Searching for a short story

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Kariana

Searching for a short story

Post by Kariana »

Hello, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I'm searching for a short story, or more specifically the name of the book in which I can find this short story. It was from one of those collections of Enid Blyton's short stories but just can't seem to locate the right one.

The plotline was that a boy puts on his best suit and his silver pocket watch because someone (an Aunt I think) is coming to tea. His mother lets him go for a walk but warns him not to lose the watch or get dirty. He goes down to the sea front where he sees a little girl fall in the water. He jumps in and rescues her, but in the process ruins his suit and loses his watch. Horrified he returns home, but doesn't dare tell his mother as he's afraid she'll be cross about the suit and watch. He dries the suit but of course when he turns up to tea he looks a mess and mother is cross. Eventually the whole thing gets sorted when the girl's father comes to tell everyone what a hero he has been in rescuing his daughter.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can find this story? I'd be very grateful as I've been searching for weeks!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Searching for a short story

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The story you're looking for is 'Don't Tell Anyone', Kariana. Click on the link and you'll see a list of all the books which contain that story, the most recent being Snicker the Brownie and Other Stories (Award 1985):

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... ell+anyone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kariana

Post by Kariana »

Thank you! I have no idea how you can remember the names of so many of her short stories, but I'm glad to finally have the answer. I must have one of those books somewhere, because I know I own the one with this story in. "The Jolly Storybook" rings some bells so I shall have to hunt around and see where I put it, it's certainly not with my main collection, so I hope I haven't lost it when moving house.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good luck with hunting for the book!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

Nice story , now you folks have got me longing to read it myself . Have to hunt for a copy though ..