Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

Yes post a photo!!!
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Just been for a ride that way on the motorbike and unfortunately it appears I was utterly deluded, not sure why I had it in my head that It was down there.
Its bugging me now though so I`ll keep looking. I asked my parents and they didnt know the location. Its probably some way outside Exbury, I`ll have a mooch about in Beaulieu and Hilltop when I get the chance.
Well it was a nice ride out anyway, I stopped at gatebridge but couldnt see the elephant paddling in the river!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's great that you went to have a look, Pinkmoon! Please keep us posted if you find out anything more.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Hi Pinkmoon,

If you go out for a ride, don't forget your camera, and please post some pictures of the Exbury scenery (with - of course - your motorbike in front of it :wink: ) !

Hi Gary,

Why waiting so long, maybe you can please us with a sneak preview to your guide to FF locations..? :wink:

Regards,
Wouter
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Got a few pics I took a while back I can post....hope this works.
They are not great photos but they are of locations you might recognise .Image[/img]
IMG]
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Wow! A lot of replies since my last time here! Thank you all (especially Gary!) for helping me! Hope that you all keep on posting (and that Gary will write his memoirs a bit earlier) so that we will find out where the location is. Great pictures, pinkmoon! Where's the third picture from? I can't recognize the spot.

Have a great time!
André
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

The third picture is the main Exbury road. The building on the right by the silver car is the old shop and post office ( now closed down :( ).
In 'Five go off in a caravan' you can see the kids buying ice creams here.
Just around the corner from the photo is the side entrance to Exbury gardens and Exbury house and also the greenhouses they used as the butterfly farm in which episode I forget.
Anyway I shall endeavor to discover the location of Kirrin cottage while about my New forest rambles. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for posting the photos, Pinkmoon!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes pinkmoon many thanks indeed. Fascinating to see the locations as they look now. Maybe I'll go for a holiday there sometime. Cheers.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Many thanks Pinkmoon!
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Glad you all liked the photos, I can easily post some more if people are interested.
Just been looking at the youtube Kirrin cottage shots on ' five go adventuring again' and it appears to be up a long gravel track with open coutryside all around.
There are only three such tracks in the countryside just outside of Exbury village, East hill lane, gatewood lane and Lower Exbury lane and its none of these.
Hilltop which is between Exbury and Beaulieu is more a combination of heathland and wooded areas so my guess is that its in the Beaulieu, Bucklers hard, Sowley, St. Leonards area. Though its rather difficult to tell by watching it on youtube.
Can anyone suggest what episode has the clearest footage of the area surrounding ' Kirrin cottage' ?
I`ll go for a ride about the area at the weekend and venture down every gravel track I come across!
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Dear Pinkmoon,

there is no particular episode in which you have the best view on the area around "Kirrin Cottage". It has to be a combination of different episodes. I would suggest: Kirrin Island, Go Adventuring again, Go off to Camp. There are certainly some more, but these will do the job.

All the best,
André
Yan

Post by Yan »

Dear pinkmoon,

in the episode "Five run away together" you can see that "Kirrin Cottage" is surrounded by several other buildings. Perhaps this will help you.

And in "Five are together again" the house can be watched in a different perspective when George arrives there on her bike to get Timmy.
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Thanks Andre and Yan.
Im having fun picking out all the locations on the youtube videos, I recognise just about everywhere other than Kirrin cottage, its most infuriating.
Im just watching the Exbury village scenes in 'Kirrin island' now and its weird seeing the places I know and love so much.
I would probably have been very close by in my bedroom as a five year old, perhaps even watching the filming out of my window!
Kirrin

kirrin

Post by Kirrin »

I know somewhere on the german site it tells you where the 90's version is as its actuallt a b&b and a national trust property I printed it off so I will look 4 the location name but its in the west country if Ai REMEMBER RIGHT BUT NOT NEAR THE SEA. PLUS ITS THATCHED.