Five Face Up to a Challenge - new FF story

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: Five Face Up to a Challenge - new FF story

Post by Dick Kirrin »

"But it still is a home from home for all of us," Anne quickly assured him.
"Come on, give me a hand with carrying all out stuff down," said Dick to George, Jo and Julian. He felt that Tinker might want a few private moments.
The others took the cue and while Tinker looked round his lighthouse which was so precious to him, the pile of stuff piled up higher and higher outside the door.
When he came down, he only had to carry Mischief and lock the big heavy door which he closed with a bang.
"Time to go," he said. "We'll be back soon, I hope."
"We can't take all things and the lot of us in one ride," said George, "so let me and maybe Anne take most of our bags, unload then at the pier and then I'll come back for the rest of you."
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Julian popped into the small and dark shop that smelled nicely of tobaccos of many different flavours. He quickly ordered some of Jeremiah's favourite, paid and left in a trice. Even though he didn't want to show it, he was curious about the boat, too.
The others had walked out of the town and as there were some rocks right in the warm sunshine, they decided to wait for Julian, who came walking towards them at a quick pace.
"You needn't have waited for me," called the boy.
"Our pleasure," smiled George, who had spotted Julian running and who knew exactly why he was in a hurry.
Together, they all walked the remainder of the way to the boatyard, where they were disappointed not to see their boat.
Jake greeted them with a big smile. "Now where could she be?" he said walking towards one of the dock.
"We've already started work, see? Towed her in here and put her out of the water. Now some of our workers are stripping off the old paint and the rust from the hull, whereas Pete is already busy painting the uppers. Jeremiah will be ver busy soon, too. The cloth we ordered for the sails will arrive this afternoon and he's our best sailmaker."
"You had to order extra cloth? Wasn't there enough in your stores?" asked Tinker.
"Mr Perton insisted it to be a perfect match with the colour of the hull and we didn't have that kind of green ready, or rather not enough of it. Here is a sample bit." Jake handed Anne a towel-sized rag.
"That's very heavy," said Anne, passing it on to Dick.
"Yes," laughed Jake. "We had opt for heavy-duty stuff as yours is a fully seaworthy boat, not one that goes along the coast."
"Please explain," asked Jo.
"Look, boats like mine are fine crafts which can go out to sea and are safe in a storm, but they would not be fit to cross the channel or the Irish Sea. Too small to face the open seas," Jake patiently said.
As they were talking, Mr Perton had entered the building, carrying an expensive-looking camera.
"Hello children. Would you like some pictures of you and the boat as a starter for your book?" he asked
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

