famous five on dvd

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Kirrin

famous five on dvd

Post by Kirrin »

Which series were ever released on dvd? I know about video's but not dvd.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Consulting the ever-essential Wikipedia, it seems that the 1978 series is only on DVD in Australia and New Zealand. Of the 1996 series, only Five on a Treasure Island is actually available in the UK, though the series did make it onto DVD in parts of mainland Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famous ... eo_and_DVD
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Some episodes of the 1970s Famous Five series were released on DVD in Australia in error, it should have been the 1990s series. Needless to say the DVDs were recalled and disposed of.

It would be nice to have an official DVD release of the 1970s series perhaps with extras such as interviews/commentaries by the surviving cast members and footage of their other TV appearances. I can't see it happening though, as the potential market would be relatively small. Who else other than us nostalgic 30/40 somethings would purchase a TV show that was filmed 30 years ago? Certainly not todays youngsters who lead very complicated high speed lives.
dsr

Post by dsr »

The second 1990's series can be found on ebay - the box is in Dutch, "De Vijf", but it's subtitled, not dubbed, and the subtitles can be removed.
DSR
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

After they recalled the DVD's in Australia, they released them again, but this time they put 15 episodes of the 1997 FF series on them. But not many stores sold them - you had to order them specially if you wanted a copy.
Amelia Jane

Post by Amelia Jane »

petermax wrote:Some episodes of the 1970s Famous Five series were released on DVD in Australia in error, it should have been the 1990s series. Needless to say the DVDs were recalled and disposed of.
I have that dvd set. I didn't know they had been recalled but I wouldn't have given them up, even if I had heard. :D The box cover and first episode on disc 1 is the 90s series, but the rest of the episodes and the menu page is all 70s.

My 6 year old son enjoys watching them and likes to sing along, "Wherever there's adventure to be found..."
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

dsr wrote:The second 1990's series can be found on ebay - the box is in Dutch, "De Vijf", but it's subtitled, not dubbed, and the subtitles can be removed.
For some reason, only 12 episodes were released in the Dutch boxset - the missing one is 'Five Go Off in a Caravan', if I recall correctly.

Two countries, Spain and Denmark, have released complete boxsets containing all 26 episodes - both with the original English-language soundtrack as an option. However, the Spanish boxset ('Los Cinco') - which unusually features Galician and Basque-language soundtracks, besides Spanish and English - is deleted. The Danish boxset is titled 'De Fem'. The German releases should be avoided, as they are in German only. A full UK release is sadly unlikely, as the 90s series simply wasn't popular in its native country; even the single volume that was released here ('Five on a Treasure Island' in 2004) is deleted.
jolly

Dubbed DVD available

Post by jolly »

Hi all,

i know there's a lot of people like me who would love to watch the 70's series again. I bought a 3 DVDs from a guy who has dubbed them from the original TV broadcast. The quality's good and it's been converted to widescreen which looks beaut.

There's 4 episodes on each title. It all goes through Paypal, really efficient. $25USD per disc, postage included.

I found him from a forum on IMDB. My kids love watching them, they're 6 and 8.

I also bought the classic NZ series Under The Mountain. If any of you remember? It like the FF has yet to have an official release on DVD, if ever.

I can pass on his details if you're interested. I'm happy.
:P
Kim
Favourite book/series: Five Findouters and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Famous Five DVDs

Post by Kim »

Yes, the 3 DVD disk set of the 1990s FF version was available in Australia from Sanity until about a year or so ago which is when I bought it. A quick check this evening on their web site shows that although still listed at A$40.99 it is currently not available.

The 3 disk set has 13 episodes (11 stories), but I believe that prior to this issue (which is sub-titled 'revised edition') there was a 4 disk set.

In the unlikely event that the 70s series is reissued I would be one of the first in line, such a shame entertainment has moved on to more 'sophisticated' passtimes, which to me are far less innocent than these delightful stories. But perhaps I am just showing my age and that this is what passes for 'progress'?
KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I have most of the series on VHS and the full set on DVD bought on Ebay some time ago.
dsr

Post by dsr »

The Dutch have now released their second series (starting with Five on a Treasure Island!?) with another 12 episodes. Which presumably means 2 are missing, no idea which.

Anyway, it's available on ebay, although not yet on Amazon.
DSR
GeorgeOz

Post by GeorgeOz »

Hi there,

I have a couple of VHS tapes of the 1990s series - and they're very dreary to watch (the kid who plays Julian overacts to [censored]). I only bought them because I couldn't find the by far superior '70s episodes anywhere - which was what I grew up with.

But then my luck changed!

I recently found the complete DVD series on Ebay for $50 from someone in the UK and bought it. Looked like a bootleg job but played brilliantly and I am now watching the last disc. It contained all 26 episodes.

All I can say is keep your eyes on Ebay!

G 8)
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

GeorgeOz wrote:Hi there,
I have a couple of VHS tapes of the 1990s series - and they're very dreary to watch (the kid who plays Julian overacts to [censored]). )
I too prefer the 1970s series but I do however like the 90s series for its period detail as well as Jemima Roopers portrayal of George. The way she frowns and stomps about with hands in pockets is pure classic!
GeorgeOz

Post by GeorgeOz »

Ahh, well I do have to agree there. She ~was~ a good actor and did typify the George of my imagination rather well. I just found Julian so distracting. I did enjoy the period detail, and the thing I liked about the 1970s adaptation is that so little had to be changed to make it work. It'd be a different story now though with the advent of various technologies and the radically different modern childhood (if you can call it that - seems so short and then they're young adults) kids experience today.

G
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Exactly! For the most part little was changed for the 1970s series except where necessary to accomodate the running times and also where copyright for certain books was not available.The 1940s/50s dialogue was literally transplanted into a 1970s backdrop. (super! smashing! etc) Even back in the 70s kids never spoke like that, rather stronger language was used as I recall.

I too pity the kids these days, childhood is indeed short. Back in the mid 1970s I used to roam my local fields and woods with my catapult and bowie knife in emulation of my hero, Richmal Crompton's "Just William". Any youngster carrying such items these days would be subject to an A.S.B.O!