Five Face Up to a Challenge - new FF story

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Five Face Up to a Challenge - new FF story

Post by Daisy »

"Hold on George!" Julian cautioned. "Getting too much sail could blow us off course. Let's keep going as we are for a bit longer.We aren't last you know!"
George frowned but stopped untying the sail rope she had been about to loosen. Jo was sitting in the prow, an arm round Timmy and the wind whipped her curls into a swirling mop as she gazed at the swelling water.
"OK Jo!" called Julian after a few moments. "We'll need you in a minute as we go round the buoy."
Jo got up and moved over to where George was crouching, ready for the call from Julian. He stood by the main mast and watched carefully as the boat started to approach the turning point.
Back in the tea tent, Jake was explaining what would happen later. "They usually race the first three from each heat, so there'll be six boats in the final, but remember they'll be the best six, so don't expect too much of yourselves. You did well to get through and I'm sure when the times are checked you will be well up in the order. It certainly looked as if you were first, but that doesn't matter, it's the final that counts!"
Dick was looking round the tent and he spotted Daniel sitting with Mr Perton in a corner well away from the tables where the food was being served. Waving across to them, he said to Anne "I'm going to have a word with Daniel and old Perton, coming?"
Anne looked at Tinker who was standing just outside the entrance with Mischief on his shoulder. "No, I'll stay with Tinker," she said. "He's been told he can't come into the tent with Mischief, so I'll keep him company."
"OK,I won't be long," replied Dick and he threaded his way through the crowds until he reached the two men who appeared to be deep in conversation.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

They didn't notice the boy at first. "Daniel, Mr Perton? Am I disturbing you?"
Daniel smiled: "No, you don't Dick. It's just that we were discussing Mr Perton's business plans. A lot of good ideas, and capital to see them come true, I'd say."
Mr Perton looked pleased: "Glad you liked my plan. And I think there could be room for Mr Markhoff in it, too. There's only one question that I feel doubtful about and maybe you are just the person to help me out."
Dick and Daniel looked at the man: "Well, from what I know about Markhoff, he#s likely to know me, by reputation at least. Do you consider it likely that he'll believe me if I tell him that there is absolutely nothing against the law in the ventures I want to engage him in?" Mr Perton explained.
"Hmmm,"Daniel started. "I don't know. But that can be discussed later. I'm not sure that you just asking for a permit to see him in jail without any former explanation would be a good idea. So maybe we'll have to contact him by letter, or by personal introduction. But there is the other matter we discussed, Perton. How about that?"
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Dick waited politely as Mr Perton cleared his throat. Well," he began, "Your friend here has passed on to me your reaction to my offer. I must admit I was rather surprised at your reluctance to accept my wish to give you a reward for your help, but maybe I don't know you very well. I thought most children would jump at such a present, but instead here you are asking for help for someone else - someone who was once extremely nasty to you. Perhaps you can explain?"
Dick moved closer to the two men and spoke quietly. "We never expect rewards Mr Perton and the size of yours is rather overwhelming. However, if you really wish to give us something that we will all enjoy, then we are happy to accept the cabin cruiser you so generously thought of. But we wanted to do something for Markhoff who has had a very poor start in life and really has turned over a new leaf. So we sort of thought we could perhaps ask you to do him a good turn, and in return we will say thank you very much and accept your wonderful gift."
Mr Perton sat back and looked with respect at Dick's earnest face. Then he smiled. "Thank you Dick. You are far more generous that I have ever been, so I'm glad you are giving me the opportunity to show some generosity too. Your gift will be ordered tomorrow!"