George beamed with pleasure and the others grinned at her and agreed to go and pose near Mr Perton's gift.
After he had taken a couple of shots with the boat in the background he said, "Well, what do you think so far?"
They turned and took another good look at the boat. "I thought we'd decided on two tones of blue for the hull, darker below and lighter higher up, but that piece of cloth you gave Anne is more green than blue." said Dick. "I don't quite understand."
"Well, you actually hadn't said what colour sails you wanted so I thought you wouldn't mind if I had a small say in the choice." Mr Perton spoke apologetically.
"But why this green when we chose pale blue?" queried Julian.
Mr Perton looked at the piece of material Anne was still holding. "That is a very bluey sort of green " he said "and it will blend perfectly with the same bluey green you chose for the paintwork."
Julian and Dick looked at each other and then turned to watch the work which was going on as they stood there.
After a few minutes, Julian went over to Jake. "Is that a usual sail colour?" he asked in a low voice. "I don't want to make a fuss, as Mr Perton has been so generous, but I just thought the sails would be white."
Jake smiled rather uncertainly. "I think Mr Perton isn't too good at telling one colour from another." he said, "but if you want, I'll try to persuade him that white or cream would be better."
"Oh dear, don't tell me he's colour-blind!" said Julian. "How is that going to affect everything else we've chosen?"
"I shouldn't worry," said Jake. "You marked everything in the catalogues didn't you? He'll go by what you noted, I'm sure."
"I hope so." replied Julian. "Well, we'll just hope for the best, but keep an eye on him for us, won't you!"
"You bet I will." said Jake. "I'll miss you all very much, but I hope young Tinker might come to see me sometimes." and he smiled at Tinker who was standing with the others, Mischief perched on his shoulder as usual.
Seeing them looking at him Tinker walked over. "It's ever so exciting isn't it?" he said. "I've got such a lot to tell my father and Jenny when we get home."
Glad that Tinker wasn't feeling too sad at the end of their holiday, the others wandered round for a while and then they went into the shed where Jake's father was busy in his office corner. He smiled as the children approached. "Come to sample some more of my wife's snacks have you?" he asked them. "She'll be here in a moment, complete with a very heavy tray I think."
"Oh that is kind." said Anne. "I was wondering what we were going to do for lunch as we've packed everything away and George was in such a hurry to get here, I didn't have time to buy any snacks!"
George was just about to make an indignant retort when she saw Anne grinning broadly at her and knew her cousin was having one of her little digs at her.
They settled themselves down as Jake's mother entered. "Oh good, you're all here." she said as she placed the tray on her husband's desk. "Help yourselves please." she invited them.
They did as she asked and soon there was very little left on the tray.
"Now Jake," said his father, "I have a little job for you. I want you to take your friends out for a short run in that boat we have just refurbished for renting out this summer. Just test it to make sure everything's as it should be."
With a whoop of delight George jumped up and the others weren't slow in following. Soon they were out on the water, enjoying the feel of the wind in their hair as they sailed out of the harbour mouth and into the bay.
An hour later a windswept group of children climbed up the steps onto the quayside, where Timmy and Mischief immediately began to run around madly. Tinker called Mischief who jumped into his arms but Timmy was enjoying the exercise after having to sit still on the boat for so long.
"Catch him George," said Julian. We must go and say goodbye to everyone and then walk back to Demon's Rock. Timmy can have a good run then."
The children said their goodbyes and sadly left the boatyard where they had had so much fun. Walking back along the coast road they talked over the day. "I do hope Mr Perton won't make any more mistakes about the colours." said Dick. "I was quite surprised to see that sail material."
"Never mind, it'll be highly unusual, whatever colour it ends up." said Julian with a laugh. "Jake's promised me he'll keep an eye on things and he knows what we chose. Don't worry."
"I'm glad to hear it!" said George who was walking very quickly as Timmy was pulling on his lead. "Good gracious Tim, slow down!" she said. "Don't you realise you're going to have a really good run when we cycle to Tinker's?"
Julian looked at his watch. "I think we've just time for a drink at the café before the taxi arrives." he said. "I'd like to go and say goodbye there as the owner has been very good to us."
"Is the taxi going to Mr Boogle's place?" asked Jo.
"Yes" replied Tinker. "We'll put all the luggage into it and then I'll get in and if there's room you and Anne can get in too."
"There had better be room!" said Anne smiling at the boy as he grinned at them. "I refuse to run beside Timmy all the way to your place and I'm sure Jo doesn't want to either!"
Tinker laughed. Joking and teasing they arrived at the door of the little café and trooped in for a last drink in what had become almost another home from home.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Julian asked for tea and hot chocolate and for a selection of cakes and buns.
"Wise lad," said the old man. "Everybody can take whatever he or she likes."
"Yes, and as we're leaving today, I thought it nice for everyone to get another taste of personal favourites," Julian replied.
"Oh, holidays are over, aren't they?" said the landlord. "Hope you've had a nice time here, even though it was sometimes rather dangerous."
"Oh yes, we don't mind a bit of danger," smiled Julian.
"Well, better you than me," laughed the old man. "I'm a bit to old to chase dangerous villains."
"But you are not to old to take these plates to the children's table, dear," said his wife who had just appeared from the kitchen. "I could attend to the hot drinks then."
