Mornington Crescent - The Blyton Variation

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
burlingtonbertram

Re: Mornington Crescent - The Blyton Variation

Post by burlingtonbertram »

pete9012S wrote:Got to LLANFIHANGEL-Y-PENNANT by a combination of guile and the use of 'Perton's Law' - sadly lapsed since 1948.
Reached the relative safety of KEPLEY and according to the future sub ordinance decree due to be passed (with gas) in 2037 here one must wait for 43 seconds (to facilitate toxic dispersal) before setting off in an easterly direction...
Oh well played, clever!

Before my move, I'll just say that I've had a letter from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Unfortunately I know nothing about Suffragan Bishops but I still don't think he should be doing that on Trinity Sunday.

So, back to my move. It's a frantic cycle to a certain shed, giving today's password, at:

OLD MILL HOUSE
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'd like to tell you that (having worked out that the password was ++++++) I entered the shed at the Old Mill House where I met up with a certain seven, but as it's a secret, I can't without breaking the Official Secret Seven Act (1952). Suffice it to say that, with their help, I proceeded to TIGGER'S BARN.
Last edited by Domino on 03 Sep 2019, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm sorry I've now looked this up - my use of 'haven't got a clue' was totally a coincidence. I now have a clue but am stiff pretty baffled so I'll just stay in Nodd(y) and let you get on with it :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Due to Fiona's post craftily composed using the 'Edgar Stick Mimeograph Coding System' I was able to arrive at TIGGER'S BARN in record time.

Using the old rules crafted by Sid the paperboy, may I invite my chums to join with me in imbibing a semi -illicit sarsaparilla before I make my way to DIMMY'S CLOSET?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

I was about to challenge Dimmy's Closet, Pete. I thought you'd put yourself "in Nidd". I wasn't thinking laterally enough; my apologies.

So, from Dimmy's Closet; let us visit our merry friend, Pip the Pixie, in:-

TOADSTOOL TOWN
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

This is like complete utter 'double Dutch' to me...to put it politely!!!

Enjoy your game, guys - certainly NOT for me.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I must admit I don't get this game either, and hadn't heard of the original. If a place has a station, can't you simply say, "From there I catch the train to Kirrin"? (It's obvious from people's goes so far that you can't do that, but I don't understand what you can and can't do).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol! To me, it seems you can say anything in answer to anything and its all okay...in which case, I don't see the point...? I'm obviously missing something! I thought it must be something extremely clever and deep and meaningful, but maybe its just a case of writing nonsense?

Sorry to make it sound disparaging...but I really can't make head or tail of any of the posts so far.

Is it just a joke...? :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think it's nonsense too, but they seem to be letting me play... :P From what I can gather, it's a long-running in-joke-laden game from a radio show I've never listened to, the whole point of which seems to be to avoid actually getting to the specified destination while inducing others to avoid getting there too, mainly by making up all kinds of bonkers rules as one goes along, none of which is required to make any sense whatsoever (in fact, the less sense it makes, the better)... Am I right? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:I must admit I don't get this game either, and hadn't heard of the original. If a place has a station, can't you simply say, "From there I catch the train to Kirrin"? (It's obvious from people's goes so far that you can't do that, but I don't understand what you can and can't do).
I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol! To me, it seems you can say anything in answer to anything and its all okay...in which case, I don't see the point...? I'm obviously missing something! I thought it must be something extremely clever and deep and meaningful, but maybe its just a case of writing nonsense?

Sorry to make it sound disparaging...but I really can't make head or tail of any of the posts so far.

Is it just a joke...? :?
Likewise Rob. the word 'codswobble' comes to mind. :? :wink:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

burlingtonbertram wrote: So, from Dimmy's Closet; let us visit our merry friend, Pip the Pixie, in:-

TOADSTOOL TOWN
I'm going to challenge this. I've read the complete volume of The Adventures of Pip multiple times and there's nothing to suggest he lives in a toadstool, let alone in Toadstool Town. He does seem to have some contact with magic mushrooms, but only when making a fairy ring... :shock:

I have a feeling it might be Big-Ears you're actually wanting to visit. But as I'm probably now in Nodd(y) for suggesting that, I'd better fly straight back to Australia and play Mornington Peninsula instead. :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
burlingtonbertram

Dear All

For the avoidance of mental anguish, let me fill in a bit of background.

Mornington Crescent has been a feature on Radio Four panel show “I’m sorry I haven’t a clue” since 1978, although it may have earlier origins.

Humphrey Lyttelton was the original host but the show is now hosted by Jack Dee.

Wikipedia explains it pithily:- The objective of Mornington Crescent is to give the appearance of a game of skill and strategy, with complex and long-winded rules and strategies, to parody games in which similarly circuitous systems have evolved. The rules are fictional, and its appeal to audiences lies in the ability of players to create an entertaining illusion of competitive gameplay.

Apparently, in the 80’s, it was popular as a play by post game.

Over the years a lot of faux-terminology and so-called variations have taken on a life of their own – for example “in Nidd” (a Yorkshire variation; the river Nidd being a tributary of the River Ouse).

Given the limited number of railway stations in Blyton, it seemed wise to extend the game to any location from the books. Kirrin, the final destination, being in place of Mornington Crescent.

Well observed BTW Anita, but to just declare KIRRIN would be rather ungentlemanly, without making some effort to get there!

Apologies for any distress.
Courtenay wrote:
burlingtonbertram wrote: So, from Dimmy's Closet; let us visit our merry friend, Pip the Pixie, in:-

TOADSTOOL TOWN
I'm going to challenge this. I've read the complete volume of The Adventures of Pip multiple times and there's nothing to suggest he lives in a toadstool, let alone in Toadstool Town. He does seem to have some contact with magic mushrooms, but only when making a fairy ring... :shock:

I have a feeling it might be Big-Ears you're actually wanting to visit. But as I'm probably now in Nodd(y) for suggesting that, I'd better fly straight back to Australia and play Mornington Peninsula instead. :shock:
Courtenay; well challenged. I have lost confidence in my memory regarding Toadstool Town so I am prepared to sit in the sin-bin for the rest of the day.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

No distress BB - really enjoying the game based around the radio show.
It's great to share a brief moment of fun and levity with like minded minds.

Now, can you tell me how to get to SESAME STREET?

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Afraid we are back to DIMMY'S CLOSET after my major blunder. Think I mixed up my pixies with one in a comic.

Anyway, back to the sin-bin for the evening. Nippy in there!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Then I shall trudge on alone, using my trusty cough candy and barley sugars for sustenance,
I spy the Cookie Monster - surely now I can safely get to SESAME STREET by dusk..

Society Member