The Three Golliwogs - where can I buy a copy?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
julia.sadie

The Three Golliwogs - where can I buy a copy?

Post by julia.sadie »

Hi! Can anyone tell me where to get this book? This was my favorite of Enid Blyton's and I can't seem to find one nowadays. Any information will help. Thanks.

Also, I'm looking of a collection of stories by Blyton, but I can't remember the title. I remember one story (not the title, though, sorry!) which kind of goes like this: A child gets sick, so her mother gives her a glass of black currant (or blackberry, can't remember) juice to make her feel better. Her brother (I think) gets jealous, so he pretends to be sick to get some juice, too. He spots a glass on their table that looks like the juice and he drinks it. He wonders why it tastes so bad; it turns out, its a glass of water where someone has been rinsing their paintbrush while they were painting.

I'm pretty sure it's a Blyton book, so if anyone has information about this, and the Golliwog book, it would really help. Thanks!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Three Golliwogs

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Julia.sadie! Sadly, The Three Golliwogs is now out of print but second-hand copies are plentiful so you could try checking eBay or Abebooks.

I've read the story about the blackcurrant (or blackberry) drink and you're right that it's an Enid Blyton story, but unfortunately I can't remember which book it's in! I hope someone reading this will know.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Sadly, The Three Golliwogs is now out of print but second-hand copies are plentiful
Welcome, Julia. If you had been at this year's Enid Blyton Day you could have picked up a reprint, w/o dust-jacket, but with original script, for £95! :P
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Sadly, The Three Golliwogs is now out of print but second-hand copies are plentiful
Welcome, Julia. If you had been at this year's Enid Blyton Day you could have picked up a reprint, w/o dust-jacket, but with original script, for £95! :P

WOW!! :shock:

Now I realise how lucky I was getting my 1951 reprint of 'The Three Golliwogs' (without a dust jacket) for 'just' £28.00!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
tix

Re: The Three Golliwogs - where can I buy a copy?

Post by tix »

Moonraker wrote:

If you had been at this year's Enid Blyton Day you could have picked up a reprint, w/o dust-jacket, but with original script, for £95!

I accept that sellers can pursue as high a price as possible for their goods but it’s always mind-boggling to see the limits to which some are prepared to aspire. I mean to say - £95 for a jacketless reprint!!! I’m presuming that “w/o dust-jacket” meant “without” and not “with!” Can one seriously believe that the book would ever sell for such a price?

You never know though because there could be someone out in the backwoods who’s very rich and really, really wants it, but personally I’d be inclined to examine the auctions (not just eBay), or else hunt around in places like Hay-on-Wye for a copy. There are book-finding services as well that search all over the country for customers and, although they add something for themselves, I’d find it difficult to believe they’d come up with £95 for a version with no jacket.

In 2008 a copy with a piece missing from the dust wrapper went for a mere £12 but costs do rise. Even the reprints illustrated by Rene Cloke can command quite hefty sums but the original (English) editions would be the priciest.

I grabbed a 1954 copy complete with its wrapper in 2007 for about fourteen quid and then a year later located a Piccolo edition, which is not all that easy to find. That cost about a fiver, so it’s well worth shopping around.