The Mega Writing Competition

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
iluveb
Favourite book/series: St.Clare's,Malory Towers
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Sally Hope,Hilary Wentworth,

Re: The Mega Writing Competition

Post by iluveb »

Its all right ...I was getting a beauty sleep....
I'll post my own essay on thursday.L remember that...You all keep responding like now.... :P

THANKS...You'll can chat on this forum but please do not cover it with chat messages...friendly chat is OK.
THE MOST LOYAL FRIEND OF A PERSON IS A BOOK
-Ernest Hemmingway
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

iluveb wrote:friendly chat is OK.
Thanks Miss! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

iluveb wrote:friendly chat is OK.
Is there any other sort on these lovely forums?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The comments people have made do at least relate to the topic. Most threads attract a bit of banter. :)

Anyway, I'll play ball and write about one of my favourite Enid Blyton books (I've got several favourites but I'm picking one which I've loved since early childhood):

I received The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies for my fifth birthday. I had already read short story collections by Blyton, but this was different. At the end of the first chapter I found, to my surprise, that the story hadn't finished! It carried on over the page... and right to the end of the book! The idea of a "chapter book" was new to me and I was overjoyed as I entered a magical world in which three mischievous brownies were banished from Fairyland after playing a trick which led to the disappearance of Princess Peronel. Never must they return unless they could find the princess… and their own "goodness". Well, the latter sounded impossible and it was with apprehension as well as intrigue that I followed their enchanting adventures, meeting mermaids, giants, goblins, witches and the peculiar Clever People with bald heads who insisted on "Talking in rhyme/All the time". I even encountered the Saucepan Man, who would become so dear to me in the Faraway Tree books. The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies is by turns alarming, thrilling and heartwarming. It was Enid Blyton's first full-length novel and will always have a special place in my heart.

Fatty, talking about The Mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage, wrote:Interesting read, Pete. I read the same Red Dragon edition too, for the first time, in 1978 or thereabouts.
I read the same Dragon edition for the first time in 1979.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Well done, on your competition entry, Anita. I always think that the first book a person reads always remains as a 'special' one and is always a favourite.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It was Enid Blyton's first full-length novel and will always have a special place in my heart.

Yes,I feel exactly the same way about that book-our teacher used to read it to us in class when I was very young.
I begged my mum to buy me my own copy-but to be honest at that time I dont think I could even read-I just used to pore over the pictures,waiting impatiently till the next time it was read to us in class-think that would have been about 1972/3.

Whats spooky about Anitas post is that before I logged on I was just reading this article from April 2000's Green Hedges magazine- Synchronicity! :shock:

Larger size

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac27 ... master.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Must have been telepathy, Pete! :lol: Funnily enough, I'm planning to write a more in-depth article on The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies (and The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies) for the Journal in the near future. It's interesting that your teacher read that book to you at school. We had the opening chapters of The Enchanted Wood read to us at school when I was five but the teacher never finished the story, so I was over the moon to get my own copy a year or two later.

Society Member
Trevor
Favourite book/series: The Mystery Series (The Five Find-Outers And Dog)
Favourite character: Fatty (Frederick Algernon Trotteville)

Post by Trevor »

I just saw this post and read through all the posts. Sounds like a great idea "iluveb"! I'll try and put together one and post it soon. I might not have time later before the deadline because of dratted school home-work.
Trevor (A reader of Enid Blyton).

If I fail to remember a thread or don't reply for a couple of days, don't hesitate to send a PM (Personal Message) to me.
Trevor
Favourite book/series: The Mystery Series (The Five Find-Outers And Dog)
Favourite character: Fatty (Frederick Algernon Trotteville)

Post by Trevor »

Here it is:

The book I am writing about is called; “The Mystery Of The Strange Bundle”. It is one of my most favoured Enid Blyton books in the series. The way Fatty play’s his ventriloquist tricks on Goon in the book from in the restaurant to when Fatty & Mr Goon search the house. The old man groaning about his aunty, the dog barking and much more all had me in fits of laughter!

Also the time when Fatty disguises himself as a tramp(?) and drops the sack of stones into the water. Soon after Mr Goon comes along and pulls out the dolls clothes! Not knowing they were actual clues to the mystery and thinking they were a trick played on him, he stuffs the clues down Fatty’s throat!

I remember the time I first read the book after borrowing it from a relative. After that, nothing could hold me back from reading the rest and buying the books for myself.

I know that some people don’t like this book particularly because the Five Find-Outer’s themselves do not really solve the mystery as they are stumped and Inspector Jenks has to do some explaining and so forth, but I really don’t care. I think it’s a really good book, worthy of praise. And also of the ventriloquism being a unbelievable, but again, it's still a positively brilliant masterpiece.

Sorry it's a bit rushed.
Trevor (A reader of Enid Blyton).

If I fail to remember a thread or don't reply for a couple of days, don't hesitate to send a PM (Personal Message) to me.
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Given the deadline I decided that I had other things to do with my time but I also realised that I can cheat! Here's one I made earlier.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... k+of+Jesus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fatty wrote: the opening post seemed a little too glib. "By next fortnight", "just for fun", "50-200 words"... hmm. *thoughtful look*
Seeing as Srishti wrote this on the message Board on the home page:
Can you tell me about Enid's family life? I need it for a school project on My Favourite Author which is Enid Blyton.
You might well be correct!
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Trevor wrote:
I remember the time I first read the book after borrowing it from a relative. After that, nothing could hold me back from reading the rest and buying the books for myself.
Nice essay Trev-I felt just like you after reading Five on a Treasure Island...
Moonraker wrote: Seeing as Srishti wrote this on the message Board on the home page:
Can you tell me about Enid's family life? I need it for a school project on My Favourite Author which is Enid Blyton.
Hssst!....You mean to say weve been duped!...And we're all normally so savvy!
Sorry,gotta stop chit chattin,here comes Miss!.....

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Full marks to Fatty for sussing out that there may well be a school project involved! :D
Society Member
iluveb
Favourite book/series: St.Clare's,Malory Towers
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Sally Hope,Hilary Wentworth,

Post by iluveb »

I can't understand what you guys are talking about...JUST FOR FUN means there will be no awrds...And what exactly do mean by the fact that I posted something about my school project...iposted that because I want good marks for my project...Do you'll mean to say that i am using your essays for my school project...YOU"RE WRONG..
:D :)
tHanKs fOR yoUR good ResponSE....yoUve BEEn REAl NIce
THE MOST LOYAL FRIEND OF A PERSON IS A BOOK
-Ernest Hemmingway
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

:lol: I think Iluveb was just keen to start a new game/competition! There are already plenty of book reviews and other information on this site that a lazy person might be tempted to pinch for a school project, but no doubt their teacher would notice that the work wasn't written in their usual style and would question them and investigate further if necessary. When I was teaching English, a 14-year-old once handed in a project on William Shakespeare which wasn't really what I had asked for and was written in a style quite unlike their own. I knew they must have copied it from somewhere and, from the length of the piece, wondered whether it might have been taken from a Ladybird book. A trip to the library confirmed that that was indeed the case. They had copied out the whole book, word for word, adding nothing of their own at all. :roll:

Writing a project or a review is an opportunity to research, discover, learn and express your views. Done properly, it is fun as well as hard work as you uncover things you didn't know before, perhaps come to see things in a different light, organise your material to suit what you want to say and strive to find exactly the right words to put across your thoughts and opinions. What a waste to copy someone else!
iluveb wrote:tHanKs fOR yoUR good ResponSE....yoUve BEEn REAl NIce
Why the mixture of small and capital letters?

Society Member