"Oh Sally my dear, you're so right. I'd be chatting the day away with this young gentleman here instead of performing my services as a landlord. My goodness, what might the children think!"
Julian smiled at the fondness the two old people showed in their bantering and quietly returned to their table.
Some minutes later, the landlord brought a tray of cakes, muffins, buns and scones and a big plate of sandwiches, too.
"As you are leaving, you'll need a good meal," he smiled. "That's what my good lady says and I'm sure you'll agree."
"Of course," laughed Dick.
"Well then, here you are," said the old man. "I'll return with the drinks in a minute."
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Tinker looked at the selection of cakes and sighed,"I hope Jenny isn't expecting us to be hungry as soon as we get home, I can't resist these!"
Well if you like to cycle back, I'll change places with you." said Dick. "I'm sure I shall be ready for one of Jenny's meals even if I don't have any exercise between now and then!"
The others laughed as Tinker screwed up his nose at Dick and took a bite out of a cream bun. They laughed still more as some of the cream squirted out of the side of the bun and shot onto the floor. Before Tinker could see where it had gone, Timmy licked it up and then looked expectantly up at Tinker as if to say "that was nice, is there any more?"
The children enjoyed their last meal in the café but at last Julian said, "Come on, it's time we were going. The taxi will be here in a few minutes."
The all said 'goodbye' to the kindly couple who had catered so well for them and went along to old Jeremiah's shed. Julian and Dick started to move the luggage which they had put there earlier and then they wheeled out the three bikes. After carefully checking the tyres and brakes they stood waiting for the taxi with the others. Julian popped into the house and left the tobacco he had bought on the kitchen table with a note saying 'thank you' beside it.
It wasn't long before Tinker spotted the taxi coming along the road and running out he waved to the driver who screeched to a halt as he recognised Tinker. It didn't take long to load everything into the taxi, then Tinker and the two girls jumped in. The three cyclists waved them off and then started their ride down the pleasant country roads back to Tinker's home. Timmy enjoyed the run as he kept pace with George and it didn't seem long before they were all sweeping up the drive to the house where the taxi had deposited the others and all the luggage. Jenny was standing on the steps looking at the heap of things as Tinker hopped around her talking nineteen to the dozen.
"Never mind all your chatter," she said at last, "Save your breath for carrying this lot inside!"
With everyone helping it wasn't long before the drive was clear again and the rugs and spare bedding they had borrowed from Jenny were in the spare rooms where the children would sleep that night. What was left was put in one of the rooms near the front door, ready to be packed carefully onto the bikes in the morning.
"Well, now, are you wanting something to eat straight away, or shall we wait for the Professor to arrive and have a meal altogether?" Jenny asked when everyone had finished moving the things.
"A drink would be nice after our cycle ride." said Julian, "but I think we should wait for Tinker's father before eating. Are you expecting him very soon?"
"Well, I'm never sure when he'll turn up," Jenny said with a little laugh, "but he did say he would be home by early evening so I told him a meal would be waiting. He would insist on going to see an old friend today after getting back late last night."
"Let's hope he's feeling hungry then!" said Tinker.
"I don't think scientists ever feel hungry," said George ruefully, remembering the countless times her own father had to be called to a meal and often forgot one altogether.
"Shall we take the bikes round to the shed at the back?" asked Dick. "I don't want to have to wipe down a dripping bike in the morning if it rains overnight!"
"Yes, but them with the ones you left here," said Jenny. "They should be quite dry there."
Last edited by Daisy on 06 Aug 2012, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Saying that, Jenny reached for a key and handed it to Dick. "Mind you, it's the last one I have, and don't lose it. You others how does some home-made lemonade sound?"
"Super. Thanks, Jenny," beamed Tinker.
"All right, we'll be in the living room," said Jenny to Dick who was about to leave. Put your macs and blazers on the rack there, I've made a nice fire. The last few nights were a littly chilly over here."
Jo went to help Dick with the bikes. They wheeled them round the building into the old wooden shed and Dick locked the door afterwards. "Where have the other keys gone, I wonder?" said Jo who couldn't understand the fuss Jenny had made about the key.
"Well, I guess the Professor had them and afterwards they were nowhere to be found," grinned Dick.
Jo giggled and they walked back to the others who were enjoying the warm fire and the delicious lemonade.
Dick and Jo helped themselves. "I say, this is a rather weary company," said Julian in mock gruff.
"Oh yes, what might the Professor think?" replied George likewise mockingly.
"Why don't you ask him yourself?" laughed Tinker. "If my ears are not betraying me, I've just heard our car coming up the drive."
"You to be mistaken about cars, that's impossible!" said Dick.
And Tinker was not mistaken of course. Some five minutes later, Professor Hayling walked into the living room, took a glass from the tray and filled it with lemonade from the jug Jenny had put on the table. He didn't seem to notice the children.
When he set the glass down again, he finally saw Tinker. "Hello son. I thought you were off with the Kirrins?"
"Well, as you can see, we are all here," replied Tinker. "I invited them to stay here for the night as it would be rather a long way to Kirrin to do it in one day."
"Oh yes, oh yes. Welcome to our home, children."
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

