Faraway Tree Stories

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
McPerfect

Faraway Tree Stories

Post by McPerfect »

I absolutely loved Enid Blyton books as a child and my particular favourites were the Famous Five series and the Faraway Tree series. About 6 months ago I purchased a Faraway Tree collection that contains The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tree. However, I remember a Faraway Tree adventure that doesn't appear in any of these three volumes. It is where some people come down from the land above and take over the tree. I particularly remember a lady called Dame Slap-A-Lot. I managed to buy the 'rare' Up The Faraway Tree on eBay but was disappointed to find that it was mostly a picture book with only a little story. Could anyone shed some light on this adventure I remember, and what book from the Faraway Tree series it is from?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the Forum. Was it the Faraway Tree collection published by Dean that you bought? Unfortunately, in that collection Dean abridged the second book in the series (The Magic Faraway Tree) by lopping several chapters off the end. These included the chapters concerning the take-over of the Faraway Tree by Sir Stamp-a-Lot and Lady Yell-Around. I know it's a nuisance, but if you can get hold of a separate copy of The Magic Faraway Tree you'll find the chapters you're looking for (there should be 26 chapters altogether.) Beware of very modern paperback copies though, especially those published by Egmont. Textual changes have been made in those, eg. the children's names have been changed to Joe, Beth and Frannie.

Anita