A film of the school stories

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

A film made of Malory Towers/St Clares

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 24

Issy

A film of the school stories

Post by Issy »

Does anyone else share in the opinion that a TV series/film should be made of Blyton's school stories esp Malory Towers and St Clare's?
Issy

Post by Issy »

Problem would be getting the cast and characterisation right from the books. TV series/films can often ruin perfectly good books if badly made or a tight budget used. But anyhow it should happen! If another author can write sequels under the original author's name, then surely a film can be made true to the original books!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

School Stories/Jim'll Fix It

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Issy, I have to confess that I voted "no" to a film/TV series of St Clare's or Malory Towers because I fear that the stories and characters would be modernised and altered out of all recognition.

Does anyone remember a Jim'll Fix It programme, shown around 1981 I think, in which a girl wrote in and asked Jim to fix it for her to go to Malory Towers? The producers arranged for her to go to a boarding school where the activities included a disco at which Shakin' Stevens put in an appearance, singing one of his songs. That the girl was disappointed became clear when she commented at the end that it was all "a bit more modern" than she'd expected. She'd envisaged being transported to a world of jolly japes, lacrosse and cocoa, but instead was given pop music!

Anita
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I, too, voted no for pretty much the same reasons. 'Grange Hill' sort of pretty much covers the school genre on children's television.

How many feel like me that The Five Find Outers would make a smashing series for TV?

It would be a series pretty much like 'Heartbeat', I feel, with Ventriss as Goon!

As long as it was done in period, and the scripts written carefully, I'm sure it would make a brilliant series.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Robert Houghton wrote:I, too, voted no for pretty much the same reasons. 'Grange Hill' sort of pretty much covers the school genre on children's television.

How many feel like me that The Five Find Outers would make a smashing series for TV?

It would be a series pretty much like 'Heartbeat', I feel, with Ventriss as Goon!

As long as it was done in period, and the scripts written carefully, I'm sure it would make a brilliant series.
What a brilliant idea! It would have to be high budget of course to make sure they got all the details spot on.

Something with a lovely setting and quirky feel, like Midsommer Murders in that sense (but not of course in terms of plot and year when set).
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

what an absolutely smashing suggestion!
Issy

Post by Issy »

ba ha ha with a wah ha ha!!!
Kirrin

what?

Post by Kirrin »

what??
Raci

Post by Raci »

Issy wrote:ba ha ha with a wah ha ha!!!
I would have to join Kirrin in saying what?? to this comment!
Issy

Post by Issy »

its so funny to fantasise about idyllic films being made about books...not really going to happen though. Pretty funny to think about though...not sure if that explains the comment but there goes.
Katie

No Thank You

Post by Katie »

I'd have to say no thank you

It's all about my imagination, and the books would be very much spoilt for me personally.

You see, I know what they all look like in my mind, and how the school is set out and look's.

You know how they look in your mind, and another person in their own mind, and defiantly a director would have his or her own interpretation of the characters and set, so for me a NO thank you vote.

I love my imagination and all that Enid Blyton created and allowed me to see in my own mind :)

Smiles
Katie
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Did I dream this or was there once a children's TV series of Malory mooted with Liz Hurley set to play Miss Potts?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
A fan of Alicia
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Darrell, Alicia, Moria, June and Felicity

Re: A film of the school stories

Post by A fan of Alicia »

If there was a film made of the school stories, they should be like the books, and not mordenised. If they were mordenised, it would ruin it.
"My school," thought Darrell, and a little warm feeling came into her heart.

The O'Sullivan twins are going to be SOMEBODIES!