Mary Norton - The Borrowers, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Mary Norton - The Borrowers, etc.

Post by Courtenay »

Moved from another topic.

I just recently finished reading Mary Norton's Borrowers series — all 5 books in one volume. I'd heard of these stories since I was little, but never got around to reading them, though I'm pretty sure we had them at the local library. What gave me the incentive was that there's a stage production of The Borrowers coming up at Theatre by the Lake in Keswick in November and December, and I'm planning to be there for a holiday that will coincide with the opening performances, so I booked a ticket and then decided I'd better read the original books beforehand! :wink:

I loved the stories and the sheer detail with which Norton imagines these tiny people and their world, but the whole saga was so wrenching at times — the first four books each ended on a cliffhanger or a highly ambiguous note as to what had happened to Arrietty and her parents, or where they would be going from here. If I'd been following these books as they were being written, I would have been quite desperate for the next book to be published — if there would be one at all — so I could find out what happened next! Especially with the gap between book 4 (The Borrowers Aloft), published in 1961, and book 5 (The Borrowers Avenged), published in 1982!!! :shock:

I was hugely relieved to find that the last book DID have a satisfying ending that wound everything up nicely with nothing important left hanging, but I'm even more relieved that I didn't have to wait 21 years to read it... :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Mary Norton - The Borrowers, etc.

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad you liked the Borrowers books, Courtenay. I read the first four titles at least four times each as a youngster, and luckily happened to spot the publication of the fifth some years later - which I bought even though I was getting a little old (temporarily, at least!) for the series. I soon became absorbed by the Borrowers' miniature world, enjoying the dreaminess and poignancy of the stories as well as the excitement and ingenuity.

I'd be interested to know what the stage production is like. Someone must be having fun making giant props, e.g. enormous pins, cotton reels and nutshells!

There's a Japanese animé based on the The Borrowers, called Arrietty. I bought it on DVD some years ago and it's beautifully animated, conveying the dreamy atmosphere of the books wonderfully well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I had a feeling you'd already be a fan of these books, Anita! :wink: I've heard about the Japanese anime version, but haven't seen it. I'm aware there was a BBC production based on the books at some stage too, as the all-in-one volume I was reading had a still from it on the cover.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 08:23 I'd be interested to know what the stage production is like. Someone must be having fun making giant props, e.g. enormous pins, cotton reels and nutshells!
I'll let you know after I've seen it! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I grew up watching the BBC adaptation of The Borrowers with Ian Holm as Pod Clock (which I now have on DVD as well), but I don't think I read any of the books as a child. I've read them now, though, and seen Arrietty which although different is good. There's also a film version with Jim Broadbent as Pod but it feels rather Americanised - it's set in a fictional world mixing Britain with America as well as things from different eras.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Fiona, I like the version of The Borrowers with Ian Holm as Pod. Even though special effects are more sophisticated these days, it's still a very watchable adaptation. It strikes just the right note and Rebecca Callard is spot on as Arrietty.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just realised I hadn't come back to this thread to share my impressions of the stage play of The Borrowers, which I saw in Keswick a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely loved it! Brilliantly and imaginatively done, excellent acting (and musical numbers!), all really captivating and moving, and I felt it captured the spirit of the books perfectly. The first act was all based on book 1 and was very true to the original story, just somewhat abridged; the second act was based on parts of all the other 4 books, compressing the story a lot and changing the ending a bit, but still very much in keeping with the original. I would highly recommend that production for people of all ages, whether or not they've read the books! (I don't know if has been or is being performed anywhere else at this time — they weren't selling any programmes for it and the leaflet I have simply says it's "adapted for the stage by Theresa Heskins, presented with the permission of the deFaria Company".)
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts regarding the performance of The Borrowers, Courtenay. I'm always interested to hear about stage adaptations of children's books and it's good to know that this one succeeded in conveying the essence of Mary Norton's much-loved stories.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've just read The Pear Affair by Judith Eagle, set in 1960s Paris, and was interested to come across a reference to the Borrowers:
"Wow, those are big machines," breathed Paulette next to her. She was doing something to the mesh with Michel's scissors, snipping away so that she had a clearer view.

There were no people down there. It was deserted. The whole place, apart from a steady hum, was utterly quiet. Nell rubbed her eyes. The huge appliances made her feel like a Borrower.

Society Member