Enid Blyton TV shows Adventure / Secret / Famous Five

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
blytonseeker

Enid Blyton TV shows Adventure / Secret / Famous Five

Post by blytonseeker »

I've noticed quite a few forums mentioning the great TV shows that have been produced from the pages of an Enid Blyton novel. Oh what a glorious subject and one of my favourites since childhood. I have been researching this area for sometime now and will collect anything connected to the shows as well as collecting the shows on dvd/video. These are the shows that I have found so far:

The Famous Five 1978 - Video only

The Famous Five 1996 - Video (English) DVD (Spanish)
Five on a Treasure Island - 1996 - DVD Release

The Castle of Adventure 1992 - Video (Two different covers)

The Island of Adventure 1981 - Video + NSTC USA Video release x 2 (they have different covers)

Five Get Into Trouble 1987 - Danish version - USA dubbed english
Five Go Adventuring Again - Danish Version - English subtitles - No release on video known.

Five On Treasure Island - 1957 Cinema Serial Video

All Eight Adventure Movies - 1996 - Cloud 9 entertainment. - Aussie Video
Island Of Adventure - 1996 - Cloud 9 Entertainment - USA NSTC Release
http://www.entercloud9.com has more info on this series which was only released in Germany and Australia.

All Five Secret Series Movies - 1998 - Cloud 9 entertainment - Never released on video - I have managed to get production copies on Video.

Comic Strip Presents - Five go Mad in Dorset - Five go mad in Mascalin - This was released on video and is due to be released on DVD.

Famous Five Musical - DVD and Video release.

I appreciate the Noddy lovers and faraway tree collectors but I don't collect any of these. Sorry.

I know that there are a couple that I'm missing. They are:

The japanese version of Five get into Trouble.
The cinema Serial Mystery to solve 1962 I think is the date off the top of my head.

I think the australian releases have got some bad reviews from some, but I have watched them all over and over again and the kids love them (which is ideal for me!! Sad I know !!) Cloud 9 need shooting for not releasing them over here. They are very hard to find and I have noticed that some have only found three or four out of the eight movies.

Anyway I hope the list helps any other seekers out there.

Jackie Conners (blytonseeker@aol.com)
A.R.

Adventure Series

Post by A.R. »

With reference to your posting above, I thought the Adventure Series (1996) produced by Cloud 9 Entertainment was not available on video? I emailed the production company and they replied that this series was as yet not released in any form? They said that they were discussing the idea with their distributors and IF they decide to, only then will this series be released ?

Needing clarification,
Thanks in advance.
- A.R.
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

As far as I know none of the adventure/secret series from new zeland are avaliable to by on video but please correct me if I am wrong!
Jackie Conners

Adventure Series

Post by Jackie Conners »

Cloud 9 seem to be mis informed!!! How odd, All eight of the adventure films were released in australia. They were also released in Germany. The first film Island made it onto NSTC video in america and I believe they released a few others as I managed to get pictures of the releases.4

The secret series has never been released anywhere! I begged and borrowed for my set!!

from jackie
blytonseeker@aol.com
dsr

Secret series

Post by dsr »

The Secret series has been issued in Germany, in November 2006. It can be seen on Amazon.de. I don't know whether the English soundtrack is on these DVDs - I've emailed Cloud 9 to ask them, awaiting a reply.
blytonseeker

Post by blytonseeker »

The secret series on dvd is in dutch only....no english...hows your dutch??

Cloud 9 contacted me and stated that there were no english titles on these.....
dsr

Post by dsr »

Rotten! Why do they have to dub these programmes?

12 episodes of the 1990's Famous Five series are available on a Dutch DVD, but in English with Dutch subtitles; and the subtitles can easily be taken off.

Someone is selling the entire video set of the Adventure series on ebay now. Starting bid £120 - I'm not bidding! Clearly it was released in Australia.

Anyone desperate to have a copy of the Adventure series on DVD could always try googling ["enid blyton - adventure series" dvd] - you never know what you might find :wink:
DSR
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Re: Enid Blyton TV shows Adventure / Secret / Famous Five

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

blytonseeker wrote: The japanese version of Five get into Trouble.
Do you mean to say that they made a Japanese version of this, or is the Danish movie dubbed into Japanese?
blytonseeker wrote:Five Go Adventuring Again - Danish Version - English subtitles - No release on video known.
Also, are you saying that you have a copy of this?

John K
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I'm afraid that one of the problems of asking a question about a post that was made over two years ago is that the person who made it may no longer be looking in, so I thought I had better answer your query for you, John.

The Danish version of Five Go Adventuring Again was made into a video dubbed into English (not subtitled), but it was never commercially released. We showed an extract of this at an Enid Blyton Day a few years ago, but to the best of my knowledge that is the only 'outing' of the English version.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am confused as to why a couple of posts above - one by A.R. and one by Jackie Connors - don't have any information about the poster. I've never seen this before! :?
Society Member
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I'm afraid that one of the problems of asking a question about a post that was made over two years ago is that the person who made it may no longer be looking in, so I thought I had better answer your query for you, John.

The Danish version of Five Go Adventuring Again was made into a video dubbed into English (not subtitled), but it was never commercially released. We showed an extract of this at an Enid Blyton Day a few years ago, but to the best of my knowledge that is the only 'outing' of the English version.
Thanks for the information Tony - wish I could make it to an EB Day. That's probably the worst of living in Australia. Some of these things are really hard to come across out here.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moonraker wrote:I am confused as to why a couple of posts above - one by A.R. and one by Jackie Connors - don't have any information about the poster. I've never seen this before! :?
I think I can answer my own question. These were from "Guests", in earlier times guests could post without the need to register.
Society Member
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

The secret series has never been released anywhere! I begged and borrowed for my set!!
I'm confused...how does one get the secret series if it hasn't been released...thanks, JC
I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list. – Susan Sontag Disney Tours
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I have to laugh out loud. :mrgreen:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

JCDenton wrote:
I'm confused...how does one get the secret series if it hasn't been released...thanks, JC
Sometimes a series/programme is made, but not commercially released. However, like most things, if you have the right contacts it is possible to obtain a copy.
Society Member