PG Wodehouse

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

PG Wodehouse

Post by Bertie »

Are there any other PG Wodehouse fans on here? He's my joint favourite author along with Enid. I love his gentle, but incredibly funny, humour and the fact that the books are so innocent and free of the type of constant social and political comment that you get in pretty much everything nowadays.

I'm currently reading through some of my favourite stand alone novels of his. Although, despite being stand alone novels, there are some overlaps amongst many of his books in terms of characters (often members of the Drones club) or areas (the fictional Valley Fields) popping up here and there. I love that part of them as it really helps keep the characters fresh and 'alive' and makes it all feel like a real little world.

I really love his more well known 'series' of books - Jeeves & Wooster, Blandings Castle, Mr Mulliner and Uncle Fred. But, as I said, there's also plenty of stand alone books that I really enjoy as well. I've recently re-read A Damsel in Distress, Big Money and Sam the Sudden - and plan to next move on to the likes of Laughing Gas, Piccadilly Jim and The Luck of the Bodkins after that. All of which I always thoroughly enjoy.

Any other fans of PG on here?
Society Member
db105

Re: PG Wodehouse

Post by db105 »

I do not often seek out humorous novels, but I enjoy Wodehouse's work. Mostly I'm familiar with Jeeves.

These are less well-known, but Wodehouse started his career writing boarding school stories and novels, which may be of interest for fans of Blyton's school stories (although Wodehouse's are set in boys' boarding schools). "Mike" is his most famous school novel, sometimes published in two parts as "Mike at Wrykyn" and "Mike and Psmith". I also have a soft spot for The White Feather, about a schoolboy who, because of an act of cowardice, loses the respect of his peers, and tries to redeem himself by learning to box.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Susie9598

Post by Susie9598 »

I love P G Wodehouse. Mostly Jeeves, but also read his Psmith series, which are similarly razor sharp witty. He’s a very clever writer. I’ve also just finished rereading Jerome K Jerome’s Three Men in a boat, and the less famous sequel Three Men on a Bummel, which are also funny.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yes, db105, I've read those early school boy books as well - though not as often as all his other novels as, like with Enid, I'm not as fond of one's set in schools.

I agree about the 'Mike (and Psmith)' book as it introduces the wonderful Psmith character - who also stars in two or three other books after he'd left school (including the second 'Blandings' book).

As regards the school books, as well as that and The White Feather, I'd also very much recommend 'The Pothunters'. That was his first full book published, when he was just 21 and still working in a bank. It's probably the best introduction for Enid fans as it centres around a mystery (the stealing of the school cups and other things) as well as some good early signs of his developing delightful humour. That's definitely one of my favourites of his school books. :D
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have never read anything by P G Wodehouse, but from what you say I will have to remedy that as the books definitely sound like something I would enjoy.
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I hope you do give PG Wodehouse a go, Boodi. :D

If you decide to, then I'd recommend one of the following: if you read one of his school boy books then, as I said above, I'd suggest The Pothunters for its mystery element.

If you're going for his (much superior) grown up books, then I'd suggest either a Jeeves & Wooster as being his best series, or one of his stand alone books where you're not delving into a series half way. I say that, as I'd probably recommend reading either the 5th or 6th Jeeves book as they're absolutely wonderful. The 6th (The Code of the Wooster's) is probably my favourite of all. But it carries on much of the story of the 5th - with the brilliant added addition of one of his best adversaries, Roderick Spode. So if you opt for that series, then I'd give both a go ('Right Ho, Jeeves' followed by 'Code of the Woosters'). If you don't like those, then I don't think you'll like most of his other stuff!

For his stand alone novels, there's a number of quality ones of a similar ability. I've recently re-read A Damsel in Distress and that's a good one to read as it's very similar in theme to another of his famous series, the Blandings Castle books. Very similar to each of those books, it's set in a quaint village where the forgetful, well meaning Lord just wants to potter around his lovely castle grounds dressed dowdy while gardening - while his intimidating sister (and his snobbish son) try to interfere in his daughters love life - but all very humourously described and involving the usual mix ups, etc :) .
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Bertie, I really will try to get my hands on 'Right Ho, Jeeves' and the 'Code of the Woosters' (in English of course!) and see what I think!
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Very good choice, Boodi. Really hope you enjoy them. :D
As well as introducing the wonderfully aggressive Roderick Spode, The Code of the Woosters also has a fat, pompous policeman and a black Scottie who terrorises him - the source of Goon and Buster, I always think, as Enid was also a fan of PGW.

What I really love about the books is just how the gentle humour rolls along with PG's constantly wonderful terminology. It's not, for me, like there's plenty of 'huge' laughs - but just so many delightfully phrased descriptions that bring so many chuckles.

For instance, on a character's hard laugh: 'She had a laugh like waves breaking on a stern and rock-bound coast'.

And he's always comparing characters looks or actions to animals. But it's the little touches he adds to the terminology. They don't just resemble a sheep, they 'looked like a sheep with a secret sorrow' and who then 'gave a little cough, like a sheep caught in the mist on a mountain top.' And, another time: 'There was nothing of the Lion leaping from it's den about the way I left the bedroom, but rather a suggestion of a fairly diffident snail poking it's head out of its shell during a thunderstorm.'

Delightful! :D
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have now ordered a PG Wodehouse book from our local bookshop and it will be ready for collection on Monday. Unfortunately they were unable to get 'Right Ho, Jeeves', while the 'Code of the Woosters' was available but quite expensive, so I settled for another Jeeves book, which I hope will be good.
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Which one is it, Boodi?
Some are better than others. The first 3 are a collection of short stories, which, while good, don't allow PG the scope to be as funny with descriptions as much as when he has a full novel to tell one story. And the last couple are still quite good, but he was writing up until his death of a heart attack at 93 so wasn't in his prime by then!
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Unfortunately it is one of the first three books (The inimitable Jeeves), but at least it will give me an idea of what the stories are like! I probably would have been wiser to order via Amazon, but as I like to support our local bookshop I went there and after the assistant spending so much time going through what was available I felt that it would be rude to walk away without ordering something...I am probably too polite for my own good. Anyway, it should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to start reading it.
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

That's the very first book in the series so not a bad one to start with anyway. :)

Just bear in mind when reading it that 11 of the 14 books are full length novels, so it's only the first 3 that are collections of short stories. There's also a few of those short stories set in America, which I don't think works as well as the majority set in England. The Jeeves & Wooster series reminds me of the Find Outers in that way - the first 3 are still good but have a different 'feel' until the series settles into its recogniseable format from the fourth book (and then the last one isn't as good due to age / health of PG and Enid).

It'll definitely give you a good idea as to whether you like his style of writing and humour - though I think the full length novels allow him to add in a lot more dry and humorous descriptions, whereas in the shorter stories he has to limit that additional humour while getting on with the stories quicker. But I still find those early books in the series very enjoyable.

Hope you enjoy it as well. :D
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Bertie!

I had no idea it was the very first book in the series, so perhaps that is why the assistant suggested it to me! Needless to say, I will let you know how I enjoy it.
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have now started reading "The Inimitable Jeeves" and have reached Chapter 4 (Pearls mean tears). I am really enjoying it, both the witty descriptions (such as "Bingo dancing like an untamed gazelle") and the unexpected twists (the Hemmingways being the exact opposite of what they claimed to be, much to Aunt Agatha's chagrin). Thanks for the tip Bertie!
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Boodi. I hope you like the rest of it. :D
Society Member