Please Help!!

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
MoussakaChaos

Please Help!!

Post by MoussakaChaos »

I'm looking for a specific book. I remember it was a hardcover, gold colored, and the illustrations were in jewel-tone colors.
I remember that there was a story about a girl who dropped her doll out of a pram, and the doll's face broke, and a boy or man fixed it for her.
Then, I remember a story where there was a picture of a toy golliwog, along with other toys, doing something or other.
Then I remember a story where a woman brought her cat on a train in her hatbox or something like that.
Next, I remember a story where a boy went out to deliever some food to someone as a chore for his mother.
I remember a story that involved a saucepan.
I remember a story where a witch crashed while flying on her broomstick, and all the people that she was trying to scare helped her out.

I have a feeling it is called the Eleventh Holiday Book, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure it is even by Enid Bylton, but I have a feeling it must be. Please help me you guys, I used to have this book when I was little, and it was misplaced so long ago that I have no idea where it could possibly be. No one in my family can remember the title, so you guys are my last hope.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Please Help!!

Post by Ming »

The Cave shows the contents of The Eleventh Holiday Book - do any of the titles sound familiar?

Society Member
MoussakaChaos

Post by MoussakaChaos »

Thank you for replying!

A few of them sound mildly familiar, but not really. The Peculiar Cow and the Pimmy one sound most familiar.

I remember the illustrations the most. A lot of pixies in one of them. I remembered just a few moments ago that the golliwog was frowning a conforting a little girl in one story.
MoussakaChaos

Post by MoussakaChaos »

Does anyone know the name of the book? i stil, cant find it
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

There's a story in 'The Buttercup Storybook' about a saucepan, but none of the others seem to be there.

I have been looking through all my books that match your description: yellow cover, duel-coloured illustrations, etc, but can't find anything. Could you be mixing two different books up, or was it definitely one volume that contained all the stories you mention? 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
MoussakaChaos

Post by MoussakaChaos »

Hey, Im sorry I never got back to you guys, I had kind of given up =/

But now, Im really excited again. I looked at your suggestion, Robert, and the story called Jinky's Joke sounds incredibly familier. Do you think you could tell me what the other stories are about? Maybe some memories will spark.

Thank you so much for replying, Robert, maybe you could help me more. Im pretty sure it's only one book. I know theres a story in it with a sad little girl, and a toy golliwog is conforting her.
MoussakaChaos

What book are all of these stories in?

Post by MoussakaChaos »

Please help, Im so close to finding the title of the book. The book is most deffinately gold colored, and the illutrations are the same as the ones in the books where these stories appear on their own or with one other story.

The stories that I know that are in the book are:
Jinky's Joke
The goblin who stole sweets
Thirteen O clock
A spell for Puppy

There is also a story that involves a girl dropping her new doll from a pram, and she is upset, and an old man or woman fixes it for her and brings it to her house afterwards.
There are a few more stories in the book that I don't remember.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I have an annual-sized book called Goodnight Stories (Treasure Press, 1986) which might be the book you're looking for, MoussakaChaos. It's yellow with a picture on the cover of a boy in bed, reading. His sister is sitting on the bed and they are surrounded by toys and a cat. The coloured illustrations are by Suzy-Jane Tanner and the story titles are as follows:

Jinky's Joke, The Pantomime Cat, The Goblin Who Stole Sweets, A Spell for a Puppy, The Birds and the Bun, The Strange Doll, Mrs. Dilly's Duck, A Basket of Surprises, Do Pass it On, Visitors in the Night, Smack-Biff-Thud!, Thirteen O' Clock, The Adventurous Ball, When Mrs. Tumpy lost her head, The Little Musical Box, The Kickaway Shoes, Tit for Tat, The Dumpy Wizard's Party, The Sneezing Donkey, The Red-Spotted Handkerchief, The Toys Go to the Seaside, The Little Toy Stove, Sally Simple's Spectacles, The Ho-Ho Goblins, Poor Captain Puss!, The House in the Tree and Jinky the Jumping Frog.

The elements you describe feature in various stories.

Of course, there may have been several different compilations containing the same tales (I know of a later edition of Goodnight Stories with a blue cover) so it's hard to be certain which book you're thinking of, MoussakaChaos.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
MoussakaChaos

Post by MoussakaChaos »

Thank you so much. Those titles sound very familer. Do you know where I could see the cover of the yellow version of the book?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

There's a photo of it on ebay
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Lenoir wrote:There's a photo of it on ebay
I'm afraid this is the wrong book. The correct book was originally published by Hodders, but unfortunately neither it or its companion volume are pictured in the Cave as it is too large to fit on my scanner! :lol:
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Lenoir wrote:There's a photo of it on ebay
I'm afraid this is the wrong book. The correct book was originally published by Hodders, but unfortunately neither it or its companion volume are pictured in the Cave as it is too large to fit on my scanner! :lol:
I think it must be this one, also from ebay
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lenoir wrote:I think it must be this one, also from ebay
Thanks, Lenoir. Yes, that's the book I meant, though I don't know whether it's the one MoussakaChaos remembers.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
MoussakaChaos

Post by MoussakaChaos »

Yup! thats it! thanks you guys. It's so nice to see that after all these years