Children's Book Characters Quiz

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This is a quiz with a difference as it is intended to amuse the whole family over the holiday season and isn’t a Blyton one, but I didn’t know where else to put it! For the moment at any rate, it would be best not to post the answers in this thread.

The aim is simple, there are 50 questions and all that is required is the forename and surname of 50 characters. These are taken from books by 50 different children’s authors, written over a wide period of time, so there are questions for both the children and the grandparents.

You can also attempt to name the book title and author if you want. 34 of these characters have had more than one book written about them and in these cases you need to name the first book in the series. Over half of them have appeared in films or TV series.

So it is possible to score 200 points, but I imagine that some of the questions will be quite difficult, it took me several days to work them out! I hope it provides a bit of fun.

1. His siblings are John, Susan and Titty and they are rivals with Nancy and Peggy.
2. He lives with his father and five siblings, Dora, Oswald, Dicky, Alice and Horace Octavius.
3. He has a sister called Lauren, their surname used to be Choke and his first girlfriend was Kerry.
4. He is a bit of an outlaw and has an elder sister called Ethel and an elder brother called Robert,
5. With Miss Heliotrope and Wiggins she went off to Moonacre when her father died.
6. She has six brothers, the youngest being Ron and she married her childhood sweetheart.
7. She has two brothers, a sister called Susan and a cousin called Eustace Clarence.
8. He met his best friend, Charles Darbishire on his first day at Linbury Court
9. She has a twin brother called Richard, an elder brother called David and a dog called Macbeth,
10. He lives in Puddlebury-on-the-Marsh, has a sister called Sarah and a dog called Jip.
11. He lived with his Uncle Ian but when he died an American called Jack became his guardian.
12. She has a nickname ‘Little Tranquility’ and three sisters, Meg, Jo and Amy.
13. She solves mysteries with her friends, Jonathan, Nubia and Lupus.
14. He has a brother, William and sisters, Rosie and Tess and a dog called Zero.
15. On a train to Berlin he has his money stolen, but then he meets Gustav and the gang.
16. With help from Jan, he survives the war in Poland with his two sisters, Ruth and Bronia.
17. She has two elder sisters, Pauline and Petrova, and all three were adopted by Gum.
18. With her brother Klaus and her baby sister Sunny, she battles against the wicked Count Olaf.
19. When his brother Peter caught Measles he went to stay with his Uncle Alan and Aunt Gwen.
20. He has an older brother called Robin and an older sister called Jill and a nickname of Bunkle.
21. He moved to a strange new house with his twin brother Simon and his sister Mallory.
22. With her brother Nick she gets evacuated in the war to the Evans Family in Wales.
23. She left One End Street to spend the summer at the Dew Drop Inn
24. When his father and step-mother move to Burma he goes to live with his great grandmother.
25. He has a housemaster called Codrose and he ‘messes’ with Pritpal and Tommy.
26. He is a 14 year-old who gets shipwrecked with Ralph Rover and Jack Martin.
27. He lives in Filbert Street with two grandmothers, Maisie and Grizelda, and his Uncle Paton.
28. His father kept the Admiral Benbow Inn and he went to sea on the Hispaniola.
29. He lived at Arnwood, with his brother Humphrey and his sisters, Alice and Edith.
30. Whilst on the run he goes by accident into another world where he meets Lyra.
31. He has three older brothers, Fritz, Ernest and Jack and they are shipwrecked with their parents.
32. After her parents die from cholera in India she comes to live with her Uncle in Yorkshire.
33. He lives in Blackbury and has friends, Wobbler, Yo-less, Bigmac, Kirsty and Kasandra.
34. With his older brother Hal he has a series of Adventures in a variety of exotic locations.
35. As her mum is a famous film star she has to live in a Children’s Home.
36. Her father, Mo, has the ability to read characters out of books.
37. He arrives at his new school and is befriended by a boy called Ned East who looks after him.
38. Her older sister Madge runs a school in the Tyrol where she is a pupil.
39. She lives in Burnet with her father who is a doctor, and is the eldest of six children.
40. He lives at Punchbowl Farm with his older brother Dion, and sisters, Lindsey and Andrea.
41. He lives in a London of the future when cities move and gets left behind with Hester Shaw.
42. An oversized member of the Remove always in trouble with Mr. Quelch.
43. A wartime evacuee whose mother wants him to be billeted near a church.
44. She is an orphan who travelled to the Amazon with a governess to live with a cousin.
45. He is a 12 year-old child prodigy dedicated to crime who lives with his bed-ridden mother.
46. He moves from Croydon next door to twins Donald and Jeanie, and their little sister Pat.
47. She has a romance with Edward Cullen and a friendship with Jacob Black.
48. His sister Alison finds a strangely patterned dinner service in the loft.
49. As the oldest she is protective of her flock, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel.
50. He lived with his parents and four grandparents in a small house and one day his luck changed.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Children's Book Characters Quiz

