Short story: Boy washing flower pots: "A job worth doing"

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Re: Short story: Boy washing flower pots: "A job worth doing"

Post by shadow »

I thought I remembered this being asked on the message board and came across this when I went back in time

Posted by Helen on May 19, 2011

Hi, 40-ish years ago my brothers and sister and I loved to read a book of short stories but I can't remember the title. It had a yellow cover and had 'Junket Through the Window' and another story about a child who was supposed to wash all the flower pots but only did a few so didn't get his payment (which was hidden in the last one). The stories all had morals. I would love to find it again.

Barney says: I believe you're looking for Tales at Bedtime, Helen, published by Collins. The story about the boy and the flower pots is 'Tom the Scout-Cub'

Could this be the answer?

I have a copy of this book and it certainly looks like this could be the one - there was also other things he should have done such as cleaning a shelf, shaking out some sacks. The illustrations in my copy are all black and white but it may have appeared in another, more colourful book.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
fivnten

Post by fivnten »

A-ha! This is certainly the story.

"Tom the Scout Cub"

I remember linking it with "bob a job" in some way.

I have obviously mis-remembered the illustrations, unless as you say it was published elsewhere. I wonder if one can find that out easily.

Thank you for your detective work. Definitely on the track!

Graham
:-)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote: My thought as well Fiona. Is she away or just sitting back watching us detecting with a grin on her face!?
Anita has been on a search for the Vale of Butterflies. I only hope the King of the Mountain hasn't imprisoned her. She will be back with us, hopefully, very soon.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Nigel. I thought maybe she was taking a holiday - back to the "Land of my Father". I suggests she steers clear of that strange Mountain!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

According to the cave, the only other place the story was printed was in 'Sunny Stories' magazine. Of course, it could be differing editions of 'Tales at Bedtime' could have had different illustrators or different colouring put on the illustrations.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On Oct 26, 2011 fivnten wrote:

I am trying to locate this story: It is about a boy who is asked to wash flower pots ...

The story sounds like "Tom the Scout-Cub" (Tales at Bedtime)
fivnten

Post by fivnten »

Thanks, folks, for all your help on this.

Graham
:-)