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Dick looked at the two smiling men. "Thank you, Mr Perton. But did you say order? One of the cruisers Jake's father has for sale would do perfectly. You really needn't go to the trouble and expense to buy a completely new boat."
Mr Perton grinned broadly. "Maybe I needn't, but I want to. As this is to be yours and is to be yours for a very long time, I want you to work out every detail, right down to the colour of the rugs on the bunk beds. Jake will be more than eager to help. Besides his father's boats are either part of their hire pool and thus not for sale - not even to you, I've asked believe me, or they are owned by other people who will not sell them. A boat is a dream turned into wood and sails, you see. You don't sell it if you don't really have to. And we'll have to spend a day or two together anyway, as I need your help in contacting my new employee, so both could be done at the same time."
Dick thought for a moment. This was even more genrous than he had thought. He'd never thought Mr Perton to become philosophical about boats and it took some getting used to. A man he had known as a villain who now talked of dreams? Then he remembered what Mr Perton had said about his reasons for setting up the jailbreaking service, maybe there was something there that tied in nicely. Back then he had said that he valued freedom so highly that nobody should be deprived of it for whatever reason. Out at sea on your boat there was that sort of freedom. A big grin appeared on his face. Mr Perton who had watched him, nodded. "You ought to train as mind-reader, Dick," he said. "Yes, a boat might give you back the freedom I took from you when we first met which is why I wanted to give you one. But hadn't you better leave and see how your brother is coping? Mr Collins and me will join you in a minute."
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Dick smiled his thanks and made his way back to the doorway where Anne was waiting with Tinker. "Has the race finished yet?" he asked as they pushed forward through the crowds.
"It sounds like it by the shouting and cheering!" Tinker replied. "I wonder how the others got on!"
"We'll soon find out," said Dick as he spotted Jake. Jake's broad grin was enough. "They're in the final with you!" he said as they met up. "They came third, but the other two were experts who have raced here quite often."
"Oh good," said Anne. "Let's go and find them and they can have a cup of tea and a cake or two and Dick can tell us how he got on with Mr Perton just now."
As soon as they were all together and had heard from George just how hard they had had to work to get into the final, Dick told them what Mr Perton had said.
"Gosh, fancy being able to choose all the fittings," said George. "And the materials for the furnishings." added Anne.
"Did he say he was ordering it tomorrow Dick?" asked Julian. "I wonder how long before we can see it!"
At that moment Daniel and Mr Perton joined them. "I heard what you said Julian." Mr Perton said "and I can tell you that my contacts are able to bring a vessel almost ready for fitting right here tomorrow morning. How does that sound?"
"Amazing," said Julian, "But very nice for us as we haven't too much longer before we need to go home and get ready for school again."
Last edited by Daisy on 12 Jul 2012, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Mr Perton nodded: "I thought you'd be pressed for time which is why I made it a little urgent. So I'd suggest that you have a cup of tea and some food now and if Jake can spare you the time you already could make a preselection, so that my fellows can start work the day after tomorrow."
"Sounds good, we will do that. Don't push the people too hard, we can stay here for about three more days, Mr Perton," replied Julian.
"All right, I'll tell that to the chandler and to Jake's people as they'll do most of the work. But I think there is another matter we'll have to address in the few remaining days. Mr Markhoff and my way of hiring him. You see, I'd like to know as much about him as I can, so that I can think of a good job for him, a job he'll like. And I suppose I'll need a letter of introduction from you, too," said Mr Perton.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

"We won't need any more to eat just now after our snack and we must be ready to sail again fairly soon, so we mustn't be too full!" laughed George, "so perhaps we can decide on a cruiser if we have the time. Have you got a catalogue with designs to choose from?"
"Yes, of course" replied Mr Perton, and turning to Jake he said "How long before their race Jake?"
"At least half an hour." answered Jake. "I'll come and fetch you if you miss the loud-hailer calling you all."
"I'm sure you could stay and look too Jake." said Anne. "We might appreciate your advice."
"No, you're better by yourselves," replied Jake. "Andrew and I are going to have a look at the visiting boats for a while. See you later!"
Mr Perton and Daniel led the way back to the boatshed where Mr Perton said he had left a couple of catalogues and where they would be able to talk freely without a crowd around them.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