Post by Lucky Star »

At first glance I've got about six. :roll: But its definitely a great puzzler. I shall be thinking of some of the clues all day at work now. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Looks like stupendous fun, Tony! Our printer isn't working at present so I'll have to come back to the questions when I have more time.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Love this quiz - even though it comprehensively exposes my lack of knowledge of recent books - will definitely have to get a young relative to help me with the modern ones :lol:
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I recognise some of them but not all that many. Something to pore over and return to.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It looks like a great quiz, Tony. :) It should be fun to attempting to find the answers over the coming weeks!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Is Google allowed?! At first glance I can only solve 2! :roll:

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I can do about 30 off the top of my head, but I think that I'll need Google for the rest! And of the ones that I do know, in some cases I don't know their full names, so would have to look them up, as well.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Great concept, Tony....and :wink: a link to the matching crossword-puzzle frame would make parts of it a tad easier.....*Ducks brickbats, door-stoppers, rotten tomatoes, etc*

Gadzooks the Gadfly :P
Tony Summerfield

Ming wrote:Is Google allowed?! At first glance I can only solve 2! :roll:
I guess you can use anything you want, but I am not sure how much Google will help you. I actually have copies of 46 of the books and of the other four I have other books in the same series, but even with the books it proved quite difficult in some cases trying to find both forename and surname. I had to abandon some books for that reason, and for Anita's benefit (offline conversation), I couldn't find a surname for Heidi despite going through the whole book and the continuation books - it isn't only Enid who has had sequels added! :lol:

Perhaps I ought also add for the benefit of Gadzooks the Gadfly who posted above, that all the books are best sellers, there is nothing obscure here, so if you are looking for a Cherry's reference forget it!! :lol: :lol:
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Ah, but a Cherry on top would have been:
  • 'the final master touch,
    that made the quiz complete
    '

Gadzooks the Gadfly :lol:
Muminah
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers & Dog Series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent & Darrel.

Post by Muminah »

Great quiz Tony! :D I recognise some but most of the others are a Mystery. :?
"How funny grown-ups are!"said Anne, puzzled."I'm quite certain I shall be thrilled to see a sliding panel or a trap-door even when I'm a hundred".
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote:Ah, but a Cherry on top would have been:
  • 'the final master touch,
    that made the quiz complete
    '

Gadzooks the Gadfly :lol:
[Moonraker repairs to the cupboard in search of a giant fly-swat] Image
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

It's been tried, Moonraker, but to no avail. Gadzooks may not be all that bright but he does have :P lightning-fast reflexes.... :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, back to Tony's Quiz....there were 7 blanks in the answers I pm'd to Tony, so it shouldn't be too hard to beat my score.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
Tony Summerfield

Gadzooks Gadfly!! :shock: :shock: I'm incredibly impressed with your vast knowledge of children's books! It all goes to show that there is no substitute for experience.

You actually scored 160 out of a possible 200 and not surprisingly the things you came unstuck on were mostly modern books (you even scored 2 points for correctly naming authors who you refuse to read!!).

I disagree when you say that your score shouldn't be too hard to beat, offhand I can only think of one person who might beat that and we all know who that is! A fantastic achievement! :roll: