What Blyton sequels should have been written?

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

What Blyton sequels should have been written?

Post by MJE »

In another thread, the game in progress is to suggest a possible plot summary for a title suggested by the previous poster, and then to invent a new title for the next poster to devise a plot around.
     Recently Poppy suggested "Five Return to Smuggler's Top", and that so quickly suggested an obvious plot for this to me that I was able to post it within minutes of reading the title.
     And I just had the thought that that book should surely have been written, it's such a natural follow-up to the original story.

So my question, which I'd like to hear people's thoughts on, is this:
     What Enid Blyton book (within a series, or a single book by itself) that doesn't have a direct sequel *should* have one, is crying out for one? If the book is already within a series, I don't just mean a further book within the series: I mean a book dealing further with the setting/characters/events which are particular to a specific book in the series, continuing it in some way.
     I will post here again my summary for "Five Return to Smuggler's Top" as an example, in case anyone reading this missed the other thread:

----------------------------------------
Five Return to Smuggler's Top

A year has gone by since the Five last visited Smuggler's Top and had their dangerous adventure tangled up with the smugglers, amid the gloomy mists and fathomless catacombs of Castaway Hill. Now their old friend Sooty Lenoir has invited them back for another holiday, and they are eager to see what things are like now in Castaway.
     There is a pang of regret that the old mystique around the smugglers' activities now seems to have faded into old legends, with all the ringleaders still safely in prison. And now the plan by Uncle Quentin and Mr. Lenoir to drain the marshes to turn them into agricultural land has just begun to be put into action - and the children think on the one hand that this is a good development; but they find they have mixed feelings about it - there *was* something incredibly exciting about it, despite its treacherous dangers. And so they also feel some regret that the mysterious atmosphere of the marshes is about to become a thing of the past.
     But is it? Hardly has the work begun but things start going wrong with the project - crucial people seem to disappear without any sign, and machinery is damaged, and some sort of intrigue seems to be going on that the children can't quite get any clue about.
     Could it be that there are people who do not want the marshes drained, who want things to stay as they are? Who could it be - could one or more of the old smugglers have escaped from prison? No - they are all still safely locked up, so surely can't be involved. Or can they be, somehow?
     The children, with Timmy's help at crucial points, are determined to find out the truth behind this - and soon they are so deeply involved, and so much hangs on this, that they must continue fighting to uncover the truth, despite the terrible danger they are in - there is no possibility of retreat now, even though they almost feel like pulling out.
----------------------------------------

The moment I read Poppy's suggestion of "Five Return to Smuggler's Top" (thanks for the idea, Poppy), this plot immediately flooded into my mind, and I knew this was something Enid Blyton (or maybe someone else) *should* have written, even though they haven't done so. This is the sort of sequel I have in mind for this game. I just thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss here.

Please suggest any titles, or, if you can't think of an exact title, then at least mention an existing book you'd like to see a sequel to. And, especially, please add a few sentences explaining why you think a sequel would be good, and what might happen in it. In other words, explain or elaborate on your own title, unlike the other thread, where people supply a plot for the *previous* person's title. But if you have additional thoughts on a sequel proposed by someone else, by all means feel free to add them.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: What Blyton sequels should have been written?

Post by Poppy »

MJE wrote: (thanks for the idea, Poppy)
No problem MJE! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Poppy, do you have any other books in mind which are crying out for a sequel, a bit like the one you already suggested?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Hmm.. tho I'm not exactly Poppy, :) I think this could have happened:

The Sea Of Adventure Again
You can call me Sunskriti!
MJE

Post by MJE »

Darrell71 wrote:Hmm.. tho I'm not exactly Poppy, :)
     That's okay, Darrell: it's open to anyone, but I just addressed Poppy in particular because she commented showing interest in what I'd just posted, and I therefore thought she might be interested to say a little more, or maybe suggest a possible sequel for this thread.
Darrell71 wrote:I think this could have happened:

Well, I suppose we could suggest "[Any title] Again" as a new story - but why did you think of this one in particular, Darrell? Did you have a particular story in mind that could have been set in the Sea of Adventure, which would have made a good follow-up to the story?
     I think this thread might get a little more life if people suggested, at least briefly, the kind of follow-up plot they had in mind, rather than simply to suggest a title without further comment.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Michael,it is interesting that you have posed this question about a Famous Five Sequel as I have just been musing over the note from Enid Blyton on the back of the original version of Five Go Down To The Sea....