In the boatshed, Mr Perton pointed to a table scattered with catalogues, brochures and price lists. "Have fun," he grinned. "By the way, I've marked some items with a red pencil to make it easier for you. These are items that would fit the boat which will arrive tomorrow - on approval or return."
"On approval or return?" asked Jo. "What does that mean?"
"If we don't like the vessel, we just say so and they take it back," replied Dick. "But what does that mean, Mr Perton? Are you saying that we can actually chose any kind of vessel?"
"In a way, yes," replied Mr Perton. "I said one boat, in fact it's more than one, up to three different ones is what they promised me. One is a hull they have going spare after the man who had ordered the boat had to cancel the order. He is a high officer in the Army and he got promoted, but unfortunately this means he has to relocate to a base in the Midlands too far away from the sea. They have already built the hull and now they can fit it to your taste, if you like it. The other one is about 30 years old, but made of solid wood. It would want a new engine, new sails and a general overhaul, however. The last one, which they aren't sure they can bring along is slightly bigger than the usual cabin cruiser or small yacht. It used to be a patrol boat and has been committed to surplus. I've seen it, it's a lovely vessel, but it has a steel hull and the engine has to be changed entirely, as it's still steam-powered and you don't do that any more. The sails are pretty OK, though. In the unlikely event that none of the boats will suit you, they'll also bring plans for vessels to be built from scratch. But now for the catalogues, you'll see that I put the numbers 1 to 3 on the pages. One stands for the hull, two for the old yacht and three for the patrol boat."
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

The children stood staring down at the various catalogue pages wondering quite where to begin. Julian cleared his throat, then said "So we can choose which one we like, and then decide on the fittings from the pages you've numbered?"
Mr Perton nodded. He smiled as he watched the different ways the children reacted to his words. George grabbed the first one and studied it for a moment. Dick picked up the second and Julian stared at the third one. Would the biggest one be best for them he wondered. Turning to Mr Perton he said "It's going to take some time to decide on this. I hope you aren't expecting a quick answer?"
"Well, if you can decide today on which hull you want, I can get it here soon, and meanwhile you can choose the rest of the fittings to go with it."
"Phew!" said George. "I like the look of the one meant for the Army officer, but honestly, I'd be happy with any of them!"
Just then the loud-hailer sprang to life announcing the next race would be starting in ten minutes. The children immediately put the papers down and ran out of the shed.
Jumping into their boats they managed to get into position with only a minute to go.
"Gosh, that was close!" said George to Julian. "Wouldn't it have been awful if we'd missed the final because of choosing our new boat!"
Julian and Jo both laughed. "What's more important George?" Jo grinned at her as she stood waiting for the signal to start the race.
"This race at the moment!" replied George. "Tie Timmy up will you Jo? We can't have him moving about once we start."
Jo had just fastened Timmy's lead to the mast, when a shot rang out and the six boats began to move. Dick and his crew were at the other end of the line and they wren't able to see much of each other.
"Perhaps that's as well," thought Julian as he moved the boat onto the course set for the race and they began to move quickly to the mouth of the harbour.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Dick's boat had a good start, too and soon they saw Julian's crew. After about a mile, there was a clear leader, then came a group of four boats, Julian's, Dick's and two others which were already falling back. "Seems we'll be in the top three," smiled Dick.
"Whatever we do, make sure George is first," said Tinker, aware of her temper.
"No can do," laughed Dick. "That would be most unfair. If she wants to be first, she'll have to work for it!"
Just as he said that, the wind turned and fell right into their sails. George was quick to react and soon it was clear that even though they had no chance to catch up the leading boat, there was no other boat that could take the second or third position from them.
"Go, go, go," muttered George as she saw that Dick was in line with them. But whatever she did, Dick's boat kept ist position and before both crews even realized it, they had passed the line.
"What a race!" boomed the loud-hailer. "One clear winner and two boats coming in second. And these were sailed by the same family! This is a first one in the history of Demon's Rock!"
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

