Travelling far

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
HelenC

Travelling far

Post by HelenC »

Hi everyone. I have joined the Society in the hope of being able to identify a book which my partner fondly remembers from his childhood. It was a Famous Five book and one of the chapters relating to the children's initial train journey was headed (he thinks) "Travelling Far". This was what one of the children described the sound of the train as 'saying' - "travelling far, travelling far ..." It is really the only part of the book he recalls but I would love to be able to find out which book it was and buy it for his birthday. I have searched on Google but not been able to find it.

I did find the book I remembered most from my childhood and treated myself to The Treasure Hunters for my own birthday earlier this month! I read it in a day but it was still just as enjoyable and engaging as when I read it as a child. :-)

Any help in identifying the book for my partner would be gratefully received. Many thanks. Helen
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Travelling far

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Helen. I remember reading the following words in Chapter 6 of The Sea of Adventure, and the chapter is indeed called 'Travelling Far'. It's not a Famous Five story but it's a thrilling adventure story (one of my absolute favourite Enid Blyton titles) about Jack, Lucy-Ann, Philip and Dinah, who visit some remote islands in Scotland. It's possible that that's the book your partner remembers - unless there's also a "travelling far" passage in a Famous Five book!
It really was very exciting to go to bed in a train. It was queer undressing with the train swaying about, rushing through the night at sixty miles an hour.

It was nice to be in bed, listening to the 'tutta-tut-tah! tutta-tut-tah!' of the train wheels turning rapidly over the rails.

'Travelling far, travelling far, travelling far,' said the wheels to Lucy-Ann, as her eyes closed, and her mind swung towards sleep. 'Travelling far...'

In spite of all the excitement the four children were soon fast asleep and dreaming. What were they dreaming of? That was easy to guess. Blue-green water, clear as crystal, enchanting little islands, big white clouds flying across an enormous blue sky, and birds, birds, birds...travelling far, travelling far, travelling far.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very impressive Anita - I was just going to do a Famous Five massive search.
Unless it's in the Five books too? But I don't seem to recall it??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It's definitely The Sea of Adventure. I'm positive there is no such mention in any of the Famous Five books.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Cheers John, I'm not even going to look now then - thanks.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Hello and welcome, HelenC! It sounds like Anita has found the book your partner remembers — it's one of the most exciting and thrilling stories Enid Blyton ever wrote, in my opinion. The whole Adventure series is well worth reading (or re-reading)!

The Treasure Hunters was my and my sister's favourite when we were little! :D I'm glad you've enjoyed rediscovering it too. I still love Susan's ingenious idea that enables the children to continue looking for the treasure without breaking their promise to their grandparents — and the race to find it before Mr "Pots of Money" does!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
HelenC

Post by HelenC »

Anita, you are my saviour! My partner was sure it was a Famous Five book and thought it was Julian who commented on the sound of the train. I am so glad that you have been able to help with this and have now ordered a copy of the book. Hopefully it will arrive in time for his birthday on Thursday!

Thank you again to you and all other respondents to my query - very much appreciated.

Helen
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad the book is on its way to you, Helen, and I'm sure your partner will thoroughly enjoy reacquainting himself with it. The story, characters, atmosphere and setting are all wonderful. Enid Blyton at her best!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member