"Thank you sir," said Julian as he stood up to shake hands with Tinker's father. "I hope your work with my uncle has been successful."
The professor nodded absentmindedly. "I hope so young man, I hope so. There have been many setbacks though. You might be surprised to learn that the police have had to watch that our work was kept safe. Such a distraction. We found it hard to concentrate at times."
The children listened to this in surprise. He seemed quite unaware that they had had a hand in helping the police to run the criminals to earth. As if to prove that this was the case, he continued, "I hope you have had an enjoyable holiday at the lighthouse. A nice quiet little place, Demon's Rock. Nothing ever seems to happen there does it!"
Tinker quickly replied "Yes, thanks Dad, We enjoyed it very much. We spent quite a lot of time at the boatyard and had some fun sailing with Jake."
Tinker glanced at his friends and gently shook his head. Realising that Tinker was telling them not to say any more about their great adventure, Julian said "It's good of Jenny to put us up for the night, but I think she was glad of the peace and quiet while Tinker was with us," he added with a teasing look at Tinker.
Tinker grinned. "Yes, I think she's given the house a good spring clean while I've been away." he said.
Just then Jenny popped her head round the door and said, "Dinner is ready for you all. Would you care to come into the dining room now?"
Very soon everyone was gathered round the table where Jenny had placed bowls of soup at every place. A couple of plates of bread rolls thickly spread with butter sat invitingly in the middle. "Please help yourselves while the soup's hot." said Jenny. "I must get back to the kitchen to get the next course ready for you."
"This is lovely, thank you Jenny," said Anne as she picked up her spoon. "Please let me know if I can help at all."
Jenny laughed. "I expect you could do with a rest from cooking." she said. "I guess you did most of it while you were away!"
Anne smiled and the others laughed rather self-consciously. For a while all was quiet while they did justice to the delicious soup and rolls.
After Jenny had served them with roast chicken and potatoes and a lovely variety of vegetables she brought out a huge bowl of fresh fruit salad and two jugs of cream.
Dick leaned back in his chair and said "Oh my goodness, I hope I can find some room for that. It looks gorgeous!"
"Help me to carry out some of these dirty dishes then, " said Jenny. "That'll help to shake down what you've eaten and make some more room!"
Dick did as she asked and came back grinning. "Timmy's got a lovely dish of dinner in the kitchen" he said to George. "By the time he's finished it, he won't be able to walk far!"
"Good thing he doesn't have to then," said George with a pleased smile. "Jenny always looks after him well, doesn't she."
Tinker's father sat eating his meal, a far away look in his eyes. Tinker, glancing at him said "Are you thinking about your next project already Father?"
"Eh? What?" the professor dragged his thoughts back and looked round at all the children. "If you've finished perhaps you would like to go and play outside for a while." he said absently.
Tinker grinned as he said "OK Dad, we'll make ourselves scarce now," and the children got up from the table and quietly left the room.
"Sorry about that," said Tinker, "He forgets we aren't about five years old I think."
"Don't worry Tinker," said George. "We know what it's like. My father is just the same!"
"I think we'd better have a quiet game of cards, or something similar." said Dick. "We don't want to go to bed just yet, do we!"
Looking at his watch Julian laughed. "Not just yet, it's only eight o'clock, but we must ring Aunt Fanny and warn her we'll be home tomorrow. May we use your phone Tinker please?"
"Of course," said Tinker, so while Julian was ringing his aunt, the others settled down in the sitting room with a very full Timmy sitting by Jo and George and Mischief sitting as usual on Tinker's shoulder.
Last edited by Daisy on 06 Aug 2012, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