The tired children moored their boats and scrambled up the steps to the quayside. "Are you sure we both came second?" asked George. "I really thought we were a bit ahead of you Dick!"
"Oh yes, that's what the judge says so it must be true." Dick grinned at his cousin. "Actually if we had had to go any further I think we might have edged ahead!"
Before George could respond Julian took them both firmly by the arms and they all went together to where the judges were waiting to present the cup to the winner.
"Very well done, everyone." boomed his voice through the loud speaker. "A very close race and many congratulations to our visitors who came second. Jake must be very proud of you!"
"What does he know about Jake?" asked Jo in surprise.
"It's a small place. Everyone who lives here seems to know everything that's going on." said Tinker. "I bet all the contestants knew we were going in for the races ages ago!"
The crowd clapped hard as the six children with Timmy and Mischief as well, went onto the raised platform and shook hands with the judge who was also presenting the prizes. Besides a little cup for each team, everyone received an envelope which when they opened them later found inside a voucher for some item which could be bought from Jake's boatyard. "Oh, how kind!" exclaimed Anne. "We could get some extras for our cruiser, couldn't we!"
"Depends what's left to need after Mr Perton has allowed us to fit it out." said Dick. "But it's a good idea. We'll have to see what Jake thinks."
Daniel and Mr Perton hurried over to them and congratulated them over their fine win. "Just the proof I needed to be sure you were deserving of the gift I'm getting for you!" Mr Perton smiled broadly. "Come on, I want your choice now, so I can phone through and get it delivered tomorrow."
"Phew, he doesn't want us to hang about, does he!" muttered Dick to his brother.
Julian grinned as they all went back to the shed to make their final choice.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

A big table of food and tea, coffe and cocoa had arrived there as had Jake and Andrew.
"Compliments from my mother," laughed Jake. "Would you mind if Andrew and I stayed on. We're nearly bursting to know what you'll finally opt for."
"Not at all. In fact, your advice will be most welcome. After all, we have two experts here whose brains can be picked," replied Julian.
"If you don't mind, I'll join Mr Collins for a walk," said Mr Perton. "I think you should discuss the matter among yourselves first."
Daniel and Mr Perton left.
"Phew," said Dick and George at the same time. "Now, are there any preference?" asked Julian.
"As I said, the pre-ordered vessel looks nice - and it would be brand new," said George.
"Yes, but I think it's a little too small for six people and a dog," remarked Dick. "I'd rater opt for either the former patrol boat, which is considerably bigger, or the yacht which would, no doubt require the most work to fix."
"You are forgetting the engine," cut in Julian. "The patrol boat needs a completely new one."
"So far, we have several favourites," laughed Jo. "What do the experts say?" asked Anne.
Jake and Andrew looked at the papers of the vessels offered, then at each other. They both nodded and pointed - both on the old patrol boat. "This would be my first choice, then I think I'd go for the pre-ordered hull," said Jake.
"Would you tell us why?" asked TInker.
"Well, first thing, there's the hull made of steel. That means it'll be rather solid and easy to maintain and service. Wood looks nicer, that's true but it requires a lot more attention. So here we have the patrol boat coming in first. The hull is brand new, so there shouldn't be too much trouble within the next years. Well-kept, it could be near on twenty years for the first big repairs to show up. Then there is the engine. All boats would need a new one of course, but on the patrol boat you can install a real good and powerful one - there's plenty of room. Also you can get some real big storage tanks for fuel and water installed without being crowded, so you could stay at sea for weeks if you feel like it. My last point is the sails. Both the hull and the patrol boat offer you the most options whatever rigging you'll finally settle for. The yacht has to have the exactly same rigging it has now, and reliable as it may be, it's not the best for speed. Nowadays, you wouldn't install it on a new vessel. FInally, there is the problem of space, as Dick already pointed out. The patrol boat can already sleep a crew of eight people with some comfort. Remember, out at sea, space is at a premium and the closer you are. the sooner you can get onto each other's nerves which is horrible."
"OK, thank you, Jake," said Julian. "Well, now. What do you say, Andrew?"
"More or less the same as Jake. There is one other point which I'd like to mention. In heavy seas, a bigger boat doesn't bob about as much and is easier to handle - as long as the crew is big enough. Not your problem as you'll be four or so at least. True, you cannot get as close to the shore, but you could either take a dinghy or a small rubber boat, you know, one of the inflatable ones."
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

"Well it looks as if we should choose the old patrol boat then," said Julian. "Putting in a new engine wouldn't take any longer than building up a boat from scratch, so to speak, so shall we tell Mr Perton we've decided?"
Before anyone could speak there was a loud hooting over the loud speaker system.
"What on earth's that for?" asked Jo in surprise. "It made me jump!"
"Time for the parade. Come on, back to your boats everyone. Remember I said there was a grand parade at the end of the races?" said Jake.
"Gosh, yes!" gasped George and she grabbed Timmy's lead and led the group back out onto the quayside.
It took a while for all the competitors to board their boats but at last everyone seemed ready. It was a very pretty sight as the colourfully decorated boats streamed towards the harbour mouth and turned to follow the coast for a short way. The pace was fairly slow and the children had time to look at their surroundings.
"Oh, we're going towards the lighthouse!" exclaimed Anne. "How nice to see it from the other side."
Tinker laughed. "That sounds funny, but I know what you mean. It looks as if we're going to go right past the village. I suppose that gives everyone a chance of seeing us, even if they haven't come up to watch the races."
Sure enough, the shop owners who had been at work and anyone else who had stayed behind, were out on the road to watch everything. Suddenly Jo began to wave at the crowd and there was a cheer and an answering wave as they all waved back. Soon the boats were moving along to the sound of loud cheers which excited Timmy so much that he added his voice to the others with his deep barks. There was laughing and cheering until they all passed out of sight, then the leader began to turn. In a big curve, the whole row of boats began the return journey. Amid the cheers of the crowds on the road they went slowly back to the boatyard.
Disembarking took a bit of time, but at last they were all back in the shed to see Mr Perton and give him their verdict.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Mr Perton nodded. "I thought you'd like that vessel best. I'll ring my supplier to have it brought here tomorrow as soon as possible. Here is their list of necessary changes and here are some catalogues containing items that could be used. As I guess you'll be rather tired and could do with a break, why don't you take them back to the lighthouse and study them later? I'm sure Jake would come over if you need his help."
"Thanks Mr Perton. Yes that sounds a good idea. But we'd like to have a nice long walk first. Maybe Daniel would like to come along? And what about you?" replied Julian.
"Thank you for your invitation, Julian. Sorry that I cannot come along, but there is plenty of work to be done in the office and if I am to take some time off tomorrow to have a look at the boat with you, I'd better do it now. I have a contract with Jake's father, remember?" replied Mr Perton, who inwardly was glad for the excuse as he thought that the children had just invited him as it was the decent thing to do and he couldn't blame him. 'If I were to be given a huge gift by a former enemy I would want some peace and quiet, too,' he thought.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Turning to Jake Julian said "When do we take all the bunting off? Do you want us to do it yet?"
Jake shook his head. "Leave it Julian. The boats are usually left as they are until the following day. It gives anyone who wants, time to take photos of them. No doubt you'll all be here tomorrow to see your new boat!"
"Oh that's OK then. We'll get off now I think. See you tomorrow then Jake." Julian turned back to the others and together they set off along the coast road back to Demon's Rock.
"Are you going further along or do you want to go straight back to the lighthouse?" asked Daniel.
"I think I'd like to have a rest when we get back to the lighthouse." said Anne. "Though if George wants to take Timmy further along the beach for a good walk, I don't mind going in on my own and starting a meal for us all."
Dick laughed as he said "That sounds great Anne. Who's coming for a long walk and who's going to help Anne?"
In the end Anne, Tinker and Jo decided to go straight home while the others enjoyed a brisk and breezy walk along the rocky beach.
When they reached Demon's Rock Daniel said "You lot go on, I'm going to see PC Sharp, just to make sure everything's OK and to say 'goodbye' if it is."
"Goodness, I hope it is!" said Anne.
"Sure to be, don't worry Anne." Daniel smiled at the girl. "You go along and rustle up a celebration meal for us all. I'll see you later!"

Society Member