Sandie Annual 1974 - The Secret Of Willowdene

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Sandie Annual 1974 - The Secret Of Willowdene

Post by pete9012S »

This story is from the Sandie 1974 Annual:

The story reminded me of these two very old stones in North Wales:

Two early Christian Inscribed Stones. The Anelog Stones at Aberdaron, Gwynedd, at SH.173264. In the chancel of St Hywyn's church, Aberdaron, at the southern tip of the Lleyn Peninsula, two 5th or 6th century stone slabs can be found.

They were discovered back in the 18th century at Capel Anelog, the site of a long lost Celtic monastery, on the eastern slope of Mynydd Anelog in the valley of the River Sant. This monastery was probably a dependancy of the much bigger monastery on Bardsey Island across the strait.
The two grave slab, from 500 AD, are inscribed with Latin messages. When translated they say 'Veracius the priest lies here' and 'Senacus the priest lies here with the multitude of brethren priests'. Their names are probably Romano-British. They were, apparently, priests from the monastery at Capel Anelog, 1 mile NW of the church. Today, a farm called Gors mark the site.

St Hywyn, son of King Gwyndaf Hen and cousin of St Cadfan, was the founder of Aberdaron church. He was second abbot of Bardsey Island, after St Cadfan, in the early 6th century. His feast day is celebrated on 6th January.

These two stones were found at Capel Anelog, a site on the eastern slope of Mynydd Anelog, a few miles north of Aberdaron. It may have been the original monastery of the community which was later established on Bardsey and Aberdaron. Both stones date from the early 6th century and look as if they were carved by the same sculptor.

Both record the graves of priests. One is inscribed VERACIUS / PBR / HIC / IACIT, or: Veracius the priest lies here. The letters PBR are an abbreviation for PRESBYTER, shortened by contraction. The other stone reads SENACUS / PSBR / HIC IACIT / CVM MULTITV/D(I)NEM / FRATRVM / PRESB(IT)E[R], or: Senacus the priest lies here with the multitude of the brethren, Priest.

Aberdaron had a monastic community linked to that on Bardsey, the centre of great pilgrimages. The fine 12th century west door and extension of the church in the early 16th century are evidence of the wealth these pilgrims brought.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Sandie Annual 1974 - The Secret Of Willowdene

Post by Kate Mary »

Thanks for the stories Pete, I love old annuals but don’t have any Sandie Annuals. Over Christmas I’ve been reading Girls Crystal Annuals from the 1940s, they are great fun.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Sandie Annual 1974 - The Secret Of Willowdene

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Pete! I like tales like this, involving hunting for lost family treasure. As we know, Enid Blyton was rather fond of the theme! I didn't hear of Ogham inscriptions until I was an adult, but if I'd had this annual as a child I'd have loved learning about this ancient script.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member