While Julian was out using the phone, the children debated what to do with the rest of the evening. They didn't feel like going to bed and discussed card games when Anne said: "I would fancy a walk, how about the rest of you?"
"If you had had to cycle here, you wouldn't," teased Dick. "I wouldn't mind taking a little stroll, too. How about you, George, Jo and Tinker?"
Tinker thought for a moment, then he said: "There's a lovely walk across the meadows to a small pond, I think we didn't do that when you were here. We could do that, it's always lovely when the moon comes out and is reflected in the pond."
"Oh, great," said Anne, Jo and George.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

The children let themselves quietly out of the house after Tinker had told Jenny what they were doing.
"We don't want to be locked out!" he said "and Jenny always locks up as soon at it gets dark."
They all wandered through the peaceful garden as Tinker led them to the little gate which was bolted. He slid the bolt back and the children stepped through onto the lane down which Tinker led them to the meadow.
The moon was just rising and there was an eerie light as it cast shadows on the path. Anne slipped her hand through Julian's arm as they came to the pond Tinker had spoken of.
"You weren't wrong Tinker." said Dick. "That's a lovely sight." and they all stood drinking in the view of the moonlight on the water.
"I love the way the light seems to ripple as the wind disturbs the surface." said George. "It reminds me of the nights when I've been out in my boat at Kirrin... so lovely and peaceful."
They stood there for a few more moments then Tinker yawned. That set the others off and laughingly Julian turned round and said "Come on, time for bed I think. We have quite a long ride ahead of us tomorrow, so a good night's sleep would be very useful!"
Secretly they were all very glad to get to bed that night. They said 'goodnight' to Jenny and the professor after Jenny had insisted on giving them a drink of cocoa and a few biscuits.
All was quiet and the household slept well. Jenny was happy that the professor and Tinker were home and she was no longer in charge of a large empty house. The professor slept well knowing his latest work was finished and the children slept soundly after their strenuous day starting with the clearing of the lighthouse, to the sailing at the boatyard and their last meal at Demon's Rock in the friendly café, before their arrival at Tinker's and their moonlit walk. Julian was the last to sleep as his mind wandered over the day, then he too turned over with a sigh of contentment and knew no more until the morning.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

The children awoke to the sound of raindrops tapping on the windows.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

"What a shame!" said Anne as she looked out at the wet garden. "I do hate cycling in the rain."
"Never mind," said George. "We've all got cycle capes and we can look forward to a hot bath when we get home."
"Yes" said Jo. "At least we're not just cycling on to another place where we may not be able to dry ourselves so easily."
"Anyway," continued George as she swung her legs onto the floor," It may have stopped by the time we want to set off."
The three girls got washed and dressed and went downstairs where the boys were already waiting in the dining room.
"Jenny says breakfast won't be long." said Tinker. "She's cooking you a big meal so you won't feel hungry on your ride to Kirrin."
"She's very kind." said Anne. "I'll just pop into the kitchen to see if she needs any help."
"I'll come too," said George, "and let Timmy out into the garden."
The girls were soon back, Anne carrying a big plate of bacon and George a dish of fried tomatoes. Jenny followed them with a bowl of scrambled eggs. "Sit yourselves down," she told them as she put the eggs down, "I'll just fetch the mushrooms and fried bread."
"Gosh!" said Dick as he took his seat. "This looks lovely, but I think we'll need a little rest before we set off on our bikes!"
"Well, by the time we've packed up our overnight things and helped Jenny tidy away the bedding, I expect your breakfast will have shaken down a bit!" said Jo as she helped herself to a spoonful of egg.
The children thoroughly enjoyed their meal and as they sipped cups of tea after consuming what seemed to Jenny to be a huge amount of toast and marmalade, Julian said "Well, we've had a wonderful holiday and this is a great way to finish it!"
"Yes," echoed Dick. "Thank you Jenny and Tinker for your hospitality. Is your father likely to appear before we go Tinker?"
"Goodness knows," Tinker grinned as he replied. "It depends how late he went to bed I expect. We never know when he's likely to turn up for any meal!"
At last it was time to gather their things together. The rain was still falling, but Jenny assured them it was less heavy than earlier and she expected they would run out of it as they cycled towards Kirrin.
The professor still hadn't appeared when it was time to go. "Don't worry," said Tinker. "He probably won't remember you were here anyway!"
"I suppose we shouldn't delay any longer." said George, "Thanks for everything Tinker, especially for letting us share your lighthouse again. It's been super!"
The others added their thanks to Tinker and Jenny as they got the bikes ready. They managed to pack all their luggage into the baskets and saddle bags and at last set off down the drive.
As they swept along with Timmy running beside George Julian looked back to where a rather lonely boy was standing on the steps with Mischief on his shoulder, waving to his friends as they disappeared round the bend.
"We must make sure we let Tinker know when we get our new boat." he said to George as he drew level with her.
"Yes, we must." his cousin agreed. "It's been a super holiday, hasn't it."
"Most of the time," Julian replied, "Although I'm not sure Anne would agree with you to that extent!"
George laughed, but her thoughts were already turning to the thought of the new boat which would be ready for them when they broke up from school for the summer holidays.
"Gosh," she said, "Won't it be wonderful...." And Julian knew exactly what she meant.

THE END

Society Member
lilyrose1599
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Adventure series/Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Julian & George Kirrin, Dinah, Fatty

Post by lilyrose1599 »

Great story! I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks Daisy and Dick Kirrin. :D

Mu'minah
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thank you Mu'minah. We enjoyed writing it.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Brilliant story!
:D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thank you, Poppy H. :D

Feedback, especially positive one is always welcome. :) :wink: