Post by GeorgeOz »

True, some of the quality was pretty bad but I guess I was just so happy to watch them, the quality thing was not so much of a concern. Interviews with the now adult child actors would be great. A 'where are they now' type thing.

G
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have stayed firmly out of this debate so far, as I feel it is wrong to make statements and express opinions as to why something isn't happening without properly knowing the facts.

I have had phone calls with Chorion about this subject, and the whole premise of this thread is completely wrong! Chorion are not "Walling up" at all, they would be only too delighted to see a DVD release of this series. In order for a DVD release it will need the permission of both Chorion and the company who own the rights to the series. Therein lies the problem, the rights have changed hands several times over the years and there is currently a legal problem with two companies as to which one actually currently owns the rights to the series. Chorion have been trying to sort this out for several months now.

So the problem is not with Chorion at all. They are quite happy to give their permission for a DVD release, but they are having problems with who actually owns the rights. It therefore seems very stupid to me for people to be inundating Chorion with emails when the problem isn't at their end!!
peppermint peppy

First of all thanks Tony for your statement.I've already written some lines to a few people out there.-To put it mildly I will believe more the
essence of the German website than any promises and statements.But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to.
I hope you've read the sides I pointed out above.
Do you feel the pursued investigations could be wrong?
I think they are elaborated very well.
Mistakes almost happen everywhere - but we will see......
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have always felt that it was unlikely that Chorion would have any objections to DVDs being released - they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The problem all along has been trying to find out who has the current rights and this couldn't possibly be Chorion as they didn't own Enid Blyton rights in the 1970s.

I know that this has been explained to Karl by Nick James the MD of Chorion as I have been sent a copy of the email. I quite understand the enthusiasm and also the frustration with all the delays, and I certainly wasn't trying to call anybody stupid - I was merely saying that it would be foolish to keep sending emails to Chorion when they are doing their best to sort things out and are not the cause of the current problem. Apparently ownership of the rights has changed hands several times over the last 30 years and the current ownership is in dispute.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Whoops! It would seem that there is a minor misunderstanding, at least my email to Chorion was friendly and polite as were the others I hope. We are after all Enid Blyton fans and politeness is something that she referred to frequently in her books.

Its easy to forget that 30 years is a very long time and Southern TV's programmes have changed hands many times. At least we can enjoy some of their output on DVD, gems such as Worzel Gummidge and even Out of Town.

I drove past the former Southern TV studios in Southampton the other day, how forlorn they look now that Meridian TV are resident elsewhere.