Famous Five 90s Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five 90s Series

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Thanks Chrissie :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Enjoyed watching Five Get into Trouble, this afternoon, I have now downloaded all the episodes (except two, neither part of Five Go to Smuggler's Top, can be found on YouTube) of the 1990's Famous Five TV series, from YouTube.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

For some reason Smuggler's Top isn't available online anywhere, which is a great shame as personally I though it was one of the best ones. I am guessing that it's because it's missing off the actual dvd sets which have been used to upload the other episodes. I have Smuggler's Top, but on video and I'm still trying to find a way of putting it on the computer otherwise I'd upload it to YouTube myself.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

With a TV-Capture card you shouldn't have much problems, Icemaiden.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

What is one of those? I'm afraid I'm no good with things like that, not beyond the basics anyway!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Billy Farmer wrote:Enjoyed watching both parts of Five on a Treasure Island, this afternoon, I liked the cast, and the locations, were very good, the episodes were quite fast paced.

I like the 1990's Famous Five, TV series, but could never compare it, to the 1970's TV version, of the Famous Five, which is my favourite screen version of the Famous Five.
Glad you're enjoying watching the 90s TV series, Billy Farmer. This series will always be my favourite as I grew up watching it and prefer the cast, costuming and locations. I like the 70s series as well, but I will never warm to it in the same way as the 90s series.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I feel the same way even though I was young when the 1970's TV series was first on TV.
But it did not portray the FF the way I loved them from the books. Eileen A. Soper was and still is (together with Stuart Tresilian) my favorite EB illustrator, so I had certain expectations about the way the FF looked and the old cars etc.
The 1970's FF series was just too modern. Didn't care for the song either. Bertelsmann modernized the illustrations and made the text PC way back then, so I should have been warned that the TV series would get an overhaul as well.

Twenty years later the 1990's TV series was aired on German TV. I gave it another shot and am glad I did, because George really looked like George and the ambiente this time was so much closer to the books I grew up with.

The dog was the wrong kind of dog in both TV series, but I guess they couldn't find one that looked like Timmy.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Deej92 wrote:Glad you're enjoying watching the 90s TV series, Billy Farmer. This series will always be my favourite as I grew up watching it and prefer the cast, costuming and locations. I like the 70s series as well, but I will never warm to it in the same way as the 90s series.
I enjoyed watching two more episodes (Five Fall into Adventure & Five Go to Demon's Rocks) of the 1990's Famous Five TV series, this afternoon.

There will always be some members on this forum, who like the 1990's TV version of The Famous Five, better than the 1970's TV version, and vice versa, the 1970's TV version of The Famous Five, will always be my favourite screen version of The Famous Five, and my favourite cast member will always be Jennifer Thanisch (Anne).

I do like the 1990's TV version of The Famous Five, very much, I like all the cast, and the locations are very good, I have now burnt all of the episodes (except one), which I downloaded from YouTube, on to DVD-R discs, and look forward to watching the rest of the series, except the 2 parts of Five Go to Smuggler's Top, which can't be found on YouTube.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

A TV-capture card (or stick) is a gadget for PCs to record films/sound that are aired, transfered by cable or satelite. I still prefer the card I bought 2004 for recording films/clips transferred with a scart cable. Unfortunately it only runs well with Windows XP, for later Windows Systems I don't have the drivers.
I have a second capture card which I used for recording directly from satelite signals, but which also allows to record analogue signals like scart. Unfortunately I can't edit these files for they have a strange format which my software I use for editing can't deal with properly.
I use hardware by Hauppauge and didn't have much trouble using it, and the results are satisfying, but of course there are other onesw.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Deej92

Post by Deej92 »

Chrissie777 wrote:I feel the same way even though I was young when the 1970's TV series was first on TV.
But it did not portray the FF the way I loved them from the books. Eileen A. Soper was and still is (together with Stuart Tresilian) my favorite EB illustrator, so I had certain expectations about the way the FF looked and the old cars etc.
The 1970's FF series was just too modern. Didn't care for the song either. Bertelsmann modernized the illustrations and made the text PC way back then, so I should have been warned that the TV series would get an overhaul as well.

Twenty years later the 1990's TV series was aired on German TV. I gave it another shot and am glad I did, because George really looked like George and the ambiente this time was so much closer to the books I grew up with.

The dog was the wrong kind of dog in both TV series, but I guess they couldn't find one that looked like Timmy.
Yes, I too thought the FF 90s series was more in line with how I envisaged the books than the 70s series. I also agree that both Timmy's were the wrong kind of dog, although I found the Timmy in the 90s series to be more similar to how I pictured him in the books. I like the characters who play George in both series.
Deej92

Post by Deej92 »

Billy Farmer wrote:
I enjoyed watching two more episodes (Five Fall into Adventure & Five Go to Demon's Rocks) of the 1990's Famous Five TV series, this afternoon.

There will always be some members on this forum, who like the 1990's TV version of The Famous Five, better than the 1970's TV version, and vice versa, the 1970's TV version of The Famous Five, will always be my favourite screen version of The Famous Five, and my favourite cast member will always be Jennifer Thanisch (Anne).

I do like the 1990's TV version of The Famous Five, very much, I like all the cast, and the locations are very good, I have now burnt all of the episodes (except one), which I downloaded from YouTube, on to DVD-R discs, and look forward to watching the rest of the series, except the 2 parts of Five Go to Smuggler's Top, which can't be found on YouTube.
I enjoy both the Adventure and Demon's Rock episodes. I'd agree also that some members on the forum are going to prefer the 70s series and other the 90s series. I think both of them are great but I'll always prefer the 90s series personally. My favourite cast member is Paul Child, who I thought played the part of Dick really well. It's a shame that the 90s series Smuggler's Top episodes aren't on You Tube, as this is one of my favourite books. I do like the 70s version of this book which I believe can be watched on You Tube.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Billy Farmer wrote: I have now burnt all of the episodes ...
I did something similar to some Maxey illustrated books once...
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

:D :D :D :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:twisted: :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Billy Farmer wrote:I do like the 1990's TV version of The Famous Five, very much, I like all the cast, and the locations are very good, I have now burnt all of the episodes (except one), which I downloaded from YouTube, on to DVD-R discs, and look forward to watching the rest of the series, except the 2 parts of Five Go to Smuggler's Top, which can't be found on YouTube.
I do have the 1990's version of "Five go to Smuggler's Top" on DVD, both parts, but only with German dubbing, no English track or subtitles :(.
There once was a Dutch version with English track which I also have, but I believe it didn't contain "Smuggler's Top".
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock