Richard Osman

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Richard Osman

Post by Judith Crabb »

In the Weekend Australian Review on Saturday 23rd Sept I read that the success of this author 'is down to a combination of masterful storytelling, good-natured humour and comforting characters - the UK Sunday Times recently dubbed it 'The Famous Five with older people'...'.
Now that is a recommendation. Will his first crime novel "The Thursday Murder Club' possibly live up to such an accolade? I am about to find out as I have just reserved a copy at the local library. It is available as an audio book too.
Osman is about to embark on an Australian tour to promote his latest book, The Last 'Devil' to Die'. I wonder if I shall get to hear him.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Richard Osman

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Let us know how you get on, Judith. I've never tried any of Richard Osman's books but I always liked him as a presenter on Pointless. He came across as erudite and full of fun.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

When I heard about Richard's first novel, I bought it, as, I like a murder/mystery.

But I have to say, I was a bit disappointed when I came to the end of the book. For me, it didn't flow, like many other authors I have read. Cut to the chase the culprit was obvious, but it was put in a round about way, which I think was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Others may like his style of writing, but sadly it was hard going for me. Not a book that kept me enthralled from the first page to the last. Others I have spoken to have almost said the same, so it's all a matter of taste. Needless to say I wasn't inspired the buy the rest in this series.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have read two books of his and I do agree with Julie. I found them a bit hard going in places, although the idea of where the scenes are set was a bit different and quite original, I thought!

I miss him from Pointless but the recent repeats brought him back for a while!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I haven't read any of Richard's books but, like others have said, I'm a big fan of him as a (co) presenter on Pointless and House of Games - as well as a guest on comedy panel shows where his quick wit holds up very well against all the comedians.

To be honest, when I saw a new thread started about him, I'm just so relieved it's about his books. In the modern climate, any time I see a male celebrity that I like is in the news, my initial worry is either: he's died, or he's been accused of doing / saying something inappropriate.

I'm so glad it was just (negative) reviews of his books. :)
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am with Daisy and Julie. They were quite readable, but didn't grab me. A bit like school homework. I also dislike books written in the present tense - which seems to be becoming more evident now - we were told at school never to do this - but that was a century ago!
To be honest, when I saw a new thread started about him, I'm just so relieved it's about his books. In the modern climate, any time I see a male celebrity that I like is in the news, my initial worry is either: he's died, or he's been accused of doing / saying something inappropriate.
I thought exactly the same, Bertie.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I was just looking for something else on Amazon and I happened to notice the first book referred to above in a listing along the bottom of the page. I opened the page for it and noted that it has a 4.4 Star rating out of approx. 137,000 readers and was wondering how those of you on here who have read it, would rate it out of 5-stars? I haven't read it and probably won't.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

For me, he isn't a good writer. So I would only rate the book about 2 for the story.
I like a book to grab me, and the writer to take me into the book in the first chapter, and also I love a book you just can't put down. You can easily put this one down for a few days. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I found the first one didn't grab me until the [SPOILER ALERT?] second murder occured. After that I was hooked and have read the second and third. Currently I'm waiting for the fourth one to become available at the library. As usual it was ordered well in advance of its publishing date, but will probably be ready for collection some months after that.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I never need more than one invitation to give my opinion about a book, Anita, so here it is. To be honest, about half a book. I borrowed it a couple of weeks ago so the fact that I'm only half way through is relevant. I want my thrillers to be page turners. Incidentally over the same two weeks I have just re-read 'The Long Goodbye' by Raymond Chandler and 'The River of Adventure', perhaps neither written when the respective authors were at the top of their games, but still both far above the league of Richard Osman whose mild social comedy has an air of unreality about it. To have a bunch of septuagenarians hot on the trail of brutal murderer is certainly different. For me the problem is that the concept is so far removed from reality that I can't suspend my disbelief. Yes, I know, Enid Blyton presents a similar problem - all those kids taking on the underbelly of society and coming out unscathed, but not for one minute do I consider this while reading, so engrossed am I in the sheer momentum of her narrative.
So, Julie2owlsdene, I think your comments are spot on, though judging from the book's covers, loaded with blurbs of fulsome support from such fellow practitioners of the novel as Ian Rankin, Kate Atkinson, Val McDermid, Marian Keyes, Harlan Coben etc etc I do wonder if I'm reading the same book that they read.
However, Fiona, I note your comment about after the second murder, so I will plough on, and perhaps next post I shall have a quite different opinion to express.
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Just because someone co presents a tv game or quiz show doesn’t automatically make him a great author.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Barnard wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 08:02 Just because someone co presents a tv game or quiz show doesn’t automatically make him a great author.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that - just that we 'know' him from seeing him on TV.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I meant that Richard, himself, probably, thought it did.