famous five on dvd

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
dsr

Post by dsr »

There are usually quite a lot of 20+ year old videos of the 70's series available on ebay. Or, if you want a 26-episode dvd, which I couldn't possibly know whether it was a bootleg version or not and which I'm sure this site wouldn't advertise if it was, you'd just have to google something like "enid blyton - famous five (1978) dvd" and see what you find :wink:
DSR
Petermax

Re: famous five on dvd

Post by Petermax »

dsr wrote:The Dutch have now released their second series (starting with Five on a Treasure Island!?) with another 12 episodes. Which presumably means 2 are missing, no idea which.
Anyway, it's available on ebay, although not yet on Amazon.
Here’s a belated answer to this question. If you purchase both Dutch boxsets (De Vijf Deel 1 & Deel 2) of the 1990s Famous Five series then you will have 24 episodes, the missing episodes are Five To Smugglers Top parts 1 & 2. Inexplicably Boxset 1 contains Series 2 minus Five Go Off in a Caravan and Boxset 2 contains Series 1 plus Five Go Off in a Caravan from Series 2 but missing out Five Go Off to Smugglers Top! Confused?

On both boxsets the episodes are arranged in random order with the menus bearing little relation to the contents. Picture and sound are OK although the colours are perhaps slightly muted. Dutch sub-titles are included but these are easily switched off.

Are the Dutch editions worth having despite the absence of Smugglers Top? They are
quite inexpensive compared to the 26 episode 8 DVD edition available on Amazon and very compact if like me one has far too many bulky VHS tapes. If anyone already has these editions then the following lists may be an aid to navigation around those Dutch menus.

Boxset 1 (Deel 1)
Disc 1 Five Go Down To The Sea Part 1 Five Go Down To The Sea Part 2, Five Have
a Mystery To Solve, Five Run Away Together

Disc 2 Five Are Together Again, Five Get Into A Fix , Five Go To Billycock Hill Part 1,
Five Go To Billycock Hill Part 2

Disc 3 Five Go To Mystery Moor, Five On a Hike Together, Five Have a Wonderful
Time Part 1, Five Have a Wonderful Time Part 2

Boxset 2 (Deel 2)
Disc 1 Five on a Treasure Island Part 1, Five on a Treasure Island Part 2,
Five Go Off in a Caravan, Five Fall Into Adventure

Disc 2 Five on Kirrin Island Again, Five Go To Demons Rocks, Five On a Secret Trail,
Five Have Plenty of Fun

Disc 3 Five Go Adventuring Again, Five on Finniston Farm, Five Get Into Trouble, Five
Go Off To Camp

In order to view the episodes in chronological order you will need a list such as this one
posted on this forum by Tony Summerfield. http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... it=#p17800
dsr

Post by dsr »

Thanks for that, Petermax, now I know which tapes to get rid of. Lucky old nephews and nieces. I'm surprised Smugglers Top was missed out, I thought that was one of the best ones.
DSR
famousfiver
Favourite book/series: All Famous Five books & '78 tv series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by famousfiver »

Gee I really wish the Famous Five 70's series was released on DVD. In Australia the videos were released from 1989 to ~ 1992. Unfortunately I didn't buy them all because I must have presumed they would always be around. Luckily I got some episodes copied from a local library and some on ebay to complete the set. I wish I had known at the time about the DVD version mistakenly released in Australia - I would have been so lucky if I could have obtained a copy! As far as I know there wasn't any publicity about the mistake here.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

The forthcoming DVD release of the 1970s series is currently in limbo, it could take years to sort out. You will find out more details on this forum.

By the way, welcome to E.B.S Forum Famousfiver, don't forget to post a few lines in the "Introduce Yourself" section.