Story about a duck

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
annie

Story about a duck

Post by annie »

I am trying to trace a short story that I had as a child and would now like to share with my own children.

It was about a pet duck, who was loved by the children of the house but not by the father of the house who was threatrening to get rid of him. One night however he won the father over when he quacked and alerted him to burglars.

The story appeared in a short story collection.

Is anyone able to identify the story and what collection it appeared in?

Many thanks.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Story about a duck

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I know a similar story about a duck, though the details are slightly different. In Tommy's White Duck, Daddy gives Tommy's duck away because it has grown so big and makes a lot of noise. The duck escapes and manages to waddle home, where its loud quacking alerts Tommy's mother to the fact that a runaway horse has got into the garden and is in danger of knocking over the baby's pram. I mention this just in case it's the story you're looking for, but Enid Blyton often recycled ideas so you may well be thinking of another story.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
annie

Post by annie »

Thank you very much - I will look out for this story.
It does sound similar - maybe I am confused about the robbers!
abdulsaburch

Post by abdulsaburch »

abdulsaburch, your post was neither relevant to the discussion, nor original, as you seem to have simply copied and pasted from this web page. I have therefore edited your post, but people can follow the link if they wish. Next time, please don't just copy and paste irrelevant web pages.

--Matthew
Last edited by Matthew Roberts on 28 Aug 2011, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Irrelevant; copied and pasted from a web page.
The Man of Power