The Enchanted Castle

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Stephen

The Enchanted Castle

Post by Stephen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'd also like to see The Enchanted Castle, which was filmed a few years later.

Anita
Wasn't that just about the most scary children's show of all time? Statues coming to life and having garden parties? Chilldren turning into statues? Rooms of seated dolls and mannequins bursting into applause? I would only have been about five or six at the time, and it absolutely terrified me!

I've split this from the '78 series thread to keep that one on topic and give this it's own life. G@K
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The mannequins were called the Ugly-Wuglies - they were wonderful. I was about ten when I watched The Enchanted Castle so I wasn't scared so much as mesmerized. It's such an imaginative story. Have you read the book, Stephen? My copy has a scene from the TV series on the cover.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The mannequins were called the Ugly-Wuglies - they were wonderful. I was about ten when I watched The Enchanted Castle so I wasn't scared so much as mesmerized. It's such an imaginative story. Have you read the book, Stephen? My copy has a scene from the TV series on the cover.

Anita
I haven't read the book, but I'll certainly check it out now. I've got this sudden sense of childhood nostalgia!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you enjoy it if you get a copy. I re-read it about five years ago and the story had retained its magic.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

One of my favourite subjects - The Enchanted Castle. I really do wish it was on DVD, but it looks as if the BBC are never going to release it. It was very well made, and the setting was wonderful too. The Ugly- Wuglies must stick in almost every child's mind who watched it back then. I. too, have the paperback with the picture from the TV series on the front.

I've also got the paperback of 'The Phoenix and the Carpet' with Gary Russell on the cover! (This was mentioned in the thread before we were removed to this new thread. Gary mentioned being in this series)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 20 Mar 2007, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I'd love to see the TV version of The Enchanted Castle, it's one of my favourite books. I'm torn between wanting someone to do a remake, since the effects would be very do-able now, and terror at how badly wrong the casting could go.

I hold a forlorn hope that the retro version will appear in one of those Daily Mail collect at Smith's DVDs for kids promotions.