Does anyone recognise this book?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Christopher

Does anyone recognise this book?

Post by Christopher »

Can anyone help :?:

I remember reading this book back in the 1960's (although I think the book would have been late 40's or perhaps early 50's). It's almost certainly an Enid Blyton book as most of my story books once belonged to my sisters, who were both big Enid Blyton fans.

This is what I remember about the book..

It was a selection of short stories, with line drawing illustrations of the type which were tinted all one colour, blue or red. I recall that inside the back cover, there was a double page which was an illustration of an enchanted wood, through which you had to find the right path without being turned into stone or passing the witch..

I don't remember much about the actual stories, but two of the illustrations which are still fresh in my mind are, one of a teacher with a cane about to punish a naughty boy, and another of someone pouring chocolate into a mould.

This book has been haunting me for about 30 years, can anyone put me out of my misery please?

Many thanks
Chris
The Faraway Tree

the Enchanted Wood series???

Post by The Faraway Tree »

Hi Christopher... the illustrations you decribe can only make me think of the Enchanted Wood series (The Folk of the Faraway Tree, Up the Faraway Tree and the Enchanted Wood). Its about three kids who move into the country and chance upon an enchanted forest. There is a tree called the Faarway Tree on which live a variety of Blyton's characters--The angry Pixie, Silky, Moon FAce, Dame Washalot, Mr. Watzisname etc..The children, Jo, Bessie and FAnny become a vital part of the life on the Faraway Tree and the best part of that? being able to reach the many lands that arrive on a cloud at the topmost branch of the Tree!! There is one land known as The Land of Dame-Slap and theres a character of the same name who is a hoorible school teacher that only likes to punish and slap kids around.
These are among my favourite books among the others ....am a die-hard Blyton fan. Even did the Master's dissertation on her!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Masters degree

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm always interested to hear of people who study Blyton. :)

What was your subject and dissertation title?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Tony Summerfield

EB Story Book?

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hello Christopher,

There are actually very few Blyton books with games on the endpapers and most of these are annual sized books - you say nothing about the size of your book?

The closest I have got to your description is The Big Bedtime Book which was published in the early 50s. The colouring system matches your description and there is a game on the rear endpapers where Noddy and Big-Ears are trying to get though an enchanted wood. They do have to avoid a witch, but there is nothing about them being turned into stone.

My only other suggestion is that the book is not a Blyton book.

Best wishes
Tony
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Many thanks for your suggestions so far, but none of them ring any bells.

Tony, the book was "normal" hard back size from what I remember, but I could be wrong. Do you think you could email me a photo of a couple of the illustrations?

Best wishes
chris