Story about knitting needles called Purl and Plain

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
lucylocket

Story about knitting needles called Purl and Plain

Post by lucylocket »

As I seem to have stumbled into a very knowledgable community I wonder if I am allowed to pick your collective brains about a story I long to see again.

I am sure it was all about two knitting needles called Purl and Plain and their adventures. I have a hunch it might have been written by Joyce Lancaster Brisley, the Milly Molly Mandy author. But it is just possible that I read about them in Sunny Stories which was delivered to my house every week. Can anyone help?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You are quite right, Adventures of Purl and Plain was written by Joyce Lancaster Brisley. It was published in September 1941 by Harrap and is No. 39 in the Milly Molly Mandy Series. The series ran to over 60 books by a large number of authors and only a few titles were actually about Milly Molly Mandy, but the first three titles were and the rest of the series took on that name. I have about half of the books in my collection, but haven't added anything in recent years as the series is quite collectable and the books are no longer all that cheap!
lucylocket

the Adventures of Purl and Plain

Post by lucylocket »

Thank you so much. How fantastic to be this close to tracking them down after all these years. Does this mean I should search for the book under the title of Milly Molly Mandy, or the Adventures of Purl and Plain? Is there more than one story about them in No 39? Do you actually own number 39? I can hardly contain myself! :D