Fyodor Dostoevsky

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I've recently realized that there's no topic where one can solely discuss one of the greatest writers (if not the greatest! :wink: ) of world literature. So I'm starting this one so we can share our thoughts about Dostoyevsky, celebrate his memory and works, and just discuss anything related to him! :D
Fyodor Dostoevsky is (without an ounce of doubt) my favorite writer (even if I do tend to shy away from choosing a "favorite" writer).
Have you read his novels?
Do you have any preferences regarding his works?
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I must confess I've never read anything by Dostoevsky, though I intend to read Crime and Punishment at some point.

Which of his books would you recommend, María Esther?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

About sixty years ago I read Crime and Punishment, about twenty years ago The Brothers Karamazov. On both occasions I understood that I was reading the work of a master. (I recall saying to someone at the time of reading the latter that I realized that one of the points about being alive was to have the privilege of reading Karamazov.) Yet I have not returned to Dostoevsky. A question of temperament? Or just that there is so much I want to read and so little time.
I'll take note of your recommendations, Machupicchu14.
Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 21:34
Which of his books would you recommend, María Esther?
I would say all of his novels are definitely worth reading! :D I haven't yet read all of his works but I know for certain I will not be disappointed. But otherwise I really do recommend Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. They do not only proudly stand as two of Dostoyevsky's best crafted novels, but I'd say they are the two best books in the history of Western classic literature! :wink: (that last part is just my opinion hehe, I'm definitely very biased and perhaps a tad obsessed with Dostoyevsky :lol: )

But otherwise I do also recommend starting with his short stories, or shorter novels like The Gambler to have the first taste of Dostoyevsky's literary style :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I also read this recently on social media, and I don't think I could have found a better description on this unique and important aspect of Russian Literature. It's likewise one of the reasons why I love it so much. :D

Russian literature can be notoriously heavy, cynical, and depressing. Russian authors aren't afraid to write about the dark depths of human suffering. They torture their characters mentally and spiritually. The inward struggle can be suffocating at times. Dickens, Hugo, and Hardy are amazing at writing about suffering and putting their characters through so much. But Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are the masters. There is something unique about Russian literature that resonates with us and makes us long for more.
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Apart from "The Gambler" I have not read anything by Dostoyevsky, but I do enjoy Russian literature, especially slightly more contempory (mid-20th century) authors such as Pasternak and Aitmatov. I also like "The Nose" by Nikolai Gogol. However, I am ashamed to admit that I started Tolstoy's "War and Peace" at least twice and never got beyond the first few chapters, which I actually cannot explain...perhaps the range of characters made it difficult to follow and I lost interest????? Maybe I will hunt it out and bring it with me on my upcoming cruise, along with a few issues of the Journal!!!
Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

That actually happened to me at first with War and Peace and a good few years had to pass before I was in the right mindset to finally read it! And when I did started I literally loved it so much from beginning to end! It's an absolutely incredible novel, definitely worth reading! So I'd say to give it another chance one day :D

I actually have to read more modern Russian Literature, Pasternak is one of the authors at the very top of my tbr list! :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Machupicchu14, I will!

What might also have had an impact was the fact that one of the times I attempted to read it I was in hospital as a result of a bad riding accident when I broke several ribs, one of which pierced my lung, which had to be drained and required several days in hospital. I was in quite a lot of pain and the drainage machine/device was very loud (my fellow patients said it sounded like a stormy day at sea!!) so that situation was not very conducive to my enjoyment of the book and I soon switched to the Famous Five instead!!!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ouch - your accident sounds nasty, Boodi!

Thanks for the recommendations, which are much appreciated. My daughter and her boyfriend have just been to stay, and he recommended The Brothers Karamazov too.

Machupicchu14 wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 14:58 I also read this recently on social media, and I don't think I could have found a better description on this unique and important aspect of Russian Literature. It's likewise one of the reasons why I love it so much. :D

Russian literature can be notoriously heavy, cynical, and depressing. Russian authors aren't afraid to write about the dark depths of human suffering. They torture their characters mentally and spiritually. The inward struggle can be suffocating at times. Dickens, Hugo, and Hardy are amazing at writing about suffering and putting their characters through so much. But Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are the masters. There is something unique about Russian literature that resonates with us and makes us long for more.
That reminds me that Enid Blyton's younger daughter, Imogen Smallwood, loved Russian literature. In A Childhood at Green Hedges she refers to a book about a group of children in wartime Russia which made a great impression on her as the characters were "uncomplicated children, openly warm towards one another as well as patriotically brave. They were, I thought, a great improvement on the stiff little boys and girls at my private school. My love of Russian literature as an adult is intense. Clearly the influence began very early."

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 17:57 Ouch - your accident sounds nasty, Boodi!
Yes indeed, it was not very nice and it took several months before I was fully recovered. I had two minor accidents when I was younger...in one case a large horse called "King" accidently stood on my foot as I was bringing him water, leaving me unable to walk properly for a few days and on another occasion the pony I was riding in a show jumping competition ("Jack"...not "Boodi"!!) suddenly stopped dead and refused a jump in the middle of my round, while I shot over his head and demolished the fence, leading to me being carried off on a stretcher with very bruised ribs (and no doubt pride)!!! The reason I so graciously accepted the doctors' advice and gave up riding after the death of my last horse five years ago is because I am so aware of the risks involved, as since my serious illness in 2010 a fall could be fatal for me. My husband was also relieved as he admitted that while it was great that I was able to continue riding after my illness, he always worried about me when I was out on horseback and prayed that I would come home in one piece. Mind you,I do miss it and occasionally help a friend with mucking out and feeding.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm glad you still have the chance to spend time with a friend's horse even if you're no longer able to ride. My sister fell off her friend's horse when she was thirteen and broke her elbow. She still has operations on her arm every so often to remove bone spurs.

Society Member