Famous Five 90s Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: Famous Five 90s Series

Post by Dick Kirrin »

My fiance has even started watching them with me which is crazy because he's always making fun of me for always reading children's books and watching children's films. But he stumbled upon me watching an episode a few nights ago and ever since he has been asking to watch an episode each night. It's great!
That's cool really. You and your fiance sitting in the living room watching Famous Five. Just goes to show that EB somehow suits any given occasion.

Personally I like the 70s version better for the reasons mentioned by Anita and TB3. They put a lot of time and effort in the 1990s version, and it was well worth it, but it is hard to outperform Marcus, Gary, Michelle and Jennifer, not to mention Toddy.
The thing that I dislike most about the 1990s series is that for all the time and effort they put into it, they trie and deal with each book in 23'. Why didn't they do some more two-parters? Or even four-parters as the did with the Adventure Series. If they had done this, the cast of the 90s might have had a chance to show their full abilities at acting.
I'm not sure about it, but my preference for the 1970s version might be to do with the filming as well. In the 1970s version they used the cameras differently, I believe. They did do a lot at the child actors' eye level which made you feel being with them when watching it. I'm not sure but to me the 1990s series is more like watching people at a stage.
Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

adventuregirl wrote:
So yes, I do love this version of the series.
Yes, a far superior version, in my opinion; I also love the theme music. However, I agree that Marco Williamson was rather over the top! I must also agree to a point with Dick Kirrin that the cast of the 70s series was its strength, I also agree that every episode should run for at least 50 minutes.

My thoughts on Jemima Rooper have been made elswhere on these forums!
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I've just been re-watching Five on Treasure Island, and it occured to me to just ask/point this out.

In the first episode at least, Uncle Quentin is the brother to Julian, Dick and Anne's father, hense the three should have the last name Kirrin.

So why would it be, that the Great Great Great Grandfather's who's ship had been wrecked on Kirrin Island, only be related to George??? :?

Just a random wonderment!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't know about the TV series as I can't recall having seen it, but I think in the original book the island actually belonged to George's mother and she gave it to George. I always thought it strange though as the island and surrounding area are called Kirrin, and yet it belonged to Aunt Fanny's side of the family, maybe she was a distant cousin of Quentin and so shared the same surname? Much as I love Enid Blyton books, there do appear to be the odd discrepencies in her writing from time to time. I think I worked it out once that Julian would have been in his early 20s by the time the last book came out :!:
Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

There is a whole tread dealing with "Famous Five Fluffs" and the age problem is among these, I think. Some calculations see Julian at 21-22 from what we can gather from the books. As the references to past events are scarce, we cannot be sure, however. Might well be that the Five manage two or even more adventures in one break. :D
I somehow like to explain fluffs by finding even more unconvincing explantions, sorry if that's off-topic.

Another Blyton fan came up with the very convincing idea that when Quentin and Fanny first met in Cambridge - or was it Oxford? - they didn't know that they were in fact faintly related and their uncommon last name was what got them engaged. As Quentin is very likely to forget any name other than Kirrin, and girls just might feel offended if you cannot recall their name, it may have been fate which bound them together. :)
As I wrote, very convincing, but it would explain why the whole area can bear the name Kirrin.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

And to add completely to the confusion, in "Five get into a fix", the three siblings have the surname "Bernard", while in Finniston Farm they introduce themselves as Kirrins...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
pauljuzza

Post by pauljuzza »

The Well known Five may not exactly be for older children, but nonetheless, I am sure there are many out there who recall lovingly this series of 21 novels featuring the adventurous quartet of children and their dog, Timmy.

Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Spam seems to be on special offer this week
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Wayne Pyer wrote:Spam seems to be on special offer this week
I'm afraid so and I suspect that there are more to come!! 30 people have so far registered on the forums this month and as yet only five have logged on - two of whom are obvious spammers. I don't think it is too much of a problem as I suspect that they have already posted their one and only post! :roll:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

pauljuzza wrote:The Well known Five may not exactly be for older children...
At least he tried to mention a well known series - even if the online translator turned Famous into Well Known!!!

What next, I hear you ask? The Hidden Seven? The Five Discoverers and Dog? The Correctors? I hope this doesn't give Pete an idea for a new game! :wink:
Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Moonraker wrote:
pauljuzza wrote:The Well known Five may not exactly be for older children...
At least he tried to mention a well known series - even if the online translator turned Famous into Well Known!!!

What next, I hear you ask? The Hidden Seven? The Five Discoverers and Dog? The Correctors? I hope this doesn't give Pete an idea for a new game! :wink:
:lol:
Never use those online translators! They are useless!
But at least we've got something to laugh about :wink:.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I'm afraid I'm being a bore and returning to thesubject of this thread and not the spambots. :wink:

I've just had a quiet afternoon watching the 90's series (one of my favourite past times). I was watching Five have a Mystery to solve, and thought of some of the things that have been said about Marco in this thread.
Even through my childhood crush on him, I do agree with some of the points of made, but do feel the need to defend him! :lol:

At the end of Five have a Mystery to Solve, where Anne turns into a Tiger and trips up one the bad guys and starts kicking sand in his face and then gets captured by the other man (A rather long way away from what happened in the book, but the 20- 25 minute episode doesn't allow the plot to work the way it does in the book, as already discussed). As Anne starts to squeal, the camera cuts to Julian, Dick, George and the bratty Wilfred, and it was interesting for me to note that Marco, when he sees whats' happened to Anne and shouts her name, does appear to completely panic striken, like I would expect Julian to be in that situation, whereas, Jemima's cry of "Anne" seems rather flat, and there's not a peep from Paul.

Just thought I'd make a point of saying that, for me, I thought that was a superb moment of acting for Marco, who really seemed to get out of his parody acting of Julian, and really seems to connect to him in that moment.
There are a few moments in other episodes where I do feel, for all the lack of compassion shown by the script for Julian as a character, Marco does connect well with Julian on occasion.

Just my two pennies worth on Marco's acting! :D 8)
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good points well made, P-S! It is time, I feel, for a re-watch of this particular series. :D
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:Good points well made, P-S! It is time, I feel, for a re-watch of this particular series. :D

Hang on... You're agreeing with me?! :shock:

Who are you and what have you done with Nigel?! :lol:

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Good points well made, P-S! It is time, I feel, for a re-watch of this particular series. :D
Hang on... You're agreeing with me?! :shock:
Who are you and what have you done with Nigel?! :lol:
I've hacked into his account after tying him up and dumping him in his shed! :D
Society Member