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/auth ... 885238.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Dear Boys and Girls,
So many of you asked for a story about the Famous Five called 'Five Go Down To The Sea' that I have written one!
Here it is the 12th of the series.
How many more do you want?
Good luck to you all from

Enid Blyton

My suggestion for a sequel would be 'Five Go Back Down To The Sea' (surely room for another Cornish adventure my lover!)(Cornish Expression!)

First though,did Enid ask children back then to nominate a title for her next Five book,or did people send suggestions in without invitation?
She seems to be gauging the response of her readers towards more Five novels by asking if they wanted more.
Was the 12th book intended as a finale for the Five?? No real indication of this from the book's last few lines:

‘Mr Penruthlan now, behave yourself!’ said his amused wife. ‘Why don’t you say straight out that you’re giving Clopper to Julian and Dick, instead of spluttering away like that?’
‘Gosh, are you really?’ said Dick, thrilled. ‘Thanks most awfully!’
‘Well, you got me what I wanted, so it’s only right and fair I should give you what you wanted,’ said the farmer, taking another plate of ham. ‘You’ll do well with Clopper, you and your brother. You can give us a show one day before you leave for home. Haw-haw - Clopper’s a queer one, see him looking at us now!’
‘He winked!’ said George, in an astonished voice, and Timmy came out from under the table to stare at Clopper with the others. ‘I saw him wink!’
Well, it wouldn’t be surprising if he did wink. He’s really had a most exciting time!

Anyway,back to Michaels suggestion.

Five Go Back Down To The Sea

The Famous Five have been invited to stay with Mr & Mrs Penruthlan again.
They eagerly accept remembering the super tureen of peas and other farmhouse delights they enjoyed there.
This time they enter Mr Penruthlan's home as a friend,and although they have promised Anne an 'adventure free holiday' Mr Penruthlan wants the Five's advice.

Local fisherman have reported seeing mysterious shapes under the clear waters of the Cornish sea around the local coastline.
Some even claim to have seen lights under the water moving around slowly and systematically as if searching for something.
Not quite sure how they can help,the Five nonetheless agree to try to find out more about these mysterious events and start by quizzing Yan's granddad who has some startling theories of his own about these strange occurrences.

Although Dick is somewhat hampered on this adventure,having broken his arm following a rather nasty fall from a horse,it is his observations whilst laid up watching the coastline from the old Wreckers tower that give the Five the breakthrough they need!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

MJE wrote:
Darrell71 wrote:I think this could have happened:

Well, I suppose we could suggest "[Any title] Again" as a new story - but why did you think of this one in particular, Darrell? Did you have a particular story in mind that could have been set in the Sea of Adventure, which would have made a good follow-up to the story?
     I think this thread might get a little more life if people suggested, at least briefly, the kind of follow-up plot they had in mind, rather than simply to suggest a title without further comment.
OK, here's the plot I had in mind:

When Jack, Lucy-Ann, Dinah and Philip fall ill due to flu, they are advised to take a rest by the doctor, and to then go on a hol. They remember their adventure in the Northern Isles, and decide to go there again. While there, they discover people are doing the gun business again! After snooping around, little Lucy-Ann is taken captive! They find out that the son of one of the arrested gun guy from their last adventure here is continuing the crime. They have a hilarious but terrifying time while trying to rescue Lucy-Ann, but manage it in the end. Then, what happens, as their boat crashes in a storm, and they are marooned on the island, trying to get a message to the police...
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Hi MJE,
Well there are plenty of title's you could write a story about:

The Mystery of Scarlet Hill
Five Find Adventure at Sea
The Mine of Adventure
Secret Seven Stumped!
The Secret Cellar

I think that's enough to be getting on with. Do you mean just Blyton related? I could give you some non-Blyton ones but the only thing is when I think of a title I usually waste no time in writing the story to it! It might be best if I just give you Blyton related and then I won't be tempted! :D

Just say when you want some more!

Thanks, Poppy.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

She should of done 3rd and 6th form at St.Clare's.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

But hasn't Pamela Cox already written those?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Yes, but I think MJE has proved he could do a better job! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

But I mean Enid Blyton should of written them
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Sorry Abi, I see what you mean.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Yes, indeed EB should've written 3rd and 6th form at ST. C
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

7upromana01 wrote:But I mean Enid Blyton should of written them
Oh yes- she should have!

I wish she had...
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member